Successfully recovered during ATTI Mode
1590 16 2017-12-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
InkedUpDad.com
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55276 ft
United States

I wanted to take a moment and thank everyone who offers tips, tricks and advice on this forum. I've owned my Spark for a few months and I've found most of the users and posts her to be incredibly useful.

Yesterday I decided to get my Spark up in the air for a quick flight. Prior to flying I made sure that GPS was strong (14) and I was in an open field with no concrete, building, power lines, etc. In fact, I fly there quite often.

After about five minutes of flight I wanted to bring the Spark back down and pop on an ND filter. During descent the verbal warning indicated ATTI mode. The Spark began to drift in the opposite direction while descending. I was able to identify the drone in LOS and and guide it back to the original landing area using the remote.

Upon landing the Spark obtained GPS and I completed another flight with no errors.

Seriously though, thanks to reading other posts on this forum I knew not to panic. To keep LOS and to do my best to make adjustments to get the Spark back. I highly suggest flying indoors in ATTI mode for practice. I'd done that quite a few times based upon recommendations on here and it was key in maintaining control once GPS dropped.

So, one last time. Thanks to everyone who contributes on here.

2017-12-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Good job, never easy but successful outcome well done.
2017-12-4
Use props
dedreiix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 194911 ft
Germany

Yeah. Great story.
I am thinking about flying in ATTI Mode in a part in about 2meters height to train this as flying at home is no option for me.
2017-12-4
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

Good for you for staying in line of sight...  It would be impossible to get the spark back in ATTI mode if you can't see it.
I bought a cheap toy drone with no GPS and I love the little thing.. great fun and it makes better at controlling the spark.  I wish we could turn off GPS and fly outside for practice.
I have flown inside many times and the spark is hard to control, but learning to control it inside will save your spark someday outside.
2017-12-4
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Good job flying it back in ATTI.  

Another hint is to point the antennas in the direction the spark is going.  It helps keep orientation since the cockpit of the controller and the cockpit of the Spark have the same orientation/direction.  Keep controls from getting crossed up for those with little RC experience.
2017-12-4
Use props
krisp-spark
lvl.4
Australia

Great to hear you managed to recover.

One OT question: What does "LOS" mean?
2017-12-4
Use props
Not_That_Nic_Sp
lvl.3
Flight distance : 158045 ft
United States

krisp-spark Posted at 2017-12-4 19:00
Great to hear you managed to recover.

One OT question: What does "LOS" mean?

I believe LOS is referring to Line of Sight.
2017-12-4
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, sir. Glad you did not lose your drone. Please install prop guards when you practice to fly indoor and here are some tips for 3D Vision system.
3D VISION SYSTEM.png
2017-12-4
Use props
InkedUpDad.com
lvl.2
United States

Not_That_Nic_Sp Posted at 2017-12-4 19:40
I believe LOS is referring to Line of Sight.

Correct, line of sight.
2017-12-5
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

LOS is used wrong here.  What the OP meant was "in sight."  Or, VLOS (visual line of sight which is an odd term).

LOS most often refers to an unobstructed straight line between two antennas.  The OP stating that the drone was LOS to him could mean he was flying it 20 miles away at 30,000 feet while he stood on a hill with no trees.  That would be LOS in that he would have a straight line between him and the drone with no obstructions (mountains, trees, horizon curve, etc).   But obviously no way of seeing the drone.

A TV satellite dish should have LOS to the satellite since the signals will not pass by any obstruction between the TX and RX antennas.  But in this example, the satellite would not be "in sight."

2017-12-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Gunship9 Posted at 2017-12-5 08:20
LOS is used wrong here.  What the OP meant was "in sight."  Or, VLOS (visual line of sight which is an odd term).

LOS most often refers to an unobstructed straight line between two antennas.  The OP stating that the drone was LOS to him could mean he was flying it 20 miles away at 30,000 feet while he stood on a hill with no trees.  That would be LOS in that he would have a straight line between him and the drone with no obstructions (mountains, trees, horizon curve, etc).   But obviously no way of seeing the drone.

LOS seems to be used here on this forum some call it line of sight some call it line of signal it’s confusing, line of sight in aviation has a meaning line of signal is just made up BS, when you go beyond VLOS in aviation terms this is called BVLOS beyond vision line of sight and is quite widely used in drone flying.

So really in terms of flying drones and being able to see or not see your drone ,VLOS and BVLOS are correct terms that should be used.
2017-12-5
Use props
InkedUpDad.com
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-5 08:44
LOS seems to be used here on this forum some call it line of sight some call it line of signal it’s confusing, line of sight in aviation has a meaning line of signal is just made up BS, when you go beyond VLOS in aviation terms this is called BVLOS beyond vision line of sight and is quite widely used in drone flying.

So really in terms of flying drones and being able to see or not see your drone ,VLOS and BVLOS are correct terms that should be used.

When I piloted in the military it was VLOS and BVLOS. I think LOS is used on these forums and many other drone forums because certain consumer FAA materials do mention LOS.

I have an FAA pamphlet for consumer drone pilots that specifically states their suggestion is to keep the drone within "line-of-sight."

I used the term because it seems to be what the majority uses here.
2017-12-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

InkedUpDad.com Posted at 2017-12-5 11:19
When I piloted in the military it was VLOS and BVLOS. I think LOS is used on these forums and many other drone forums because certain consumer FAA materials do mention LOS.

I have an FAA pamphlet for consumer drone pilots that specifically states their suggestion is to keep the drone within "line-of-sight."

Your right and it has been confusing for a lot of people, most people will realize what you are talking about and I understood, but then others feel the need to point out the difference.

I’m aware of the FAA use of Los but it seems when reading further into their rules they actually mean keeping aircraft in sight ie you can see it. It’s not very clear I think.
2017-12-5
Use props
jksphoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 114121 ft
United Kingdom

Great to hear some more positivity on the forum, amongst the negatives
2017-12-5
Use props
OOO
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3319262 ft
  • >>>
Turkey

Most of this video  was shot in ATTI mode. I turned of OA and VPS before the flight.

2017-12-6
Use props
brian_b
lvl.2
United States

Itʻs good to hear a positive outcome.
2017-12-6
Use props
fansd8478528
lvl.2
Flight distance : 77343 ft
United Kingdom

Glad you were able to fly it back.  I took advise to practise on a cheap toy quadcopter ( which I did because it was all I had.)  It has definitely helped me on two similar flights.  I still got that OMG feeling though.
2017-12-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules