Inspire for beginners?
6016 17 2015-4-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
xflight
lvl.1

Germany

Hi there,I have really no experience in flying drones or whatever, but must use a drone for my businnes in the near future. What do you think, is the Inspire 1 good for such a newbie like me or should I start with a Phantom? I´ve read that the I1 is easier to fly as the Phantom?!
2015-4-14
Use props
xflight
lvl.1

Germany

There are issues with the GPS? I did not know that. But u´re right, if the GPS is unlocked I have a big problem to fly. Maybe its better to buy a P3...or a Vision 2+ (then I have also more features to use, like waypoints)
2015-4-15
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Hey Xflight,

Whether you go for an Inspire or Phantom, strongly suggest that you add a few bucks to the budget and also pick up a cheapie quad from Ebay like a Syma x5c or similar - they are great toys to learn some skills on the sticks before you commit thousands to the air.

Lots of fun to play with too!
2015-4-15
Use props
Skywolf007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2758875 ft
Slovakia

I bought the Inspire as a newbie, and slowly learned, how to fly it. Now I can fly atti mode, and make tricks too

Just be careful in the beginning, not to crash it
2015-4-15
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Inspire is a very expensive way to learn to fly. Keep in mind that you are learning two things, flying and aerial filming. I recommend starting with the Phantom 3 professional. The quality of video will be the same as the Inspire and it will cost you far less if you make a mistake (which is inevitable for a first timer). Note that I'm not bashing the Inspire - it is a great product. But like many others here I learned on a Phantom first and am very glad I did before moving to the Inspire.
2015-4-15
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

I think Abe is right...The I1 is an expensive way to learn to fly...I agree with Mowog2 invest a couple of hundred dollars in a cheapie quad...I have a Blade Nano it will get you used to flying a bit and they are quite indestructible...I don't know how many times I've bounced mine off of walls, furniture and my wife...She very understanding...Also get yourself a Flight Simulator like RealFlight 7.5...You can practice GPS and Atti mode and even add in winds and faults to help you out...Check out the Regulations in your country...If you are in Canada you need to get straight with Transport Canada and if you are going to fly under an exemption there are 85 conditions you must follow...If you need to go further then you will have to fill out a painful document called an SFOC and is about 135 pages...You are on a steep learning curve but dont despair youll get there...As for the GPS dropout to Atti mode it looks like DJI has delivered...In the Inspire 1 support section the long awaited firmware update is now available and I have just downloaded it off the net...Wait a few days to see how it pans out ...I should be flying today with it and will post on how good it is...I will know real quick as every flight I get GPS dropout...In the mean time get the cheapie quad and start having some fun...Any hobby shop should have them...Good Luck, this really an interesting field to be in...BTW Thank You DJI for delivery on your promises and support on delivery of new firmware...
2015-4-15
Use props
xflight
lvl.1

Germany

I´ve bought yesterday a cheap quad and learned to fly. Hm...I´ve tried it, wihtout any support from GPS or something it´s really hard for the first time.
2015-4-15
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

xflight Posted at 2015-4-16 14:28
I´ve bought yesterday a cheap quad and learned to fly. Hm...I´ve tried it, wihtout any support fro ...

Yup...Better the cheapie quad than a $4 k investment...You might want to get yourself some spare batteries for about $10.00 a pop and keep it up...You will find it a lot easier when you start flying whatever bird you buy...The new software is out and the first reports seem encouraging...Keep an eye on the forums for the next week or two...and keep flying as much as you can...
2015-4-16
Use props
joekeantang
lvl.4

United States

Skywolf007 Posted at 2015-4-15 22:00
I bought the Inspire as a newbie, and slowly learned, how to fly it. Now I can fly atti mode, and ma ...

tricks what kind of trick? show us the tricks...
2015-4-16
Use props
FoxSTI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11286 ft
  • >>>
United States

I bought a bebeop before the inspire to learn the basics. I still have a long way to go, but I did learn some good lessons with the bebop.
Also if you learn to fly without GPS, you are ahead of the game.
2015-4-16
Use props
xflight
lvl.1

Germany

But I don´t understand for which reason many pilots fly more than 200m away? You only see a little black point in the sky and don´t know which direction the quad flys. That makes no sense to me

Thx for your support.
2015-4-16
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

xflight Posted at 2015-4-17 15:27
But I don´t understand for which reason many pilots fly more than 200m away? You only see a little  ...

Yes, you will really struggle to fly line of sight at that distance and experience of flying POV will really help. The Blade Nano QX FPV is a really cheap and good quad to hone your skill's on as its not GPS driven, but is gyro stabilised and pretty much crash proof. Learn to fly FPV. There will always be a need to fly from the tablet at some stage, particularly if it starts to get out of range (visually).

Frankly, if you are comfortable flying one of these, flying the Inspire will not be too much of an issue. Use a lot of common sense and don't fly in tight spaces until you are really comfortable with the craft and how it handles. Even then with absolute caution.

The GPS dropout are supposedly fixed in the current firmware release. I rarely experienced them myself, but you always need to be prepared to fly without GPS as its never 100%.
2015-4-16
Use props
delas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1372287 ft
Greece

start with a toy quadcopter for a week and then you are ready for the inspire 1. and. . . . . . . 1 - 2 days with the flight simulator of the app.
inspire 1 is easier than a toy.
2015-4-17
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United Arab Emirates

This is somewhat recommended for beginner fliers:

Regards,
Bogdan
2015-4-19
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

My first quad was the Inspire.  I found it incredibly reliable and easy and within days was getting amazing shots.

Though you'll probably find the toy quad difficult to control, the Inspire is an absolute joy.

For a short time there was a problem with GPS dropouts but they have been fixed and as far as I know they are a thing of the past.

If you need it for business and keep a level head, there is no reason to believe you won't have great success.
2015-4-19
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

Mowog2 Posted at 2015-4-15 15:58
It is easy to fly if you have a GPS lock. Experienced flyers can deal with the drop outs beginners w ...

Exactly , and this will be a problem because a lot of newbies will confuse their bad expierience with the hardware or software , app etc .. Then posts will fly and some will not be happy when the app etc gets rewritten time after time only to solve some problems that do need addressing but unfortunately other items that never needed to be fixed further confusing not only the users but dji as well .....
2015-4-19
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

My two phantoms were excellent and still in perfect shape after tons of flights , my newer inspire is excellent as well . Nothing compares for the price.
2015-4-19
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

xflight Posted at 2015-4-17 15:27
But I don´t understand for which reason many pilots fly more than 200m away? You only see a little  ...

Here is one very good reason. The road was blocked off and this was the only way to the footage.
2015-4-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules