1820 16 2017-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
meedz24
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1916 ft
Canada

Posting on behalf of my brother in law - he lost his Mavic today

Based on the flight logs he uploaded, looks like the Mavic went bazerk with Yaw and Compass warnings. He says he requested "RTH" but it never came back, and took it's own flight path.

He also told me that the footage on the DJI GO app does not match the flight path on the map..... Given the compass gave out, the path displayed is likely not the right path?

He's tried searching in all of the backyards with no luck. DJI case has been opened, but i figured I would post for him to get your opinions. Winds in the Toronto area today were 14MPH or 24 KMH.

I just recently bought a Mavic and have yet to activate it.... Got the shivers now :O Any opinions would be appreciated.

From my diagnosis, it seems that wind warnings were displayed (although I know this is a common warning even with no wind) - and winds were only 24KMH today, well within Mavic's ability. It just went crazy after losing signal.
* It seems that once the connection was lost, the RTH was initiated but that's when it all went down hill. It just threw a ton of malfunctions. At this point no connection with the RC was ever re-established.

https://app.airdata.com/main?fli ... ENERALNotifications

2017-12-5
Use props
Ardenno
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1877910 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I have more exp with spark but If aircraft switched to atti why still has problems  with compass ? Why AC trying back to GPS mode when is fc.up? When I had compass error with my spark atti mode solved problem with compass I could fly home manually with no problem.
2017-12-5
Use props
meedz24
lvl.2
Canada

Also, the footage from DJI GO.
https://www.skypixel.com/videos/ ... ;utm_campaign=share

2017-12-5
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi sir, I am sorry to hear about the loss of the drone. Please check the flight records on the DJI GO 4 app of this accident, check the take-off point, pull the progress bar to the end if it is right, then you and your brother can see the location of the last signal of the drone. Try to find the drone there. Please don't enable Map Coordinates on the general settings in the app, it is for Mainland China only.
At the same time, please contact our support to start a ticket, we will help to make data analysis, if it's a warranty case, we will compensate the drone if it is under warranty according to After-Sales Policy.
Here’s the link to contact us: http://www.dji.com/support
2017-12-6
Use props
meedz24
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-6 01:51
Hi sir, I am sorry to hear about the loss of the drone. Please check the flight records on the DJI GO 4 app of this accident, check the take-off point, pull the progress bar to the end if it is right, then you and your brother can see the location of the last signal of the drone. Try to find the drone there. Please don't enable Map Coordinates on the general settings in the app, it is for Mainland China only.
At the same time, please contact our support to start a ticket, we will help to make data analysis, if it's a warranty case, we will compensate the drone if it is under warranty according to After-Sales Policy.
Here’s the link to contact us: http://www.dji.com/support

Hi DJI,

The case has been opened and info was submitted - hopefully the analysis shows equipment failure.

We tried to follow your instructions above but interestingly the point of "disconnect" is not where the aircraft landed, as there is video footage cached that was somehow still being transmitted from the aircraft continuing to fly sideways for an unknown period of time until it finally stopped (after it lost range). The area on the map where it shows the last connection point is not the same area in the video transmitted so there is no hope in trying to find it sadly.

Really hoping DJI is able to deem it as malfunction, as it's very upsetting! Moreover, it's really got me paranoid to flying my own Mavic which I have yet to activate....
2017-12-6
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

meedz24 Posted at 2017-12-6 10:33
Hi DJI,

The case has been opened and info was submitted - hopefully the analysis shows equipment failure.

Meedz24, sorry for that you are not able to recover the drone. The disconnected point may not be the last location of the drone but it is the most probable location for the pilot to refer to. If the drone keeps flying when the record ends, then the location will be different then.
We will analysis your data of the flight, please wait for the result. Thank you for your patience.
2017-12-7
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Use this link to upload the log from the device and post back the link here.
Log Viewer

It looks like the Mavic was just drifting with the wind in atti mode and without working compass.
It will drift for quit a few minutes before it will go into forced landing.
2017-12-8
Use props
Ahmed Hussain
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1339761 ft
  • >>>
Kuwait

Sorry for what happened with your brother in law.

Mind you that the wind speed is not the same in the sky as the home point. AS much as heigher the drone goes it will face heigher speed wind could reach 3 times or more than wind speed on the land.

You better find an app that provide you with wind gust at altitude levels.

Take care
2017-12-8
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Iceland

Ahmed Hussain Posted at 2017-12-8 10:54
Sorry for what happened with your brother in law.

Mind you that the wind speed is not the same in the sky as the home point. AS much as heigher the drone goes it will face heigher speed wind could reach 3 times or more than wind speed on the land.

If you look at the fly log it was not fighting the wind. The pitch is 0,1 to 0,3 degrees and the roll is 0,1 to 0,4 degrees so its just hovering and drifting with the wind.
2017-12-8
Use props
meedz24
lvl.2
Canada

FANTASTIC NEWS! DJI has investigated and concluded equipment failure and are sending a replacement Mavic . 3 Day turnaround for case analysis, and sending a new aircraft - NOW THAT'S SERVICE!

Good on you DJI for doing the right thing. Brother in law could not be happier.

2017-12-8
Use props
meedz24
lvl.2
Canada

G_Sig Posted at 2017-12-8 11:13
If you look at the fly log it was not fighting the wind. The pitch is 0,1 to 0,3 degrees and the roll is 0,1 to 0,4 degrees so its just hovering and drifting with the wind.

Just curious, how did you determine the pitch and roll? I can't seem to find that info on AirData?
2017-12-8
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Iceland

meedz24 Posted at 2017-12-8 14:09
FANTASTIC NEWS! DJI has investigated and concluded equipment failure and are sending a replacement Mavic . 3 Day turnaround for case analysis, and sending a new aircraft - NOW THAT'S SERVICE!

Good on you DJI for doing the right thing. Brother in law could not be happier.

Good news. I have not had anything to complain about in Dji service.
2017-12-8
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Iceland

meedz24 Posted at 2017-12-8 14:12
Just curious, how did you determine the pitch and roll? I can't seem to find that info on AirData?

You can download  both .cvs and .klm files from Airdata UAV  like here.
2017-12-8
Use props
tomrenaut
New
Flight distance : 404072 ft
Mali

Hi,
I had a similar problem today with my Mavic. It encountered problems quickly after take off, may be due to strong wind. I lost first connection image then control, not able to get the mavic back. I activated the RTH but similar result, no move. I disconnected it and tried to get control again, but battery went low and it ask for RTH again (automatically), not functionning and then forced landing.
By no chance i was above a cliff and the time i get down the mavic was pick up by a stranger ... stolen in a way. But it could have neen above water ... forest or people with similar or worse damages.
So RTH is not something i would rely on again. I will try to figure out with DJI the cause of this.
2017-12-9
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

tomrenaut Posted at 2017-12-9 04:10
Hi,
I had a similar problem today with my Mavic. It encountered problems quickly after take off, may be due to strong wind. I lost first connection image then control, not able to get the mavic back. I activated the RTH but similar result, no move. I disconnected it and tried to get control again, but battery went low and it ask for RTH again (automatically), not functionning and then forced landing.
By no chance i was above a cliff and the time i get down the mavic was pick up by a stranger ... stolen in a way. But it could have neen above water ... forest or people with similar or worse damages.

Hope everything turns out ok for you. I would hate to have one of my Mavic's stolen.
2017-12-9
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Iceland

tomrenaut Posted at 2017-12-9 04:10
Hi,

Can you share your flight data with us? You can use this link to upload the log and post back the link.
Phantom help upload
2017-12-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14044577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great to see DJI came through for you. I’d suggest maintaining visual line of sight in future and don’t fly in wind speeds of >10MPH at high altitude of 200-400’ AGL. That said, this specific case was clearly a malfunction with the drone so fair result.
2017-12-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules