DJI Phantom 2 Carbon Fiber Props Problem
14642 24 2014-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dekelkabeli
lvl.2

Israel

Hey, my name is Dekel and i bought a self tightening carbon fiber props for my DJI Phantom 2 and when i put it on my quad and start flying, the phantom isn't stable when i move or coming down. and the stock props are more stable... why? i didn't balance them... thanks to every one that will reply to this
2014-9-18
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

No one seems to have much luck getting the CF props to fly as well as the stock props.
The flex built into the stock props is actually a positive thing.
Since the CF props hardly flex, they are prone to cause more harm than good.
Final word = CF props are just bling...
2014-9-18
Use props
SFOS900
lvl.1

United States

Hi there,

carbon fiber props are a little challenge.... you will have to balance them for sure !!! make sure that they are 100% balanced.
The other thing I have noticed is that sometimes the pitch (angle) is not the same so therefore you will get different lift.

All in all stay a way from them.

I am testing some three blade folding props.... now they are at this point useless, as they are all over the place. The PHV2 is not stable at all you can clearly see it but the lift is 100% better then the two bladed version......

Need more time to test the three blade props.

2014-9-18
Use props
reme
lvl.1
Flight distance : 562822 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm the type to jump on things that make a model better.  C/F props only look good, they do nothing better than the stock props to improve the models stability or duration.  In all the threads I frequent for all things Phantom 2 related, CF props have done more bad than good.
2014-9-18
Use props
tony
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2856060 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree totally. I got the self tightening CF props, from ebay. I bought the balancing rod as well. Thought I had everything balanced, and took her out for a flight. Everything seemed cool at first, although I did not notice an increase in performance. All of the sudden big oscillations, major prop wash, VRS, or at least the same characteristics. It plummeted towards the ground. Luckily I was expecting the worst and quickly regained control. Brought it inside and quickly swapped out the props for the stock ones. No more problems since. Stay away, in my opinion. Unless mine were just cheap props and their are better ones out there?
2014-9-18
Use props
Scott-Heliguy
lvl.1
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yep stick with the stock props
2014-9-19
Use props
lqqkup
lvl.1
United States

T J Gilbert Posted at 2014-9-19 01:15
No one seems to have much luck getting the CF props to fly as well as the stock props.
The flex buil ...

Couldnt agree with you more!!!
2014-9-25
Use props
Dragonrider
lvl.2

United States

I suspect the flex in the stock props allow for a more smooth flight.
2014-9-25
Use props
valenahlo
New

United States

i just tried my CP and bringing it back in from flying idk what happened but it just dropped out of the sky
2014-9-26
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2856060 ft
  • >>>
United States

valenahlo@gmail Posted at 2014-9-27 02:06
i just tried my CP and bringing it back in from flying idk what happened but it just dropped out of  ...

What is CP? Did you mean CF, as in Carbon Fiber props? Sounds like it could have been prop wash. Or unbalanced props. Sorry to hear f your trouble. Was the damage bad?
2014-9-26
Use props
nick
New

United Kingdom

I concur with most of what is written here - DON'T USE CARBON FIBRE PROPS! The Phantom 2 doesn't work seamlessly with Carbon Fibre blades. What seems to happen is with hard / quick manoeuvres, especially ones when descending, they seem to cause the Phantom to swing past an axis angle it likes and can drop several feet rapidly. If high enough and by letting go of the controls it stables itself. Be warned, if it has a wobble low it can crash land. I was lucky and it caught itself about 1ft before briefly touching a soft surface and up again. This is not a scientific conclusion, more of an educated guess, but it seems obvious that the plastic stock props act as a shock absorber in these situations and compensates for a hard or quick manoeuvres. I guess this could be sorted with a firmware upgrade; DJi... Let us know if you release this. Thanks.
2014-12-12
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

What do you use to balance them?  I see balancers on amazon but they're for wooden props, not phantom props.  
2015-1-19
Use props
drone.email
lvl.4

United States

I have a set of DJI carbon fiber reinforced 9443 props and they work well. I have set of 3rd party props that are junk. My DJI props needed to be balanced.
2015-1-19
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

My phantom crashed or should i rather say, just dropped (without me decending at all). Besides, they are really dangerous if they hit you while spinning.
2015-1-19
Use props
onthewave.me
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84833475 ft
  • >>>
United States

You cannot descend as fast with CF props. They cause much greater wake turbulence below the Phantom and as it descends into those mini twisters it can't handle the wash and starts to oscillate back and forth all the way to the ground. Always descend slow and when possible not STRAIGHT DOWN into it's own wake turbulence effect. The DJI props can cause the same thing but not nearly as violent as CF props. They do perform really well but like you all said it's not worth the LOOK COOL factor vs picking up the pieces after a crash.
2015-3-4
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Does DJI even recommend or support the Carbon Fibre Props?
I had thought I read somewhere they were not supported for the Phantom as they are too rigid...
2015-3-4
Use props
thomaspub
lvl.1

United States

I have had this same awful experience. It has fallen out of the sky twice. I am glad that I found this thread. I am now convinced that my problems were related to the Carbon Fiber Props. One of the other commenters, tory, said: "All of the sudden big oscillations, major prop wash, VRS, or at least the same characteristics. It plummeted towards the ground."  That seems to exactly describe my two crashes. Back to plastic. I will say that the Carbon Fiber props were much quieter. And they look cool. But you crash.
2015-3-17
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

thomaspub@me.co Posted at 2015-3-18 10:08
I have had this same awful experience. It has fallen out of the sky twice. I am glad that I found th ...

You could dye your plastic props or use the DJI CFR props.
2015-3-17
Use props
zherman
New

Canada

I have had the exact same symptoms with the CF props - but was kind of expecting it after reading the posts here.
I've been flying my P2 with a GoPro/gimbal/fpv for over a year with no issues with stock props (32 flight hours so far).
I decided to give CF props a try to see what all the fuss is about.
After about 5 minutes of flying in a light breeze I eased up in order to slow into a hover. Instead of hovering, it suddenly entered a violent side-to-side diagonal wobble that I could not recover from. I let go of the sticks and it still couldn't level itself and crash-landed from around 15m, but it wasn't going fast (props still spinning trying to steady itself). It ended upside down in tall grass - no damage at all.
So that was that for my experiment: 5 minutes to my first crash ever on CF props versus 32 problem free hours with the stock ones.
There must be a reason why DJI designed them to flex as much as they do. I have purposefully tried many times to induce a vortex ring state with the stock props at altitude without ever being able to, but it looks like the CF props can pull it off without even trying Interestingly, I can pull it off every time with my indoor Blade Nano QX and it behaves exactly as the P2 did before the crash. My 2c - stick to plastic (and note to self - P2 is not immune to settling with power so stop trying to destroy it)
2015-6-2
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

Be careful of the knock off props too. some of those 3rd party are junk.
2015-6-3
Use props
Faken
lvl.2

Canada

Oh great... just bought a set of CFs off eBay yesterday and THEN I see this thread... *sigh*
2015-6-3
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

zherman Posted at 2015-6-3 12:18
I have had the exact same symptoms with the CF props - but was kind of expecting it after reading th ...

This thread resurfaced after 3 months.  I am hoping someone, maybe DJI, has come out with a new carbon fiber prop.  Is there a new prop out?
2015-6-3
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

DJI Tuned Propulsion Props
2015-6-3
Use props
fightermaverick
lvl.1

United States

To be honest I've been using Maytech brand carbon fiber props with very little balancing on my own end on my Phantom 2 V3 for almost half a year now and have had no problems at all! I hand catch my drone everytime with the controller in my left hand and I'm not worried at all with those carbon props near me. What I have noticed is that my motors aren't nearly as hot after flights with the carbon props vs the stock ones. Just my experience!
2016-1-5
Use props
Aguila
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28514 ft
United States

DJI offers carbon fiber props, which I used in my first two flights of my P3P.  But after seeing this thread I think they may have been the reason why I had difficulties landing the bird.  Since they were damaged, tomorrow I'm switching to the standard props and will see what happens.  See http://store.dji.com/product/945 ... m=related_products.
2016-1-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules