NTSB Report Drone Collision with Blackhawk in New York
817 3 2017-12-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BobD
lvl.3
Germany

The operator of a drone that
with a U.S. Army Black Hawk helicopter in September didn’t see the aircraft because he was flying the drone beyond visual range, the NTSB said on Thursday. The operator also lacked adequate knowledge of the regulations and safe operating practices for drone flying, the safety board
. The incident occurred in New York, at an altitude of about 300 feet. The helicopter crew landed safely. Parts of the drone were lodged in the helicopter’s engine-oil cooler fan, and a 1.5-inch dent was found on the leading edge of one of the four main rotor blades. The drone operator was flying for fun, the NTSB said, and was unaware of the TFR in place at the time. He did not hold an FAA remote pilot certificate. Also this week, the FAA’s rule requiring owners to register small drones was reinstated.

Another case that will result in more restrictions.

2017-12-16
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Yes unfortunately! Drone pilots have to be more careful.
2017-12-16
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, guys. I would recommend users read carefully about the FAA regulations and fly with caution.
2017-12-24
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

And the report is clearly also stating, that using the RTH function without need to get a drone home is not the best idea!
It is a failsafe feature, not a comforting one! In my eyes.
I would assume, even ~2 miles out, if the pilot would have 'watched' the drone, piloting it back 'with one eye on the display' and checking on the area where it is coming from,  'with the other eye' , he would have had a chance to see and react on a helicopter coming it's way! At least descending would have been an option.
Aside that he should have known, that he did fly in a temporary no fly zone. Best not to fly that time!
Just my2c
2017-12-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules