Phantom 4 Pro and CrystalSky
12Next >
5468 60 2017-11-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lewis.bv
lvl.1
United States

So I'm in the market for a crystal sky, and I would like to know a few things. I have the phantom 4 pro, and would like to know if the crystal sky mount, once attached to the remote, can fit in the original phantom 4 pro styrofoam box (the one that ships with the drone). Also, I would like to know which people prefer - the 5.5 or 7.85 inch display. Is the 5.5 too small? is the 7.85 too heavy?

Thanks
2017-11-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It will fit in the box but not with monitor attached, if your buying for phantom I would recommend 7.85 it’s only $100 more, it has much bigger screen and comes with two batteries.

A lot of the weight is contained in the battery, so there is not that much difference in weight between 5.5 and 7.85.
2017-11-6
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-6 05:00
It will fit in the box but not with monitor attached, if your buying for phantom I would recommend 7.85 it’s only $100 more, it has much bigger screen and comes with two batteries.

A lot of the weight is contained in the battery, so there is not that much difference in weight between 5.5 and 7.85.

Problem is that the 5.5 is the only one shipping right now.
2017-11-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-11-6 05:30
Problem is that the 5.5 is the only one shipping right now.

I’ve just purchased 7.85 last Thursday it’s arriving tomorrow they are in stock at dji.com although it said waiting time 25/29 days it shipped next day.
2017-11-6
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797913 ft
United States

For the price, you might as well get an iPad.  It doesn't cost much more and you aren't limited in applications as CrystalSky is.
2017-11-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-11-6 10:38
For the price, you might as well get an iPad.  It doesn't cost much more and you aren't limited in applications as CrystalSky is.

Yes you could but you are then subject to all the interference of all the crap you can get using such devices, this is setup as a dedicated monitor for use with dji drones and downlink seems much better as far as I’m concerned.
2017-11-6
Use props
lewis.bv
lvl.1
United States

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-11-6 10:38

I have an Ipad mini 2, but the screen is impossible to see in direct sunlight, which is why I'm looking at the 1000 nit crystal sky.
2017-11-6
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
United States

lewis.bv Posted at 2017-11-6 13:39
I have an Ipad mini 2, but the screen is impossible to see in direct sunlight, which is why I'm looking at the 1000 nit crystal sky.

Ah, yes we have that version as well as the one that just came out.  Their screens are brighter than they use to be.
2017-11-6
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-6 10:42
Yes you could but you are then subject to all the interference of all the crap you can get using such devices, this is setup as a dedicated monitor for use with dji drones and downlink seems much better as far as I’m concerned.

Does Crystal Sky use a different frequency?  I was under the impression that all DJI products all operate within the same FCC guidelines.
2017-11-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-11-6 15:51
Does Crystal Sky use a different frequency?  I was under the impression that all DJI products all operate within the same FCC guidelines.

I’m CE it’s a big world out there.
2017-11-6
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-6 15:55
I’m CE it’s a big world out there.

I live in a city of 500,000.  I'm looking forward to taking my P4P to the other side of the world, 20 minute boat ride from the nearest road and see what its like to not have interference and be able to fly further than one mile before losing video.
2017-11-6
Use props
Stan1915
Second Officer
Flight distance : 579669 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-11-6 15:51

CS plugs into the USB on the controller.  It does not transmit or receive over any frequency
2017-11-6
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
United States

Stan1915 Posted at 2017-11-6 17:52
CS plugs into the USB on the controller.  It does not transmit or receive over any frequency

I'm aware of that.  I'm just going by several people who say if you're going to buy CS you might as well get an iPad instead.  So many reviews on YouTube that are negative like this are discouraging.
2017-11-6
Use props
Stan1915
Second Officer
Flight distance : 579669 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-11-6 19:12
I'm aware of that.  I'm just going by several people who say if you're going to buy CS you might as well get an iPad instead.  So many reviews on YouTube that are negative like this are discouraging.

I used to use an iPad Air2, but since getting my CS it has not been used on my Mavic or P4PO.  It just works better with no problems.  The iPad worked fine also but I couldn't see the screen in bright sunlight.  The CS solved that problem for me.
2017-11-6
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-11-6 19:12

Kuya, the main selling point for CS is it's bright display, streamlined efficiency being the second argument. Although most modern smartphones or tablets will cooperate just fine with DJI drones, they fail belly up when it comes to monitor the camera view in sunny summer day. Simple like that ...
2017-11-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

It surely looks like a very nice piece of gear.
What advantage do you have over the + version of a Phantom?
For what I see you can 'only' use the CS with DJI products and not (for example) as a external monitor for a regular camera via HDMI
2017-11-6
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-11-6 23:39
It surely looks like a very nice piece of gear.
What advantage do you have over the + version of a Phantom?
For what I see you can 'only' use the CS with DJI products and not (for example) as a external monitor for a regular camera via HDMI

I have a CS 5.5", very much like the brightness level, I have flown it out to over 2 miles with virtually no loss of video signal on both the Mavic & P4P. Here is the biggest advantage, it has a 1080p HDMI video out which at times I plug into a 13" portable 12VDC LCD TV (No Glare), powered by a small 30,000mah power bank ( Lasts all Day), pretty much use the CS for adjusting settings, but once airborne I view the TV for FPV, it is also great for 3 Party viewing if you have friends or family with you. Set up a small folding table & chair to set the TV on, pour my favorite beverage and fly away.

So for less that $200 USD it is a great setup!

Supersonic TV

Mini Max Power Bank
2017-11-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

QuadKid Posted at 2017-11-7 02:38
I have a CS 5.5", very much like the brightness level, I have flown it out to over 2 miles with virtually no loss of video signal on both the Mavic & P4P. Here is the biggest advantage, it has a 1080p HDMI video out which at times I plug into a 13" portable 12VDC LCD TV (No Glare), powered by a small 30,000mah power bank ( Lasts all Day), pretty much use the CS for adjusting settings, but once airborne I view the TV for FPV, it is also great for 3 Party viewing if you have friends or family with you. Set up a small folding table & chair to set the TV on, pour my favorite beverage and fly away.

So for less that $200 USD it is a great setup!

That looks like a nice setup indeed.
2017-11-7
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-6 05:49
I’ve just purchased 7.85 last Thursday it’s arriving tomorrow they are in stock at dji.com although it said waiting time 25/29 days it shipped next day.

Thanks for the update. I have a 5 on order with a new Inspire, I am going to try to change it to a 7. Thanks again.
2017-11-7
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-11-6 23:15
Kuya, the main selling point for CS is it's bright display, streamlined efficiency being the second argument. Although most modern smartphones or tablets will cooperate just fine with DJI drones, they fail belly up when it comes to monitor the camera view in sunny summer day. Simple like that ...

I don't think you either use or have an iPad.  Since I purchased my P4P, I purchased the latest iPad along with it and have never had an issue with "brightness" in its display and if you've seen any of my videos, most are shot on days with no clouds in the sky.
Again, if that is the "selling point" then they must be comparing it to an older version iPad in which I previously stated doesn't have the same brightness that the new ones do.  I just think for what they sell the CrystalSky for, they could have put more features into it than just the "bright screen", for what they charge for it.  Maybe they'll make a new version of it with more to offer.  Crystal sky is a little bit brighter, but not by any impressive amount.
2017-11-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-11-6 17:42
I live in a city of 500,000.  I'm looking forward to taking my P4P to the other side of the world, 20 minute boat ride from the nearest road and see what its like to not have interference and be able to fly further than one mile before losing video.

Sounds idyllic, hope the sea is not to rough..lol
2017-11-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-11-7 04:02
Thanks for the update. I have a 5 on order with a new Inspire, I am going to try to change it to a 7. Thanks again.

Inspire 2 how lucky you are, let us know how you get on. Good luck.
2017-11-7
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-7 06:00
Sounds idyllic, hope the sea is not to rough..lol

If we get stranded for a few days, WIN-WIN.  hahaha
2017-11-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-11-7 08:40
If we get stranded for a few days, WIN-WIN.  hahaha

Make sure you have enough beans, and plenty of batteries charged up. Maybe you will enlighten us where this paradise might be.
2017-11-7
Use props
lewis.bv
lvl.1
United States

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-11-7 05:31
I don't think you either use or have an iPad.  Since I purchased my P4P, I purchased the latest iPad along with it and have never had an issue with "brightness" in its display and if you've seen any of my videos, most are shot on days with no clouds in the sky.
Again, if that is the "selling point" then they must be comparing it to an older version iPad in which I previously stated doesn't have the same brightness that the new ones do.  I just think for what they sell the CrystalSky for, they could have put more features into it than just the "bright screen", for what they charge for it.  Maybe they'll make a new version of it with more to offer.  Crystal sky is a little bit brighter, but not by any impressive amount.

After some research I have found that an iPad mini 4 (the newest mini) has a brightness of 450 nits. My iPhone 6s is 566 and I couldn't find numbers for my iPad mini 2 but it is certainly dimmer than my iPhone, which still isn't bright enough for direct sunlight viewing. The mid-range CS is 1000 nits, which is why I'm looking in to it.
2017-11-7
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-7 09:31
Make sure you have enough beans, and plenty of batteries charged up. Maybe you will enlighten us where this paradise might be.

LOL, sorry about that.  We will be filming in the Philippines for two months.  The specific location I was referring to in this particular location is called "Talayudong" beach, on the island of Palawan.  Here's a sample photo of where I'll be filming.  

Talayudyong

Talayudyong
2017-11-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-11-7 09:59
LOL, sorry about that.  We will be filming in the Philippines for two months.  The specific location I was referring to in this particular location is called "Talayudong" beach, on the island of Palawan.  Here's a sample photo of where I'll be filming.

Yes my idea of paradise tranquility and away from the rat race. Enjoy..
2017-11-7
Use props
Pauxier
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1213238 ft
  • >>>
United States

Operating temperatures, dual sd slots, hdmi out, usb connects , battery..... Quite a few features that I don't believe are in the new ipads. I just wonder about actual horsepower and is this thing going to be too slow in 2 years when they release dji go6 application
2017-11-7
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Stan1915 Posted at 2017-11-6 17:52

You can wirelessly connect  the CS to the spark RC if you need to
2017-11-7
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I just got my 7.85 ultra, it's extremely good in all sunlight conditions, I believe it's also faster from a latency perspective.The only thing missing is celluar capability for mapping, but you can download maps

It's heavy, with the battery it's twice the weight of the Ipad mini at 700g , but 4 times brighter that is the trade off.
The battery has lasted a long time under maximum brightness

My P4P rig with the Titan Cyclone antenna and CS is getting too heavy.

I think  the 7.85 will be akward to use with the spark and mavic RC's if you use the official DJI mount which has them hanging below the the RC

Here is a good comaparison between the CS ultra and standard model produced by another poster called Sancap on another forum

and CS Ultra vs Ipad Mini 4

2017-11-7
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Perhaps I'm lost in this never ending technology progress race ... Since the very beginning of my adventure with DJI drones (November 2015) I'm using iPad Air 2. And since day one I had always problem with screen brightness when outdoor. I could see my ugly face reflection better than video feed behind. Did I missed something meantime?
2017-11-7
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

lannes Posted at 2017-11-7 15:36
I just got my 7.85 ultra, it's extremely good in all sunlight conditions, I believe it's also faster from a latency perspective.The only thing missing is celluar capability for mapping, but you can download maps

It's heavy, with the battery it's twice the weight of the Ipad mini at 700g , but 4 times brighter that is the trade off.

Lannes, pardon my curiosity ... How come you've got Ultra and I did not?! I know that junk ships can reach Australia faster than America, but c'mon ... BTW, excellent comparison, no questions ...
2017-11-7
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-11-7 18:19
Perhaps I'm lost in this never ending technology progress race ... Since the very beginning of my adventure with DJI drones (November 2015) I'm using iPad Air 2. And since day one I had always problem with screen brightness when outdoor. I could see my ugly face reflection better than video feed behind. Did I missed something meantime?

Could be a number of reasons.   One thing I never do is angle the screen directly at me.  
I don't need to be reminded what the world sees in me.  I hear it all the time.
2017-11-7
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
United States

lannes Posted at 2017-11-7 15:36

I like being able to send low res video samples right after I film.  Mapping is something I am just getting into as well, so I guess you brought up another good point.
2017-11-7
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-11-7 06:02
Inspire 2 how lucky you are, let us know how you get on. Good luck.

It has not arrived yet. DJI will not let me change the order to upgrade to the larger Crystal Sky. Once you pay them, which is in advance you can not change the order.
2017-11-8
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-11-7 18:33
Lannes, pardon my curiosity ... How come you've got Ultra and I did not?! I know that junk ships can reach Australia faster than America, but c'mon ... BTW, excellent comparison, no questions ...

Must be coming across the south pole, remember the world is round
2017-11-8
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I have been using the Ipad Mini 4 and the 2017  Ipad Pro 10.5 which supposed to be the brightest iPad.
My new Crystalsky ultra is at least 4 times brighter but it does come at a cost $, although the price difference is not huge compared to the Ipad Pro 10.5
2017-11-8
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-11-8 02:16
It has not arrived yet. DJI will not let me change the order to upgrade to the larger Crystal Sky. Once you pay them, which is in advance you can not change the order.

If it hasn't shipped can you cancel the order ?
2017-11-8
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

With the Crystalsky it's all getting a bit heavy, 2.2kg  or 5lbs, too many batteries

crystalsky1 - Copy.jpg
2017-11-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-11-8 02:16

I feel for you , that is a crazy situation it’s a quite simple logistical thing that dji seriously need to sort out, I had similar problem when I forgot to order bracket tried within 2 hours to have it added to my order so as I wouldn’t be charged shipping, nothing they could do Nada told me I could cancel my order and reorder but would be charged again on my CC and would have to wait for up to two weeks to get reimbursed for first order.
This is very simple stuff they need to sort out.
2017-11-8
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules