Need some help on Magnetic Disturbance Error?
1228 11 2017-11-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GrumpyDrone
lvl.1
United States

This seems to have developed, now that I think about it, when I installed a Marco Pollo on the right rear leg of my Phantom 3 Pro. So if you are looking at the camera head on, the transmitter is zip tied to the rear right leg. Could this be causing a Compass/Magnetic error? I flew it today out in the middle of nowhere, and I kept getting the error on the app. I basically packed it up and went home as I was afraid it would keep going.

Thoughts on this? Thanks.

2017-11-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Take a photo showing the Marco Polo installed on the drone, taking care to show all four legs.
2017-11-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Yes, it could.
You've attached an electronic device very close to your compass.
You need to recalibrate your compass so that the Phantom understands what magnetic effects are part of the Phantom and what is the earth's normal magnetic field.
2017-11-25
Use props
GrumpyDrone
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-11-25 18:55
Yes, it could.
You've attached an electronic device very close to your compass.
You need to recalibrate your compass so that the Phantom understands what magnetic effects are part of the Phantom and what is the earth's normal magnetic field.

Thanks. I did and I still got the error.
2017-11-25
Use props
GrumpyDrone
lvl.1
United States

2017-11-25
Use props
GrumpyDrone
lvl.1
United States

Sorry about it being upside down...
2017-11-25
Use props
GrumpyDrone
lvl.1
United States

2017-11-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Look closely at your landing gear and you'll see the compass is under a little plate at the bottom of one of the legs.
Mount your device as far away from the compass as you can - diagonally opposite.
And then recalibrate the compass.
2017-11-25
Use props
GrumpyDrone
lvl.1
United States

Can I mount the Marco Polo ON TOP of the Drone unit - right in the middle? Or will it affect something else? If so, best place to mount it?
2017-11-26
Use props
Gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

GrumpyDrone Posted at 2017-11-26 08:31
Can I mount the Marco Polo ON TOP of the Drone unit - right in the middle? Or will it affect something else? If so, best place to mount it?

ehhh... not recommended.  That would interfere with the GPS receiver at the top.  My recommendation is to look for one of the many 3d printed mounts that people have made for various add-ons like your Marco Polo.  Try looking on the shapeways website -- here is just the first mount I ran across:  DJI Phantom Universal mount

2017-11-26
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

It's indeed not a good place to mount the little thing...
2017-11-27
Use props
GrumpyDrone
lvl.1
United States

Suggestions on where to mount Susan? Thanks
2017-11-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules