New Inspire 2 owner
1465 20 2017-11-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dan_vector
Second Officer
Flight distance : 613753 ft
Oman

Hello, I’ve just received my new Inspire 2 aircraft from my local DJI center and now waiting on my X5S to arrive next week. I’ll hold out activating the new bird until I receive the camera as you never know those extra few days of warranty could come in handy one day!
I do have a question though. It seems my aircraft may have been in stock at the dealer for quite a while. It has the original v1.0 manuals in the box and the S/N when checked shows my Inspire 2 was manufactured in December 2016. Now I don’t have a particular issue with this other than wanting to know if there has been any Inspire 2 running changes to the hardware over the last 11 months such as an improvement to the prop mounts as mentioned in other threads on this forum as well as some reporting a change to the model number of the I2.

I’m not a drone virgin as also have the Mavic and P4P drones as well which I love and have zero issues with. Hardware, Firmware and DJI Go App. Heck I’ve even had great DJI CS experience when I had an accident (totally my fault) with my Mavic a couple months ago. The Mavic was turned around in just 10 days - impressive!

Thanks for any input to put my mind at ease!
2017-11-10
Use props
DS924
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4028425 ft
United States

I read the forum a lot and I'm not aware of any confirmed fixes for the rattling - and I presume "loose" - props.  I've seen everyones' proposed fixes but I personally don't think any of them is more than temporary, if they can be called fixes.

I have a second I2 that I bought back in February '17, weeks after the first purchase, which box I haven't ever opened. I don't regret my purchases at all.  

I guess the still-boxed one MUST necessarily have an older firmware version installed, as, I have updated the first I2 a couple times since then.  I'm thinking that maybe I don't want to update the second one when I finally (if ever) open the box, since updates have added limitations to flight parameters.  I have to say, though, that although I always get the audible warning that my flight altitude and distance have been limited there doesn't actually seem to be a limitation.

Actually, I'm curious to know if failing to update the second I2 will prevent it from flying but, should that be the case, the answer is obvious.

If your experience with the I2 is anything like mine you're gonna LOVE it. I have an S1000 and an even larger 8-rotor from another company and the only UAV I want to fly is the I2.

I cannot stop buying peripheral equipment for it, darn it.

2017-11-10
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

DS924 Posted at 2017-11-10 11:01
I read the forum a lot and I'm not aware of any confirmed fixes for the rattling - and I presume "loose" - props.  I've seen everyones' proposed fixes but I personally don't think any of them is more than temporary, if they can be called fixes.

I have a second I2 that I bought back in February '17, weeks after the first purchase, which box I haven't ever opened. I don't regret my purchases at all.  

I assume the second specimen of Inspire 2 is waiting to perform as an emergency backup. Than why not open the box and fly, just to make sure she will when needed. Since the very beginning of this adventure we were told that firmware update is NOT OBLIGATORY. This is perfect opportunity to find out ...
2017-11-10
Use props
DS924
lvl.4
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-11-10 18:58
I assume the second specimen of Inspire 2 is waiting to perform as an emergency backup. Than why not open the box and fly, just to make sure she will when needed. Since the very beginning of this adventure we were told that firmware update is NOT OBLIGATORY. This is perfect opportunity to find out ...

Yes, the second I2 is just a back-up but I'm not using these things for business - yet.  Right now I'm just enjoying a hobby.  That way I can pollish skills while I invest in equipment for some very specific tasks down the road.

I guess there's just no need to be in a hurry to fire up the other one.
2017-11-10
Use props
dan_vector
Second Officer
Oman

Thanks very much for your reply. I can't wait to get the x5s and get the I2 in the air. Darn FEDEX is taking its time!!
2017-11-10
Use props
dan_vector
Second Officer
Oman

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-11-10 18:58

I kinda understand why he hasn't flown the second unit yet. I think the warranty is based on activation date and not purchase date and so I'd be really tempted to do the same and leave it in the box until I needed it!
2017-11-10
Use props
DS924
lvl.4
United States

dan_vector Posted at 2017-11-10 21:23
I kinda understand why he hasn't flown the second unit yet. I think the warranty is based on activation date and not purchase date and so I'd be really tempted to do the same and leave it in the box until I needed it!

dan_vector, you understand!

Initially, I wanted to have the the "DJI Care Refresh" option, which expires 48 hours after initial activation.  But since that coverage (which is just service priority that one pays for in advance), only last for a year I really don't see that it's worth it now.

I'm very comfortable maneuvering the aircraft now so I should think that a crash of an essentially new aircraft, at this point, would more likely be the result of a defect of some kind - not my inability to fly the aircraft.  That would be something I'd expect to be taken care of by DJI anyway.     (Yeah, I know...)

Anyway, I see no reason to start aging the stored aircraft when I'm flying one that is performing just fine.  Should I need to have I2(a) repaired I can go to I2(b) - if there's a good reason not to wait for the repair.
2017-11-10
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

DS924 Posted at 2017-11-10 19:30
Yes, the second I2 is just a back-up but I'm not using these things for business - yet.  Right now I'm just enjoying a hobby.  That way I can polish skills while I invest in equipment for some very specific tasks down the road.

I guess there's just no need to be in a hurry to fire up the other one.

Of course there's no need to activate your backup bird now. You may find (down the road) that having an exact duplicate is not the best idea and replace her with - say - M200, just to widen the spectrum of your future service or hobby. My only concern will be to maintain batteries periodically, since they may self-discharge to below recoverable level when stored improperly.
2017-11-11
Use props
DS924
lvl.4
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-11-11 00:05
Of course there's no need to activate your backup bird now. You may find (down the road) that having an exact duplicate is not the best idea and replace her with - say - M200, just to widen the spectrum of your future service or hobby. My only concern will be to maintain batteries periodically, since they may self-discharge to below recoverable level when stored improperly.

Yes, I kinda wondered about that pair of batteries in the unopened case. Are they sent with a slight charge? I never checked my other sets when I bought them. I just put them all on a charger, and have been using them ever since, cycling them in order of use. I don't see how sitting in storage in my unopened back-up kit is any different than sitting in an unsold kit in some hobby shop. In any case, the purchase of new batteries is something I suppose we all have to expect eventually.

I do plan to pick up an M200, if only because it is a bit more tolerant of weather conditions, down the road.  If / when this becomes more than a hobby I would definitely want the IR heat signature sensing function in the bag of tricks.

2017-11-11
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

dan_vector Posted at 2017-11-10 21:23

The warranty begins the moment the cash register closes or when the item is received, not the activation date.

This is the fine print in DJI's warranty:  "The warranty period for a product starts on the day a product is received, or as may be otherwise specified by DJI."

Same for buying it locally at Best Buy USA who has a 14-day window to take it back for exchange or money back.  Let it sit beyond 14 days on their receipt and you own it, and then the need to deal with DJI Service thereafter.

If I were the OP, I'd take it out and fly it NOW and look for any issues that may make for an exchange before he owns it.  Better than waiting and finding sometthing wrong later and maybe getting a refurb from DJI Service for any issue it may have even being new.
2017-11-11
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-11-11 10:17
The warranty begins the moment the cash register closes or when the item is received, not the activation date.

This is the fine print in DJI's warranty:  "The warranty period for a product starts on the day a product is received, or as may be otherwise specified by DJI."

Actually this is not OP issue, who's wondering if early troubles with I2 prop mounts were finally addressed by manufacturer in form of permanent solution rather than temporary patching. While the prevalence of this issue is unknown, to my knowledge DJI did not re-engineered nor manufactured any radically better, rattle-less way of prop mounting on Inspire 2 ...   
However, indeed the date of purchase, not the date of activation determines warranty period. Therefore storing unopened box does not make much sense, unless the owner plans to sell this item on 2025 auction as a rare vintage Inspire 2 drone ...
2017-11-11
Use props
dan_vector
Second Officer
Oman

So I’ve unboxed my I2 and updated the firmware etc and will fly it later when the weather breaks! Having seen some YouTube videos of the rattling props I mounted my props and all seem tight and make no unusual noises when spun. So hopefully I’m in the clear! I’ll see how it is after the first few flights.
2017-11-12
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was assured by DJI Mindy that the prop issue was addressed.
2017-11-12
Use props
DS924
lvl.4
United States

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-11-12 04:38
I was assured by DJI Mindy that the prop issue was addressed.

I'm pretty sure that my rattling only started after I had flown the aircraft a half dozen times or so, for whatever that's worth.
2017-11-12
Use props
DS924
lvl.4
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-11-11 10:17

I understand your point about the warranty and I guess you're right about flying the second unit just to be sure that all is well, but I was actually referring to the DJI Care Fresh option, for which one has 48 hours after initial activation to enroll (and pay) before that coverage is no longer available.
I don't think I'd purchase that again anyway.
2017-11-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

dan_vector Posted at 2017-11-12 01:47
So I’ve unboxed my I2 and updated the firmware etc and will fly it later when the weather breaks! Having seen some YouTube videos of the rattling props I mounted my props and all seem tight and make no unusual noises when spun. So hopefully I’m in the clear! I’ll see how it is after the first few flights.

Thanks for choosing DJI.
There is no hardware update since the Inspire 2 was released.
As for propeller rattling issue, we only updated the propeller with foam inserted, that's all.
If your propellers don't have the foam and there is rattling sound, you can contact our support for replacement.
2017-11-12
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

DS924 Posted at 2017-11-12 21:58
I'm pretty sure that my rattling only started after I had flown the aircraft a half dozen times or so, for whatever that's worth.

Interesting. I would think that the issue has been resolved. They sent a friend on here some new hubs.
2017-11-13
Use props
dan_vector
Second Officer
Thailand

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-11-12 23:55
Thanks for choosing DJI.
There is no hardware update since the Inspire 2 was released.
As for propeller rattling issue, we only updated the propeller with foam inserted, that's all.

Thanks. My props don’t have any foam inserts. I will contact support accordingly.
2017-11-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

dan_vector Posted at 2017-11-13 07:29
Thanks. My props don’t have any foam inserts. I will contact support accordingly.

OK, if you need any further assistance, please let us know.
2017-11-13
Use props
dan_vector
Second Officer
Oman

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-11-13 23:46
OK, if you need any further assistance, please let us know.

Well I contacted Support and guess what?

Told that there is no issue and if your prop rattles or is loose then just use a different prop which might be better.

They refused to help any further. Not the best support really on a $3000 piece of kit that I haven’t even flown yet.
2017-11-17
Use props
dan_vector
Second Officer
Oman

dan_vector Posted at 2017-11-17 08:29
Well I contacted Support and guess what?

Told that there is no issue and if your prop rattles or is loose then just use a different prop which might be better.

Guess I’ll have to suck it and see...
2017-11-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules