First Week, Four Props... Better than I expected.
1002 9 2017-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans4418b764
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4219 ft
United States

Been having a blast with the MPP. I got it last week and just flying it around the neighborhood and around the river. I've been reading the heck out of the forum and watching videos galore and trying different settings for "home movie style" use. In other words, nothing fancy, just for personal fun.

Based on a thread in one of the forums I moved from my Pixel 2 XL to a dedicated Huawei XT2. No app crashes with the new device so far. The Pixel would crash once or twice a session.

I am a bit clumsy. There's no people around so the only danger has been to the MPP, maybe some tree branches, and my ego. The wildest experience was when the MPP got hung up in my dipole antenna (ham ops will know) while I was trying to get a close-up of an abandoned brids nest. I thought I was well away from the antenna but the wire slipped between the propellers and the body of the MPP. It actually kept flying with the wire under the propellers. I was able to slowly center it again and slide out under the wire. I thought for sure it was going to stay up there and make me lower the antenna to get it down. I've bounced off a few branches. I think my depth perception isn't so good. When I'm flying in the distance I keep the height many feet above any obstacle but when I get closer to home I have a hard time navigating in my yard. There's a couple of trees but certainly not a forest and mostly open space. For some really strange reason I seem to drift towards trees. I've heard the buzz of propellers hitting small branches a few times now.

I notice after I view the videos that I see a lot more interesting detail than I saw while I was flying. Things seem to get lost in the view on the phone. I guess that just means I need to remember the spot investigate later.

The other thing I need a whole lot of work on is maneuvering. I get a little sea sick watching the playback of my trips. Especially when the MPP is facing me my intended left turn starts as a right turn and a quick correction. Going backwards starts as a forward movement and another quick correction. I supposed I'll get used to that over time but for now, it's kind of aggravating.

So far four broken propellers. Just chips off the tips but I supposed they're not very airworthy now. That can get expensive.

I can't complain about the MPP or the Go app at all. With the new phone things seem to be working pretty well now. I don't understand all the options yet but I don't want to get caught up in them. In fact, I'd be happy with full-auto camera setup.

Kev

2017-12-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I suppose it’s lucky Mavic is not a Hexacopter. Lol good luck.
2017-12-7
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sounds like you're having a blast with the MPP. Yeah wouldn't even try reinstalling those chipped props, pick up additional props. Perfecting the maneuvering skills comes with loads of practice and keep on flying and enjoy !
2017-12-7
Use props
CycleParadise
lvl.4
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

Thanks for he great info. I wouldn't try flying with the damaged props. They might seem expensive but are cheap compared to a new aircraft!!

You've had good success with the Huawei XT2, huh? I've been looking for a dedicated device for flying. Looks like it might be a good option.
2017-12-7
Use props
Kevin_d
lvl.3
United States

CycleParadise Posted at 2017-12-7 18:08
Thanks for he great info. I wouldn't try flying with the damaged props. They might seem expensive but are cheap compared to a new aircraft!!

You've had good success with the Huawei XT2, huh? I've been looking for a dedicated device for flying. Looks like it might be a good option.

I found the XT2 from another thread suggestion (maybe another forum?) and bought it as an ATT pre-paid phone from Walmart for $50. So far so good.
2017-12-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi Kevin, does anything else hurt from this flight? Please kindly fly the drone in a wide place, stay away from the obstacles, especially, the drone will not be able to avoid small objects like branches etc. and don't continue using the damaged props. If there is any doubt about the flight, you can also contact our support.us@dji.com for analysis. Thank you.
2017-12-7
Use props
Kevin_d
lvl.3
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-7 18:56
Hi Kevin, does anything else hurt from this flight? Please kindly fly the drone in a wide place, stay away from the obstacles, especially, the drone will not be able to avoid small objects like branches etc. and don't continue using the damaged props. If there is any doubt about the flight, you can also contact our  for analysis. Thank you.

Nope. Nothing else hurts. No doubts about the flights, just the pilot. The space here is pretty wide open but some of the cool things are in tight. As M.C. says above, I need loads of practice and that's my plan for the foreseeable future. Maybe a discount on propellers?

Kev
2017-12-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Kevin_d Posted at 2017-12-7 19:09
Nope. Nothing else hurts. No doubts about the flights, just the pilot. The space here is pretty wide open but some of the cool things are in tight. As M.C. says above, I need loads of practice and that's my plan for the foreseeable future. Maybe a discount on propellers?

Kev

Kev, experienced comes from practice. Believe you will be a professional pilot in the future.
BTW, it is a good idea to backup some props, but we don't have discounts for it, sorry.
2017-12-8
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

Never fly with a damaged prop. I always carry a set of extra props. will replace them when I notice even the slightest sign of damage. Also, don't buy second market props, even if they look exactly like the official DJI props, they aren't the same. Search the forums and you will see all kinds of horror stories of those who used second market props. The props are the most important and least expensive part on the Mavic.
2017-12-8
Use props
CycleParadise
lvl.4
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

Locoman Posted at 2017-12-8 03:25
Never fly with a damaged prop. I always carry a set of extra props. will replace them when I notice even the slightest sign of damage. Also, don't buy second market props, even if they look exactly like the official DJI props, they aren't the same. Search the forums and you will see all kinds of horror stories of those who used second market props. The props are the most important and least expensive part on the Mavic.

That's a great tip!! Thanks!
2017-12-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules