FAA Adding Class E Airspace?
1296 7 2017-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BamaDan78
lvl.1
Flight distance : 320023 ft
United States

Good morning! I recently had a map update on my Phantom 4. When I went to some company property to perform a flight (which I've done repeatedly over the past year or so), I got the warning that I was in restricted airspace. Looking at the VFR map, I saw that I was now in Class E airspace due to being near an uncontrolled airport. This airspace was also around another nearby uncontrolled airport.

To be honest, I don't remember these airspaces being around these two particular airports (I've flown into and out of both with a coworker who owns a plane at one of the airports), used the VFR maps as we flew around. In addition, I've never gotten the airspace restriction when I've been at this particular property.

Is the FAA adding Class E Airspace restrictions to smaller airports? This doesn't really affect my flying, as I'm getting close-up overhead shots, but I just found it interesting.
2017-11-30
Use props
allyssongemelli
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2562467 ft
Brazil

How far are you from this aiports?
2017-11-30
Use props
BamaDan78
lvl.1
United States

allyssongemelli Posted at 2017-11-30 07:21
How far are you from this aiports?

The closest I would be at one property is 4 miles, where I was last night was 5.65 miles (using Google Earth ruler). Neither are in the path of a direct approach or departure from the runway.
2017-11-30
Use props
allyssongemelli
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2562467 ft
Brazil

The rule is 3 mile? I don't have sure.
2017-11-30
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

What's it look like in DJI maps?  DJI Geo Zone Map

I don't know how well the boundaries are controlled by DJI and if they are all circular or some other shape and taken from which point on an airport as some are quite long.
2017-11-30
Use props
BamaDan78
lvl.1
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-11-30 07:48
What's it look like in DJI maps?  DJI Geo Zone Map

I don't know how well the boundaries are controlled by DJI and if they are all circular or some other shape and taken from which point on an airport as some are quite long.

According to the DJI map, it isn't the airports that's the issue. It's two large circular MOA's that are overlapping right along where our properties are. According to the latest sectional chart, neither are actually circular. The northern MOA's southern boundary is 4-5 miles north of my location and the southern MOA's northern boundary is at least 30-50 miles south of my location.  Interesting.
2017-11-30
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Yeah, those MOA boundaries are interesting.  I'm wanting to work near one, but it's one-half mile away from it on the sectional map.  Somehow I think it is going to become a DJI issue due to its irregular shape too.
2017-11-30
Use props
BamaDan78
lvl.1
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-11-30 08:39
Yeah, those MOA boundaries are interesting.  I'm wanting to work near one, but it's one-half mile away from it on the sectional map.  Somehow I think it is going to become a DJI issue due to its irregular shape too.

I agree on it likely being a DJI issue. I think you can get information on the MOA to find the ceiling and floor. From what I can tell, it doesn't look like drone flying will be an issue. I use https://skyvector.com/ before I fly just to make sure.

"Birmingham 2 MOA excludes airspace from surface to, but not including 4000'."  If I'm reading that right, as long as you keep your drone under 4k feet, you should be good.
2017-11-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules