.701 firmware full HD videos no longer play on Galaxy S7
2221 7 2017-11-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_xllN2mu
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi.
Updated my spark to the 701 firmware last week. Went out to catch some footage of the Autumn display at nearby forest. Got a good shot so i downloaded the full HD (1080p) video from the spark using DJI Go android app  (both the .10 and .14 versions of the app).

Weird thing is the full hd videos won't play on my phone (S7 edge, latest nougat firmware). The built in media player fails to play the file ("can't play video") as do most other media players. Older videos from 600 firmware play fine.

The most annoying thing is i now can't easily share the file to instagram etc as the instagram android app can't open the file. I looked at using the cached 720p version but i always get glitches and drop outs so this is no good.

After a bit of detective work i've established that the encoding of the file seems to be the problem... i looked at the video files by putting the sd card in my computer and inspecting their properties using freeware application Mediainfo. Videos  taken before 701 firmware update were encoded using lavf56.15.102 which looks to be a standard open source encoder.

Videos from 701 firmware are encoded using "Dji AVC encoder". All the other file attributes look the same - but I'm no expert!

Can anyone confirm this? Has the 701 update broken full hd videos on android?

Attempting to share it to instagram from dji go 4 takes ages to upload then fails when exporting to the instagram app.

Ps I was able to get around this by uploading the full hd file to Google photos then downloading it again (google photos reencodes to reduce file size - which fixed the playback problem). Very annoying to do this every time though.
2017-11-6
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

This is just a guess, but could it be that you had switched off your Spark before stopping the recoding in DJI GO 4?
2017-11-6
Use props
djiuser_xllN2mu
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I wondered about this too so i tried recording some video at home - same result. I'll try downgrading the firmware to 600 and see if that fixes it.
2017-11-7
Use props
liamski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125784 ft
United Kingdom

Same for me on Galaxy S7 Edge. Can play through VLC but built-in video player gives an error.
2017-11-7
Use props
djiuser_xllN2mu
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Glad it isn't just me! I think the only thing to do is downgrade to 600 firmware I'm not that fussed about the spherical panorama anyway
2017-11-7
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

djiuser_xllN2mu Posted at 2017-11-7 04:30
Glad it isn't just me! I think the only thing to do is downgrade to 600 firmware I'm not that fussed about the spherical panorama anyway

Thanks for the feedback. When you share the video to instagram, please ensure that you have solid wifi or try to use mobile data. The situation will be forwarded to our engineers. Please wait patiently.
2017-11-12
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

djiuser_xllN2mu Posted at 2017-11-7 00:03
I wondered about this too so i tried recording some video at home - same result. I'll try downgrading the firmware to 600 and see if that fixes it.

Speaking of the video, was it from the SD card? Or it was the video in the editor?
2017-11-15
Use props
WilfredFireSteel 8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 182215 ft
United Kingdom

YUP. Although this thread is old they still have not rectified as yet again it's android users getting the brown end of the stick..... Still 2 months on i have to use a media converter to even view my footage and that inevitably reduces the quality of the video. I have a fair few problems at the minute with my spark, this video download issue, lack of location map now since last update, very bad video latency issues and also my current issue with the 360 panos all disappearing and turning flat, as i know these are flat images but always would appear as spheres in the app and no longer do so i can't share them or even look at them as they are intended! Hay ho..... guess i'll either buy myself an Iphone 6 or sell the spark and get the new Mavic later in the year.
2018-1-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules