Guys I'm loosing the range of my spark Drone
3469 32 2017-12-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rayan911
lvl.3
Flight distance : 58330 ft
New Zealand

Hi Guys, I know that this question must have been asked hundreds times before. But I still cant figureout whats the problem here. My Spark is brand new and nearly 2 months old. flown with the controller couple of times. but never have been able to reach atleast 500m of altitude or 800m far. I want to fly higher and higher for good images. but when it reaches around 400 meters, it warns me saying with "Weak Transmission Signal". even my app says im operating on 2.4GHz still cant see whats wrong here.  I wanna try some range extenders and havent got them yet.
But is it normal ?

2017-12-13
Use props
Rayan911
lvl.3
New Zealand

just to confirm my max altitude is 236.8m and top distance is 705m
2017-12-13
Use props
Legacy0ne
lvl.2

Australia

How are you orientating your transmitter/antennas in relation to your drone? Too many variables to take into consideration, terrain, other signals, buildings, weather etc

Legally you should only operate up to 120m and visual line of site anyway... CAA regs, so be cautious

2017-12-13
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Are your antennas pointing in the right direction?
Try the height "thing" just about your head with the antennas straight forward.
And is Kiwi country CE or FCC ruled?
Because usually distance and height seems to work better, as distance with no height
2017-12-13
Use props
Rayan911
lvl.3
New Zealand

Legacy0ne Posted at 2017-12-13 18:35
How are you orientating your transmitter/antennas in relation to your drone? Too many variables to take into consideration, terrain, other signals, buildings, weather etc

Legally you should only operate up to 120m and visual line of site anyway... CAA regs, so be cautious

Hi,
yes I have always been keeping my transmitter straight with the drone and its a flat land im flying ( its dog walking park ) so there are no any tall buildings or trees that could interfere signal.
2017-12-13
Use props
Rayan911
lvl.3
New Zealand

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-12-13 18:36
Are your antennas pointing in the right direction?
Try the height "thing" just about your head with the antennas straight forward.
And is Kiwi country CE or FCC ruled?

Hi, i have tried the height just about few meters away from me. I don't think that would be a considerable distance compared to the "range" DJI published in their website. about the CE or FCC rules, I have no Idea what that is, but I only fly in a lonely park where there are only few dog walkers.
2017-12-13
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Rayan911 Posted at 2017-12-13 17:40

Hi, Ryan. Please ensure that you choose the best channel. I would recommend you enter the wifi setting and see if most of the channels are green. You can also try to change an environment and see if the range extend. Please keep us updated, thanks.
2017-12-13
Use props
Rayan911
lvl.3
New Zealand

Legally you should only operate up to 120m and visual line of site anyway... CAA regs, so be cautious

Hi Thanks for the advice. But I have seen some amazing areal photography which were taken from way more higher alttitude. So i though it might be ok to operate such heights as long as its safe.
2017-12-13
Use props
Rayan911
lvl.3
New Zealand

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-12-13 19:00
Hi, Ryan. Please ensure that you choose the best channel. I would recommend you enter the wifi setting and see if most of the channels are green. You can also try to change an environment and see if the range extend. Please keep us updated, thanks.

Hi, Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about changing the channel to a more stable one manually ( smallest green bar, right..!! ) and i think its a good idea that I change the environment as well. Ill keep updated . thanks again
2017-12-13
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

Rayan911 Posted at 2017-12-13 19:37
Hi, Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about changing the channel to a more stable one manually ( smallest green bar, right..!! ) and i think its a good idea that I change the environment as well. Ill keep updated . thanks again

Best guess is you are getting interference of the RC's data bit link.  Loosing bits to something transmitting on your channel.  That will shorten your range quick.  Is your phone's bluetooth on?  Is your GoPro's wifi or bluetooth on?

There is a good chance you will see photos from higher because either they are using a different drone with a more robust link or they are flying in an area with less signal interference.   You really need to look at the spectrum display if you are having range problems.  I bet a lot of it is red with a slightly less noisy channel selected by the Spark.

Also, be aware that your body or the controller's body can block the antennas from seeing the drone.  Leaning over to shade the display from the sun can cause problems.   2.4ghz is like radar in that it is very directional and prone to blockage.  Heavy tree trunks?
2017-12-13
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Rayan911 Posted at 2017-12-13 18:59
Hi, i have tried the height just about few meters away from me. I don't think that would be a considerable distance compared to the "range" DJI published in their website. about the CE or FCC rules, I have no Idea what that is, but I only fly in a lonely park where there are only few dog walkers.

2017-12-13
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Legally you should only operate up to 120m and visual line of site anyway... CAA regs, so be cautious

+1 - 400m is slightly illegal, https://www.airshare.co.nz/rules

interesting article, especially the fact a guy in the UK was fined for loosing control of his drone

http://www.mondaq.com/NewZealand ... e+regulations+in+NZ
2017-12-13
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

To go further you'll need a amplified directional (circular polarised) antenna set up something like a Titan Cyclone etc.
2017-12-13
Use props
KurtVD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 365299 ft
Switzerland

Re CE vs. FCC rules: in the US, the Spark can operate with a higher power output on the transmitter (FCC rules), hence the advertised range of 2km is only possible in countries that allow this. In Europe the max. power is lower, the range is only about 500m. You have to find out what standard NZ adheres to, it might be that you're under CE regulations and in that case, your range is fine as it is.
2017-12-13
Use props
Lyons90
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164528 ft
Australia

As far as I am aware, FCC nor CE are relevant standards in Aus and NZ. CASA (Aus) and CAA (NZ) don't specify a distance, only a height (120m). However, they both specify pilot must maintain physical visibility of the aircraft.

Since FCC and CE are the 2 biggest specs, they are the only 2 that DJI use. Given that, Aus and NZ are on FCC settings.
2017-12-13
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Rayan911 Posted at 2017-12-13 19:09
Hi Thanks for the advice. But I have seen some amazing areal photography which were taken from way more higher alttitude. So i though it might be ok to operate such heights as long as its safe.

The Spark is limited to 500 meters maximum altitude as a fixed setting, independent from signal quaility or transmission standard. And it has been explained to you by others already that you are not allowed to fly higher than 120 meters in your country. 100 - 120 meters is the limit in most countries because other aviation starts at 150 meters (their minimum altitude).
2017-12-14
Use props
djiuser_pVzOCZc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 120361 ft
Australia

Lyons90 Posted at 2017-12-13 22:12
As far as I am aware, FCC nor CE are relevant standards in Aus and NZ. CASA (Aus) and CAA (NZ) don't specify a distance, only a height (120m). However, they both specify pilot must maintain physical visibility of the aircraft.

Since FCC and CE are the 2 biggest specs, they are the only 2 that DJI use. Given that, Aus and NZ are on FCC settings.

Your comparing apples and oranges

FCC = Federal Communications Commission (US)
CE   = Conformité Européenne (European)

They both regulate the wireless spectrum

CASA = Civil Aviation Safety Authority
CAA   = Civil Aviation Authority

Both regulate civil aviation -- the US equivalent would be FAA ( Federal Aviation Administration)
2017-12-14
Use props
djiuser_pVzOCZc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 120361 ft
Australia

2017-12-14
Use props
Filip3rd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 39390 ft
Iran

Shouldn’t DJI allow their equipment to fly as high and as far as technically possible and letting the Drone user figure out them self about any country’s laws?
2017-12-14
Use props
Legacy0ne
lvl.2

Australia

Filip3rd Posted at 2017-12-14 08:18
Shouldn’t DJI allow their equipment to fly as high and as far as technically possible and letting the Drone user figure out them self about any country’s laws?

Technically speaking they already do.. . however, if they don't meet standards such as FCC / CE limits (as an example), then their product isn't allowed to be imported or sold in that country.

The 120m/400ft rule is pretty standard around the world. The more people that break the rules, the more the local regulators enforce tighter restrictions. Imagine if DJI was forced to impose an altitude limit because country regulations forced them too?? It could very well happen
2017-12-14
Use props
Rayan911
lvl.3
New Zealand

Gunship9 Posted at 2017-12-13 19:57
Best guess is you are getting interference of the RC's data bit link.  Loosing bits to something transmitting on your channel.  That will shorten your range quick.  Is your phone's bluetooth on?  Is your GoPro's wifi or bluetooth on?

There is a good chance you will see photos from higher because either they are using a different drone with a more robust link or they are flying in an area with less signal interference.   You really need to look at the spectrum display if you are having range problems.  I bet a lot of it is red with a slightly less noisy channel selected by the Spark.

Hey Gunship9, thats a lots of information new to me and yes my phone wifi is always on which needs to me switched off as I have an otg. Any way thanks for the whole bundle of new information and will keep updated.
2017-12-14
Use props
Rayan911
lvl.3
New Zealand

lannes Posted at 2017-12-13 20:58
+1 - 400m is slightly illegal, https://www.airshare.co.nz/rules

interesting article, especially the fact a guy in the UK was fined for loosing control of his drone

Hey, thanks for the fact about the operateble height. I think I should practice keeping the antenna as this video and tray ones. anyway thanks for sharing your knowledge.
2017-12-14
Use props
fans4a82d0e3
New
New Zealand

My Spark, RC, and batteries all have CE written on them.. is that the same CE we’re talking about?
2018-3-29
Use props
fans4a82d0e3
New
New Zealand

Does this mean it’s CE in NZ?
image.jpg
2018-3-29
Use props
Captain Salty
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15233940 ft
  • >>>

Yeah... maybe keep to under 120m (400ft) like you are required to by CAA regulations and you won't loose signal as much.
2018-7-4
Use props
BrilhasMuito
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3745554 ft
Brazil

Rayan,
500 m high is very vey very high. I dont know if its allowed to fly this high in New Zeland but most places the max altitude permitted is 120 meters. Higher than that you need a previous permission b/c you could be within aircrafts path. So please, find out about drone regulations in NZ before attempting such altitudes.

2018-7-4
Use props
BrilhasMuito
lvl.4
Brazil

Rayan911 Posted at 2017-12-13 17:40

I'd say if you fly lower you may fly further. You cant have both.
Try this silly looking antenna booster. Pretty cheap stuff but really works.

2018-7-4
Use props
Rayan911
lvl.3
New Zealand

BrilhasMuito Posted at 2018-7-4 22:22
Rayan,
500 m high is very vey very high. I dont know if its allowed to fly this high in New Zeland but most places the max altitude permitted is 120 meters. Higher than that you need a previous permission b/c you could be within aircrafts path. So please, find out about drone regulations in NZ before attempting such altitudes.

Hi, Yes I know it's not allowed in NZ.  but I post this as I had doubts about my drone range. It seems like my drone doesn't exceed 200m altitude.
2018-7-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rayan911 Posted at 2018-7-4 23:39
Hi, Yes I know it's not allowed in NZ.  but I post this as I had doubts about my drone range. It seems like my drone doesn't exceed 200m altitude.

That's good news. Puts people at less risk...
2018-7-5
Use props
BrilhasMuito
lvl.4
Brazil

Rayan911 Posted at 2018-7-4 23:39

You wont need to fly higher than 120 meters. This is serious stuff m8!

2018-7-5
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

could this be a regulation limitation imposed on the spark?  Not sure of what the logistics are and what DJI controls.  I know here in Canada the max height is 300ft and ligne of sight to a max of 500ft.  So for me i stay within those regulations
2018-7-5
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

fans4a82d0e3 Posted at 2018-3-29 12:16
Does this mean it’s CE in NZ?

That is what it means.  
2018-7-5
Use props
M6TT F
lvl.2
Flight distance : 38737 ft
United Kingdom

Even at 60m the spark is like a dot. Can’t imagine wanting to fly it 5x higher!
2018-7-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules