5495 48 2017-11-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I’ve noticed on the DJI online store that a brand new design of ND filters has been launched for the Mavic Pro series. Similar in design to the Polar Pro cinema series but platinum and not gold in colour and includes four ND’s - the 4, 8, 16 AND 32, made by DJI and cheaper at £65.
Does the set come with a case and are the filters glass and coated? Limited specs on the website and nothing on YT!
2017-11-14
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Good catch. I'm curious about those too, though my interest is mainly academic since I already own a set from Taco-RC that I'm happy with.
2017-11-14
Use props
ny300z
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2603478 ft
United States

I have been so on the fence about what filters to buy. I hear a lot about PolarPro ones but after reading reviews on some cheaper brands like the 6 piece set for $40 below, most people say they see no difference between them, even people who own both.

Still waiting to hear a good reason to spend 3 times as much on PolarPro ones.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... P8EXUXFY9&psc=1
2017-11-14
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I buy PolarPro for quality.  But mostly I buy PolarPro for their unparreled customer service.  Best in the business, bar none.  They could run a clinic on customer service.  
2017-11-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This will be down to the optics preventing glare, the lifetime guarantee, the overall build quality, the limited impact on gimbal performance but yeah, £80 for 3 compared to £65 for the 4 new ones by DJI does show that polar pro do over price on brand. I would get these new ones if you’re on the market as DJI advise that any third party ND filters will invalidate the warranty on the drone if the gimbal motors break...
2017-11-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-11-14 05:14
Good catch. I'm curious about those too, though my interest is mainly academic since I already own a set from Taco-RC that I'm happy with.

Thanks. I would like to know a little bit more about them and if they come with a case or not before buying though.
2017-11-14
Use props
Matthew Chirico
First Officer
Flight distance : 769160 ft
United States

ny300z Posted at 2017-11-14 06:12
I have been so on the fence about what filters to buy. I hear a lot about PolarPro ones but after reading reviews on some cheaper brands like the 6 piece set for $40 below, most people say they see no difference between them, even people who own both.

Still waiting to hear a good reason to spend 3 times as much on PolarPro ones.

these are a solid buy? Do you have footage where you used these I can see? THANKS!
2017-11-14
Use props
ny300z
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2603478 ft
United States

Matthew Chirico Posted at 2017-11-14 07:46
these are a solid buy? Do you have footage where you used these I can see? THANKS!

i haven't bought those yet, still trying to decide on buying those vs the expensive polarpro ones but if you check out the reviews on Amazon a lot of people had good experiences with them. And some shared videos/pics to view.
2017-11-14
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Oracle Miata Posted at 2017-11-14 06:51
I buy PolarPro for quality.  But mostly I buy PolarPro for their unparreled customer service.  Best in the business, bar none.  They could run a clinic on customer service.

Agree with the customer service and the quality of the PP filters. There are no end on the market but I like to keep the filter on instead of removing all the time. Lot's of the 3rd party filters do not allow the Gimbal to sync but the PP's are perfect.
2017-11-15
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Had a look on a couple of UK sites and they all don't say if they come in a case or not. The P4P & P4A filters come in a foam square and not a case so maybe not for the Mavic filters.
2017-11-15
Use props
Boston_H
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2854 ft
New Zealand

It would be interesting to see how they compare with PolarPro
2017-11-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yes, I noticed that too when searching for the white MP.
2017-11-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-11-15 12:30
Yes, I noticed that too when searching for the white MP.

I just bought the alpine white combo from my local apple store - I'm probably the only bloke in the UK with that drone right now. £1149 with 10 props, 3 batteries and an aircraft sleeve and everything is alpine white - including the RC. It looks fantastic! Just set everything up this evening with the latest FW and all calibrations ready to fly this weekend! The 8331 props look cool on it too (order on the platinum cancelled). Think the new filters are designed for this...
fullsizeoutput_940.jpeg
2017-11-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

It sure looks great!
2017-11-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks are deceptive... I was configuring my settings in the app this morning to check everything over before it's first flight and the drone overheated and totally shut down with a solid red critical warning on the LED light turning on with a list of malfunctions... It was only turned on for less than 10 minutes. I let it cool down and turned it back on and it was all fine again. I then started calibrating the IMU and whilst the drone was positioned upright as part of the procedure the gimbal was vibrating very heavily and making a weird noise - it smashed my confidence in the drone completely so I took it back to apple today for a full and unconditional refund which they honoured. First drone I have owned that I have never flown. Disappointing is an understatement and so furious I didn't want a replacement. I've calmed down now and ordered the Platinum via DJI. If there is anything wrong with that one I will return it and it will be my final DJI purchase...
2017-11-17
Use props
AEM74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 332677 ft
United States

A CW Posted at 2017-11-17 10:25
Looks are deceptive... I was configuring my settings in the app this morning to check everything over before it's first flight and the drone overheated and totally shut down with a solid red critical warning on the LED light turning on with a list of malfunctions... It was only turned on for less than 10 minutes. I let it cool down and turned it back on and it was all fine again. I then started calibrating the IMU and whilst the drone was positioned upright as part of the procedure the gimbal was vibrating very heavily and making a weird noise - it smashed my confidence in the drone completely so I took it back to apple today for a full and unconditional refund which they honoured. First drone I have owned that I have never flown. Disappointing is an understatement and so furious I didn't want a replacement. I've calmed down now and ordered the Platinum via DJI. If there is anything wrong with that one I will return it and it will be my final DJI purchase...

Wow, I personally would've been mad if that happened to me and would not buy a drone for a while. Good thing they only sell it through Apple so the return was painless.
2017-11-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

These things happen in this hobby - it’s tech at the end of the day but still, I expected far more TBH. At least I returned it in one piece to Apple and got my money back on the spot! Thank God it didn’t shut down when 400’ AGL... It has knocked my confidence a bit and am now thinking what if my new Platinum will be faulty - it won’t be as easy to replace as will need to be shipped back and that would be the final straw for me! Part of me is saying to cancel the order on the platinum but I’ll give them one more chance.
2017-11-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

That sounds bad.
Did you contact support?
2017-11-18
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

I have the DJI ND filters and the filter separated from the housing on the one I use most so these look like a much more robust design. So long as they can be installed, left on,  and allow clearance for the startup I am interested.

The ones that you have to install after powering up are of no interest to me.
2017-11-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-11-18 10:25
That sounds bad.
Did you contact support?

It was a shock Montfrooij to say the least. No, there was no need to contact support - I just packed it back up and drove straight back to the Apple store... Money returned on the spot as if never purchased - they have a 14 day return policy for refund.
2017-11-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hugh Jaynus Posted at 2017-11-18 10:44
I have the DJI ND filters and the filter separated from the housing on the one I use most so these look like a much more robust design. So long as they can be installed, left on,  and allow clearance for the startup I am interested.

The ones that you have to install after powering up are of no interest to me.

Given that these are also DJI filters for the Mavic (new version) I'd imagine there will be no problem with calibrations whilst the filter is on the camera.
2017-11-18
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2017-11-18 01:48
These things happen in this hobby - it’s tech at the end of the day but still, I expected far more TBH. At least I returned it in one piece to Apple and got my money back on the spot! Thank God it didn’t shut down when 400’ AGL... It has knocked my confidence a bit and am now thinking what if my new Platinum will be faulty - it won’t be as easy to replace as will need to be shipped back and that would be the final straw for me! Part of me is saying to cancel the order on the platinum but I’ll give them one more chance.

... you have plenty of time to decide - UK deliveries of MPP pre-orders starting end of November apparently.
2017-11-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yeah, I’ve cancelled the Platinum order through fear something will be wrong with that and unlike buying from Apple in store, getting my money back or a even a new replacement via DJI online from the UK would be a complete nightmare. I’ve decided to take a step back and consider my options. The Alpine White is a great deal and looked awesome but when that red critical error LED came on and the gimbal started vibrating it quite frankly turned my excitement into complete disappointment and regret. I may return to Apple in the week and buy the Alpine White edition again but will unbox it in store...
2017-11-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lamplighter55 Posted at 2017-11-18 15:59
... you have plenty of time to decide - UK deliveries of MPP pre-orders starting end of November apparently.

Money returned on the Platinum (thanks DJI). Reordered the Alpine White from Apple and just received confirmation it's being delivered tomorrow... FINGERS CROSSED on this one!
2017-11-20
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Looks like MPP deliveries to the UK are starting to happen - my order is now winging its way via DHL from Shenzhen.
2017-11-22
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lamplighter55 Posted at 2017-11-22 03:18
Looks like MPP deliveries to the UK are starting to happen - my order is now winging its way via DHL from Shenzhen.

Congrats! Glad you're getting it before Christmas. Received my new Alpine on Wednesday evening and finally - it's a keeper! Absolutely perfect. Did three back-to-back flights today for the first time with it and very impressed. The image quality is so much better than my previous Mavic that I sold earlier in the year for the Spark - BIGGEST MISTAKE LOL. Still, the new Alpine White Combo could not have come at a better time and really pleased with this one. Enjoy the Platinum and fly safe - the props really do make it so much quieter.
2017-11-24
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2017-11-24 12:46
Congrats! Glad you're getting it before Christmas. Received my new Alpine on Wednesday evening and finally - it's a keeper! Absolutely perfect. Did three back-to-back flights today for the first time with it and very impressed. The image quality is so much better than my previous Mavic that I sold earlier in the year for the Spark - BIGGEST MISTAKE LOL. Still, the new Alpine White Combo could not have come at a better time and really pleased with this one. Enjoy the Platinum and fly safe - the props really do make it so much quieter.

Cheers! Yup got delivered today. They really are beautiful machines. So just spent the evening updating all devices and batteries to the latest firmware(s). Did an ATTI test flight in the kitchen - all working fine (RC with CS5.5). What I found better than I was expecting is the pitch volume of the motors & the new blades - pretty amazing as its significantly less than my Spark. So will be doing some test flights with the MPP this weekend and try out the more interesting flight options - way points etc.
2017-11-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lamplighter55 Posted at 2017-11-24 13:42
Cheers! Yup got delivered today. They really are beautiful machines. So just spent the evening updating all devices and batteries to the latest firmware(s). Did an ATTI test flight in the kitchen - all working fine (RC with CS5.5). What I found better than I was expecting is the pitch volume of the motors & the new blades - pretty amazing as its significantly less than my Spark. So will be doing some test flights with the MPP this weekend and try out the more interesting flight options - way points etc.

I used the stock 8330 alpine white blades on my first flight then switched to the 8331's that I have for the 2nd and 3rd flights - seriously, I put the Mavic 300' above me and I literally could not hear it (unlike the first flight). They really do make a difference and the rev's are far less on the motors too. With the new ESC's I imagine the Platinum is even quieter. I flew over some dog walkers and none of them stopped to look up. Best £20 I've spent on accessories.  
2017-11-24
Use props
Maginot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40863 ft
United States

I just got the DJI Mavic Pro filters from DJI

They are totally unlike the previous filters sold for the Mavic by DJI

They come in a very nice and solid square case. There is padding and the case snaps shut.

Four filters.

From my perspective, they look near identical to the polar pro. Same style, same housing, good lens.

They come 4/8/16/ and 32.

Short of any major issues I can't anticipate, they look exactly like the polar pro and are the appear to be high quality.
2017-11-24
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Maginot Posted at 2017-11-24 16:10
I just got the DJI Mavic Pro filters from DJI

They are totally unlike the previous filters sold for the Mavic by DJI

I ordered them a few days ago and it says shipped. I ordered the Mavic controller shade months ago but forgot if it came from China or not? Do these come from China? TIA!
2017-11-26
Use props
Maginot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40863 ft
United States

Ordered from DJI
Sent from Atlanta Ga after about 10 days

Sent Fedex, did not require signature... thank goodness.
20171126_223508-resized-640.jpg
20171126_223455-resized-640.jpg
20171126_223113-resized-640.jpg
2017-11-26
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Got mine too! What a relief to see it actually comes with a nice carry case!
2017-11-27
Use props
DJ Enertia
lvl.3
Flight distance : 614065 ft
Australia

Nice !!the original ones were ok but limited to 3 filters and had the tendency if u were not careful for the little plastic clips to break off,these new ones look more solid and better...the new case is nice touch infact they almost look identical to the PGYTECH lenses just diferent color and no gold ring painted on
2017-11-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thats what I wanted to see. Thanks so much for sharing. Think Father Christmas can get these for me.
2017-12-1
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

I go for polarised filters since I do a lot of flying over water, rooftops and other glaring stuff
2018-1-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Swedrone Posted at 2018-1-18 04:12
I go for polarised filters since I do a lot of flying over water, rooftops and other glaring stuff

Thats the only time I would use PP filters - I'm ordering these from DJI next month ready for Spring and sunshine at last LOL
2018-1-22
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks are deceptive... I was configuring my settings in the app this morning to check everything over before it's first flight and the drone overheated and totally shut down with a solid red critical warning on the LED light turning on with a list of malfunctions... It was only turned on for less than 10 minutes. I let it cool down and turned it back on and it was all fine again. I then started calibrating the IMU and whilst the drone was positioned upright as part of the procedure the gimbal was vibrating very heavily and making a weird noise - it smashed my confidence in the drone completely so I took it back to apple today for a full and unconditional refund which they honoured. First drone I have owned that I have never flown. Disappointing is an understatement and so furious I didn't want a replacement. I've calmed down now and ordered the Platinum via DJI. If there is anything wrong with that one I will return it and it will be my final DJI purchase...

Did you have the gimbal cover on when it overheated? Behind the gimbal is a vent, if the gimbal protector is on the heat cant escape. Also, when you do the IMU calibration and have it upright they all make that noise, its the gimbal vibrating against the airframe because its trying to balance itself. When calibrating the IMU i leave the gimbal lock on to stop it being shaken around while I'm calibrating. Once the IMU is calibrated I turn the Mavic off, then remove the gimbal lock and calibrate the gimbal.
2018-1-22
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No mate - all open and on a table as always - it was a major malfunction - the cooling fan failed to turn on.
My MPP doesn’t vibrate and I personally never touch the gimbal after turning on the drone - when I said the Alpine vibrates I mean it was physically knocking during the calibration - my wife could hear it across a 25’ living room... Anyway, old news as long returned and fully refunded.
2018-1-22
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Malakai_UK Posted at 2018-1-22 05:03
Did you have the gimbal cover on when it overheated? Behind the gimbal is a vent, if the gimbal protector is on the heat cant escape. Also, when you do the IMU calibration and have it upright they all make that noise, its the gimbal vibrating against the airframe because its trying to balance itself. When calibrating the IMU i leave the gimbal lock on to stop it being shaken around while I'm calibrating. Once the IMU is calibrated I turn the Mavic off, then remove the gimbal lock and calibrate the gimbal.

When calibrating the IMU i leave the gimbal lock on to stop it being shaken around

Not a good idea!  I'm surprised you didn't receive a warning.  Several people have had damaged gimbals from flying with the lock in place.
2018-1-22
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I don’t think he was flying with it on - he just puts it on to hold the gimbal in place to stop the vibrations during an IMU calibration which should be ok but not something I do knowing how fragile the gimbal on the Mavic is.
2018-1-22
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules