Mavic Jello - Updated
4114 19 2017-11-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Just wanted to drop a line, maybe someone else has experienced this. Last flight with the Mavic was on 11/18/2017, had ND 8 Filter installed videos were fine. Went out this morning no filter installed and had "Jello" all the time,  swapped out the props with a new set of 8330's thinking maybe I had some prop vibration (which actually looks different than Jello effect), that didn't cure it, even had Jello at idle so I know it's not the wind. Checked all the obvious checks Tabs, mounts & cables (all good). Did a field calibration of the gimbal (no reset), still no luck.

I'm going out in the morning without making any further adjustments other than putting the ND8 Filter back on and see what happens, meanwhile started doing some research and found this, will post results tomorrow.

2017-11-25
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

Maybe it's just cold and shivering!!

Seriously, hope it gets worked out. Let us know the results of your further testing.
2017-11-25
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Doesn’t look good, maybe a camera reset will help
2017-11-25
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

Well went out this morning to test the above video's hypothesis, adding a filter ( probably the weight that matters ) Jello disappeared immediately, Fully Auto Camera settings, after flying 2 batteries with the ND Filter decided to take it off, low and behold the Jello was back, came back home calibrated the IMU's, did a gimbal reset & calibration, went out in the backyard, flew up to 100 ft altitude with Jello all the way. Came back down and put the Filter back on and the Jello disappeared again. Such a simple fix for a pain in the A#% problem.

2017-11-26
Use props
Nazar78
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5106037 ft
Singapore

Just in case check if your gimbal is seated properly both front and rear hooks.

2017-11-26
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

Nazar78 Posted at 2017-11-26 11:07
Just in case check if your gimbal is seated properly both front and rear hooks.

That was one of the first things I checked, this is definitely a Gimbal balance issue, some Mavics have it some not. In my case it is. Nothing I did would get rid of the Jello until I found that video about the issue. I'll bet many people have sent their Mavics in to be repaired and endured the wait to get it back just something else to try before saying all else fails. Not saying it works on all MP's but for me it's like flipping a switch, Filter off=Jello, Filter On = No Jello.

Also having a P3P & P4P it's amazing how sensitive, nimble & exposed the MP camera is compared to the Phantoms. Never had a Jello or Vibration issue with the P's. Only use the Mavic occasionally compared to the Phantoms. Bought it back in June and probably have 2-3 hours flight time on it.
2017-11-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

QuadKid Posted at 2017-11-26 10:57
Well went out this morning to test the above video's hypothesis, adding a filter ( probably the weight that matters ) Jello disappeared immediately, Fully Auto Camera settings, after flying 2 batteries with the ND Filter decided to take it off, low and behold the Jello was back, came back home calibrated the IMU's, did a gimbal reset & calibration, went out in the backyard, flew up to 100 ft altitude with Jello all the way. Came back down and put the Filter back on and the Jello disappeared again. Such a simple fix for a pain in the A#% problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJz7wBJPSV0&feature=youtu.be

So you have to calibrate after the filter is added?
2017-11-26
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-11-26 13:01

No, went out flew with the Jello, came back re-calibrated IMU's, Gimbal Reset & Gimbal Calibration, all successful, went out and flew again, still had the Jello, put the Polar Pro filter on the Mavic and no more jello, take the filter off and the jello returns. This seems to me a Gimbal Balance issue as shown in the 1st video of this post. Tried all the same tricks, changing props, calibration, nothing stopped the jello, as soon as I filtered it the jello is gone.
2017-11-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

QuadKid Posted at 2017-11-26 13:15
No, went out flew with the Jello, came back re-calibrated IMU's, Gimbal Reset & Gimbal Calibration, all successful, went out and flew again, still had the Jello, put the Polar Pro filter on the Mavic and no more jello, take the filter off and the jello returns. This seems to me a Gimbal Balance issue as shown in the 1st video of this post. Tried all the same tricks, changing props, calibration, nothing stopped the jello, as soon as I filtered it the jello is gone.

That sounds counter intuitive.
If all goes well with the postal service, weather and stuff I can try soon with my MP
2017-11-26
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

CycleParadise Posted at 2017-11-25 15:48
Maybe it's just cold and shivering!!

Seriously, hope it gets worked out. Let us know the results of your further testing.

Not here in FLA
75° F and sunny, wait all summer for the weather we get for the next 5-6 months
2017-11-26
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-11-26 13:15

Certainly gives another reason to get the ND filters...
2017-11-26
Use props
Orbis Terrae
New

Switzerland

Has anyone sent back to drone after having the issue ? Did it get fixed 100% ? Or is it a design issue ? I’m experiencing on mavic platinum and I am very frustrated...
2017-12-4
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-11-26 13:01

Actually no, calibration(s) were done without the filter.
2017-12-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

QuadKid Posted at 2017-12-4 02:07
Actually no, calibration(s) were done without the filter.

This is counter intuïtive
2017-12-4
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-12-4 02:23
This is counter intuïtive

I know but it works for me, went out flying yesterday did the same thing, filter off jello, filter on no jello. I think the issue is only with certain Mavics as illustrated in the 1st video at the top of this post. DJI's response is to send it in, not doing that!
It appears to be a gimbal balance problem on some of the units, maybe a bad lot that slipped past DJI's exceptional quality control dept. (sarcasm) This was a much easier fix for me, always fly with a filter anyway.
2017-12-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

QuadKid Posted at 2017-12-4 02:56
I know but it works for me, went out flying yesterday did the same thing, filter off jello, filter on no jello. I think the issue is only with certain Mavics as illustrated in the 1st video at the top of this post. DJI's response is to send it in, not doing that!
It appears to be a gimbal balance problem on some of the units, maybe a bad lot that slipped past DJI's exceptional quality control dept. (sarcasm) This was a much easier fix for me, always fly with a filter anyway.

Hello QuadKid, what's the current version of aircraft, controller and APP? Has the drone been involved in crash or hard landing? Please help us check and we'll forward to our engineers for further review, thanks!
2017-12-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Orbis Terrae Posted at 2017-12-4 01:29
Has anyone sent back to drone after having the issue ? Did it get fixed 100% ? Or is it a design issue ? I’m experiencing on mavic platinum and I am very frustrated...

Hey Orbis, what's the current aircraft and controller version? Please try to calibrate the IMU and gimbal camera to see whether it helps. If not, please upload some original videos in SD card for double check, thanks!
2017-12-4
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-12-4 23:04
Hello QuadKid, what's the current version of aircraft, controller and APP? Has the drone been involved in crash or hard landing? Please help us check and we'll forward to our engineers for further review, thanks!

Hey Susan, Mavic FW is 01.04.0000 - RC FW 01.04.0000 - Go 4 App 4.1.16 (Crystal Sky FW 02.03.00.00)
Absolutely no hard landings or crashes, the jello disappears when a polar pro filter ( any type ) is installed.
2017-12-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

QuadKid Posted at 2017-12-5 02:32
Hey Susan, Mavic FW is 01.04.0000 - RC FW 01.04.0000 - Go 4 App 4.1.16 (Crystal Sky FW 02.03.00.00)
Absolutely no hard landings or crashes, the jello disappears when a polar pro filter ( any type ) is installed.

Thanks for getting back to us. We've forwarded to our engineers for double check. We will keep follow up and update the status here.
2017-12-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

QuadKid Posted at 2017-12-5 02:32

Update: Quadkid, I just got the latest news from our engineers that they suggest to send the Mavic to us for fixing this issue. Thanks for your understanding and support.
2017-12-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules