Beginner major problems
1045 21 2017-11-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_Z7QOtdk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 51378 ft

United States

I'm having trouble getting to square one. Cannot figure out how to up date firmware on my Phantom 4 Advanced.

The DJI tutorial just doesn't make sense.
After watching, heres the quesitons I have.
But first I need a VERY BASIC STEP BY STEP tutorial, skipping nothing. Including how the heck to unzip a file (did that with a PC many years ago).

I'm trying to use the procedure of putting the micro SD into the camera and connecting the plane to the computer. There's NOTHING after "the computer requires and internet connection" and "wait for the status bar".....

Instructions for firmware say connect to internet and then wait for the progress bar? Where's the progress bar?

It says to format the SD card using the app? WTF what app?

How do you trigger starting the download?

How do you know the download is starting?5

How do you check the software version on the plane and the controller?

What does beeping mean? Steady beep every second?

How do I decompress the file, and how do I know it?

Totally lost.
MacBookPro OS 10.9.5

Seevee

2017-11-28
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

I take it you're trying to update?
2017-11-28
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Just to verify, is the P4A with build-in screen or not? For the update via Mac, you can refer this video for double check.

2017-11-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Why are you using an SD card?

Go to p64 in the manual and it gives you two different ways to update firmware.  Neither involve an SD card.
Method 1: Using the DJI Assistant 2
1.  Power on the aircraft and connect it to a computer with a USB cable.
2.  Launch DJI Assistant 2 and login with a DJI account.
3.  Select “Phantom 4 Advanced / Advanced+” and click “Firmware Upgrade” on the left.
4.  Select the firmware version required.
5.  DJI Assistant 2 will download and upgrade the firmware automatically.
6.  Restart the aircraft after the firmware upgrade is complete.

Method 2: Using the DJI GO 4 App
1.  Ensure the both the aircraft and the remote controller are powered on and connected.
2.  For Phantom 4 Advanced, connect the Micro USB port of the aircraft to the mobile device with the USB OTG cable.
For Phantom 4 Advanced+, connect the Micro USB port of the aircraft and the remote controller with the USB OTG cable.
3.   Follow  the  on-screen  instructions  in  the  DJI  GO  4  app  to  upgrade.  Ensure  the  Internet  is  available during upgrading.
4.   Restart the aircraft after the firmware upgrade is complete
2017-11-28
Use props
djiuser_Z7QOtdk
lvl.1

United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-11-28 20:32
Why are you using an SD card?

Go to p64 in the manual and it gives you two different ways to update firmware.  Neither involve an SD card.

Hi, Thx for the help. I made a mistake, I have a Phantom 3 Advanced, not 4.
Yes, I'm trying to update firmware. Here's what I've done (twice):

Tried using micro to load firmware.
Downloaded firmware from DJI web site. Dragged to micro (suppose to unzip automatically)
Put into plane. Beeped for a short while, then solid beep. Red/green light remains red, never blinks red and green. The txt file shows several success and failure notes. Also says the firmware on the card is equal or older than the firmware on the plane.
Tried to plug plane into computer. Tried two computers, 3 ports and 2 cables, does not show up on finder.

Did similar update for controller, using micro on plane and cable to connect. Ran for 20 min, nothing happened, just a fairly quiet beep from the plane the whole time. Isn’t the controlled suppose to quit when done, then I need to restart? So, I shut down and restarted.

Reloaded DJI GO app on both Iphone 6+ and Ipad pro 9in. Started controller, plane and app on Ipad. Went thru sign in and connect, which says go to equipment page and enter camera view. Neither the Iphone or the Ipad equipment page opens (might already be there?). But on the Ipad and Iphone, clicking on the plane icon in the upper left gives me a page that gives me a page with Flight List on the right and my user name on the left. Below user name is 0Min 0m 0 and below that is footprints, tope distance max takeoff altitude and top speed. And I'm stuck there.

At one time, before I reloaded the software, I had a page that had a banner on the top that said Aircraft Disconnected, and the web site said that rebooting may solve that issue.

But I can't even get back there.

I bought this from a pretty sharp guy, used. And he demo'd it with his Iphone 6+, just like mine and everything worked just fine.

I'm obviously doing something wrong. Any ideas appreciated.
2017-11-29
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

You can update from the app on the P3. Reformat the sd card  and insert into AC.  Turn on AC and remote and connect to app. Select update.
2017-11-29
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

Forgot, make sure you have a full charge on battery.
2017-11-29
Use props
djiuser_Z7QOtdk
lvl.1

United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-11-29 08:21
Forgot, make sure you have a full charge on battery.

Had a full charge when I started 3 hours ago (on second battery now, 3/4 full)
2017-11-29
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

Should be ok then.
2017-11-29
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

Do you have props off?i
2017-11-29
Use props
djiuser_Z7QOtdk
lvl.1

United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-11-29 08:20
You can update from the app on the P3. Reformat the sd card  and insert into AC.  Turn on AC and remote and connect to app. Select update.

<<<
You can update from the app on the P3. Reformat the sd card  and insert into AC.  Turn on AC and remote and connect to app. Select update.>>>

Don't understand. Update the card from the app? I can't connect the card to an Iphone or Ipad.
2017-11-29
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

Put the card into the drone
2017-11-29
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

Good internet connection, right?.
2017-11-29
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

djiuser_Z7QOtdk Posted at 2017-11-29 08:27
>

Don't understand. Update the card from the app? I can't connect the card to an Iphone or Ipad.

Is it updating?
2017-11-29
Use props
djiuser_Z7QOtdk
lvl.1

United States

You mean put the card into the drone and connect via usb to my computer? The computer won't recognize the drone. Tried two computers, two cords and three ports.
Great internet connection.

Still no luck and no options....
2017-11-29
Use props
djiuser_Z7QOtdk
lvl.1

United States

My seller took a picture of what his app shows with the option to connect to camera (and he is not connected to a drone. I took a picture of what I get connect to drone or not.
I'm not getting the "camera" prompt.
2017-11-29
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

No need to connect to computer.  Do not connect any cables. It will connect thru the wifi and update
2017-11-29
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

Just do everything like you're going to take it out to fly. Then hit update in the app
2017-11-29
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

Gotta leave for a few hours. Let me know if it works
2017-11-29
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

djiuser_Z7QOtdk Posted at 2017-11-29 09:37
[view_image]

My seller took a picture of what his app shows with the option to connect to camera (and he is not connected to a drone. I took a picture of what I get connect to drone or not.

the r/c has to be connected to your phone or whatever device you have the go app on.  By usb cable.  From controller to device.  Then you should be able to connect to the drone.  At that point, you should get the Enter Camera View icon on your device screen.  Click that.  There may be an advertisment screen with an x at the top right, probably.  Click that to close the ad.  You should be at the camera view with flight data and stuff.  You should see what the camera sees.  You  may also see an Update Firmware banner.  Click that.  You need an internet connection for it to work.
2017-11-29
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

djiuser_Z7QOtdk Posted at 2017-11-29 08:14
Hi, Thx for the help. I made a mistake, I have a Phantom 3 Advanced, not 4.
Yes, I'm trying to update firmware. Here's what I've done (twice):

An additional suggestion, download the owners manual for the Phantom 3 Advanced  here.
2017-11-29
Use props
djiuser_Z7QOtdk
lvl.1

United States

All,

Tried everything, and ended up sending the drone to Drone Nerds in Miami. They reinstalled the firmware and got it working. Working fine for now.

Now how can I change my user name to my choice?

Seevee
2017-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules