Flying from outdoors to indoors (loss of GPS signal)
1708 11 2017-11-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kevin36
lvl.2
Flight distance : 356476 ft
South Africa

What will happen if while I am flying my Mavic Pro outside with GPS and I proceed to fly it indoors through say an open door? Assume I then loose GPS signal. Will it switch to ATTI mode and continue to fly stable under my control or will it try and RTH?
2017-11-29
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

It'll eventually go into atti-mode and not be stable so be careful with how you fly near obstacles. It will wouldn't go into RTH unless you've activated it.
2017-11-29
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

better switch rth to  hover !!, also you can buy a gps repeater if you want to fly indoors
2017-11-29
Use props
RocketChap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 902034 ft
United Kingdom

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-11-29 03:11
It'll eventually go into atti-mode and not be stable so be careful with how you fly near obstacles. It will wouldn't go into RTH unless you've activated it.

If the Mavic looses the RC signal (due to attenuation of the building walls etc.)  but still has GPS,  it should initiate a RTH shouldn't it?
2017-11-29
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RocketChap Posted at 2017-11-29 03:19
If the Mavic looses the RC signal (due to attenuation of the building walls etc.)  but still has GPS,  it should initiate a RTH shouldn't it?

In theory it should. Lost of complete signal then RTH should kick in. I've tested flying indoor once and never again - way too risky. In my opinion it's just not made to fly indoors; unless the home is a mansion or castle.
2017-11-29
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

Hope you have Care Refresh. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.
2017-11-29
Use props
Andy Uk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3985676 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-11-29 03:11

I could go into RTH IF it lost signal between the RC and the Mavic.
2017-11-29
Use props
Andy Uk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3985676 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So some suggestions.  When GPS is lost the Mavic will go into ATTI which means it has the potential to drift, you need to be on your toes and a good flier to cope in this situation.  However if you have visual positioning switched on and there is enough ambient light for it to work the Mavic should remain relatively stable.  

Something to watch out for.  If you are some distance away the walls of the building could block the RC signal so there is the potential in such a scenario for RTH to kick in.... you definitely don't want that to happen So my advice would be to set the mavic to "Hover" on signal loss just in case.
2017-11-29
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Andy Uk Posted at 2017-11-29 13:42
I could go into RTH IF it lost signal between the RC and the Mavic.

If there's some signal. If not it'll present an issue.

From the MP manual:

Aircraft cannot return to the Home Point when GPS signal is weak ( [  ] displays grey) or unavailable. The aircraft cannot avoid obstruction during the Failsafe RTH when Forward Vision System is disabled. Therefore, it is important to set an suitable Failsafe altitude before each fight. Launch the DJI GO app and enter “Camera” and tap   to set the Failsafe Altitude.  User cannot control the aircraft while the aircraft is ascending to its failsafe altitude. However, user can press RTH button once to exit ascending and regain control.
2017-11-29
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

My house is a mid-century modern, flat roof style house so while I've never flown mine indoors, I've noticed while powered on in the house its still able to get 10+ satellites.  I just don't think the risk/reward ratio is good enough to risk it.
2017-11-29
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I've flown quads for quite awhile, and am quite confident flying outdoors.  I finally decided to fly inside and it took about 10 seconds for me to hit a wall and do a somewhat minor crash.  Never again indoors.  Someone else did a post saying that, if you want to get some indoor images, just hold the quad in your hand and walk it around with the motors off and camera on.  It's very risky to fly indoors.  If you do, there ought to be some really really good reason.
2017-11-29
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Kevin36, it will switch to ATTI mode when there is GPS signal. If it is in ATTI mode, the flight will not be stable, please take care of your movement. If there is no GPS signal, RTH will not work, coz there is no direction for the drone itself to recognize, you can only manually control it.
But we don't recommend doing so, coz it could be dangerous. Please kindly choose a broad place for flying. features of ATTI.png
2017-11-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules