Where can I legally fly?
872 6 2017-12-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DEADSHOT08
New

United States

[size=14.6667px]Hi Everyone,

[size=14.6667px]I'm going on a road trip from the East Coast to the West Coast and I'm eager to take some nice aerial shots along the way. I'll be hitting some of the big cities and have done a lot of research of where to fly and where not to fly. But I'm constantly seeing posts/regulations saying that you can and cannot fly in certain cities. I have the DJI Go4 App, Airspace, and B4UFLY, but they do not have state or local laws implemented. The cities listed below are the ones that I'll be stopping through. Can you tell me, especially if you're a local, whether it's legal to fly in that city and state, and if so, where are the best spots? Thanks!

• Knoxville, TN
  • Nashville, TN
  • Memphis, TN
  • Little Rock, AR
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Amarillo, TX
  • Albuquerque, NM
  • Flagstaff, AZ
  • Sedona, AZ
  • Prescott, AZ

2017-12-14
Use props
DocQuicksand
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1048652 ft
  • >>>
United States

On the DJI Go app, you can also use the "No Fly Zone" function. On the home screen for the aircraft that you are using, access the menu drop-down and you will see the function. I typically use the B4UFly app, so haven't done more than look at the DJI feature. Hope this helps...
2017-12-14
Use props
DocQuicksand
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1048652 ft
  • >>>
United States

Will say also, as a general rule of thumb, just make sure that you follow the FAA guidlines and you can't go wrong. Biggies are:

• Keep it below 400' (unless flying near a tower, then you have an additional 400')
  • No flying over people (unless permission is granted first, or if it is your visual observer)
  • No flying over sporting events, stadiums, etc.
  • Always give way to manned aircraft.
  • Always maintain direct line of sight with your drone, do not count on the onboard camera for navigating.
  • Pay attention to the Airspace Zones in which you are flying - Note that most Airspace is restricted, NOT off limits. You can actually fly in restricted airspace as long as it doesn't interfere with manned air traffic patterns, with ATC approval (just a phone call).
  • You can actually get Airspace Maps with data that is updated daily, sometimes twice daily in larger areas.

If you follow the first five rules mentioned above, and are using your drone for recreational purposes, you are mostly safe. I would recommend that you look in to FAA paart 107 for informational purposes, even if you do not wish to get a commercial license. I fly in San Antonio, Texas (fairly large city) and have never encountered a problem. There are other things that you may want to consider. If you plan to fly over and film a structure on Federal land (National Park structure - Alamo), it is a good idea to contact them as a courtesy (even in unrestricted air space) to let them know your intention. Gives them a warm and fuzzy to know that you didn't try to go behind their back which can surprise them and cause a situation that they feel they have to react to. Either that, or just play dumb when they come asking what you are doing.

Enoy your road trip, and happy flying!

DocQuicksand

2017-12-14
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Regardless of FAA regulation(s) which we all need to follow, it is best to call city hall or the police departments, of the cities you plan to fly, many cities have local ordinances against flying within city limits. Being forewarned is much better than paying a fine!
2017-12-14
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I use UAV FORECAST before each flight and when planning flights...
2017-12-14
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, thanks for the replies above, you can also visit the official website to check for the No Fly Zone, but there might also be some local regulations that DJI NFZ map doesn't cover, then hope there will be some people will help to provide some tips.
And hope you have a nice trip.
2017-12-14
Use props
DEADSHOT08
New

United States

Thanks for all of your replies. As much as I like using DJI's site, I typically only use that for unlocking zones. I use Airmap as it shows me NFZ for military installations, national parks, etc. I don't mind calling the police depts. or city halls, the only thing is that a lot of times, they don't know themselves and tell me to go look through the websites to find out. To my knowledge, I don't think there has been any states that have banned the usage of UAS, but cities on the other hand have different laws.
2017-12-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules