First battery warning not working
1098 9 2015-4-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stevelucky
lvl.1
Flight distance : 532894 ft
United States

I set the assitant to return to home on the first warning and wanted to test it out but the first warning never triggered. I'm using the iOSD Mini so I know the exact percentage and it flew down to 25% and the warning never came on. If it goes down to 15% it will automatically land like it's supposed to. RTH totally works if I flip it to failsafe, and I've got 11 satelites so I can't think of a reason that it wouldn't trigger. Does it matter what flight mode I'm in or if I'm flying in home lock or course lock? Any thoughts?

For reference, here's my setting in the Phantom Assistant.

Screen Shot 2015-04-14 at (Apr 14) 9.46.31AM.png
2015-4-14
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

I have been watching this thread to see if someone would respond. This is something I have not tried yet but I would like to know if it works as well. Looked all over the internet and the only thing that I can find is that it might be related to what revision of firmware you are currently using on the Phantom. There were a variety of answers out there on this topic. One stated it only worked on the Vision and Vision + but then there were responses stating it worked on their P2 (non vision). No mention of firmware revision they were running. I would check and make sure you are all up to date on your firmware and assistant software. Other than that maybe someone that has experienced this will chime in. Good luck.
Ray
2015-4-14
Use props
stevelucky
lvl.1
United States

I'm definitely up to date on everything. I have a hard time believing that it's only for the Vision or Vision+ as it's shown as an option in the Phantom assistant software. Yeah, hopefully someone has some insight here.
2015-4-14
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

I have experienced the exact same thing.  I alluded to this in a thread where I mention I keep flying back to me to check the lights on the battery.  I guess I trust those more.  In my log I have as a to-do is to check this very thing next time I am out.  I am purposely not going to charge one of my batteries to see what happens.

I know in the past I have not seen the first warning, but did get the low battery - land in xx time.  I landed.
2015-4-14
Use props
stevelucky
lvl.1
United States

Let me know how it goes. This is pretty annoying as it's a supposed safety feature and a pretty big one, if you're depending on it. Luckily, I have the iOSD Mini which will allow me to monitor my voltage. I used to have a hex that I built with a Naza v2 flight controller, just like the Phantom has, and they're were a lot more options with that thing than they give you with the Phantom.
2015-4-14
Use props
stevelucky
lvl.1
United States

FWIW, it's worth. I just took it out again, and it wouldn't even auto land at 15%. It finally did at 13%, but it should have landed at 15%. It's a little nuts how off these battery alarms are.
2015-4-14
Use props
i_anderson
lvl.2

United States

FWIW, I'm pretty sure the low battery warning (not critical level) is "intelligent"...... The further away the bird, the 'longer' the yellow bar in the vision app. It guesstimates how much juice will be needed to RTH, and adjusts during the flight. Ergo, if you're testing with it close to you there's almost no difference between 'low' & 'critical' and you may not get any "low" warning prior to it going critical and RTH.

As for 13-15%. That's well within tolerance IMO. At those levels it's dropping pretty fast so I susepct it triggered at 15% and you first noticed it at 13. No problem.

Cheers,
Ian
2015-4-15
Use props
stevelucky
lvl.1
United States

As for the final warning, yeah, you're probably right. I'm not too concerned about that. As for the first, low battery warning, I'd never heard or read anything about it being an "intelligent" warning but you may be right. I just checked the Phantom Assistant app again and it says:

"The thresholds of low battery level is determined automatically based on the current aircraft altitude and its distance from the Home point."

So, that changes things a bit. I have my own personal trust issues with it "intelligently" determining when to return home. I wish I could set it like the standard Naza v2 settings that allow me to specify a voltage, otherwise I'm kind of just hoping that it's going to work correctly. Still, at least this gives me something to go off of and test some more. Thanks for the clarification.

2015-4-15
Use props
i_anderson
lvl.2

United States

Yep, agreed..... It was my maiden voyage - low & close..... All was going well till she took off - Up & away!..... A little pooh came... I switched off the TX (Phantom mode back then!) and said a quick prayer..... Started hovering above my start point (I'd walked maybe 30 yards) and then descended beautifully to home.

I was stoked, but pissed I'd received no low battery warning..... Re-read the manual.... OK.... Now I let her go further, the yellow line definitely gets longer.

Cheers,
Ian
2015-4-15
Use props
stevelucky
lvl.1
United States

I'm just going to make sure to keep my eye on the voltage on that OSD.
2015-4-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules