1012 14 2017-12-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SC0TT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 294006 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As I am continue to get a feel for the Mavic I want to fly a little further, out of my confort zone. I've previously owned a Phantom v1 and this was much easier to keep in view, with the Mavic being so small it's sometimes difficult to see.

So, if I loose sight and want to fly it back to myself is th ebest option to just follow the map over the top of the flight path?
2017-12-17
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

That is one way, or you can switch the map to Radar and point the drone to the home point and fly it back that way as well.
2017-12-17
Use props
Celsus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

I use the map and flight path usually. The RTH is also useful, just make sure your settings are set ok and do keep an eye on interference and high wind warnings. I would advise manual return in sport mode  in gusty conditions. Hope this helps.
2017-12-17
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

There is no "best way". Some will say that RTH is only for emergencies but I use it all the time.
2017-12-17
Use props
nenio
lvl.2
Italy

Home lock is the best way
2017-12-17
Use props
SC0TT
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

nenio Posted at 2017-12-17 13:57

Could you explain this please
2017-12-17
Use props
SC0TT
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

nenio Posted at 2017-12-17 13:57

Edit: found it, top tip
2017-12-17
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Best way, well make sure you do all the flight checks ...especially wind conditions (preferably calm to maybe 5 mph) and when you do take off 100% battery juice.  Pay attention to the radar scale (direction) head out have fun and return opposite direction home. Use RTH if need be. I hardly do because I've done exactly what I just told you to do.
2017-12-17
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-12-17 14:49
Best way, well make sure you do all the flight checks ...especially wind conditions (preferably calm to maybe 5 mph) and when you do take off 100% battery juice.  Pay attention to the radar scale (direction) head out have fun and return opposite direction home. Use RTH if need be. I hardly do because I've done exactly what I just told you to do.

Same here. Have used Mavic for few months and newer used RTH.
It has kicked in few times if I sit in the car or stand inside and use it from there.
Normally take it home in sport mode and prefer to land at least 25% battery.
2017-12-17
Use props
cristianc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008143 ft
Australia

I always fly it manually and the only time RTH was involved is when I actually experience a disconnect in Namibia Sand dunes. weird I know but it came back and regained control
2017-12-17
Use props
ghost_ATX
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1277703 ft
United States

I used RTH alot in the beginning but as I got better/more comfortable flying I stopped using it. If I lose sight and want to fly back I use the map. The only exception is when I've got the bird at a really high altitude and I want to bring it down without laying on the stick (thumb cramps - ha), I'll be lazy and use RTH to get it closer to me before flying it manually again. Yes, lazy, I know.
2017-12-17
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly back manually. Very rarely use Rth
2017-12-17
Use props
nottuppaware
Second Officer
Flight distance : 70745 ft
Australia

If I lose sight of the drone I point it back towards me and turn on home lock.
2017-12-17
Use props
Iamz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 487480 ft
Thailand

I manually follow the green line back, which is the direct path between the home point and the drone.
2017-12-17
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hey, I think the answers above make senses. For me, I would like to fly back manually coz I can still fly where I want it to on the way back. RTH is a great option if you don't want to control the drone to fly back. But please kindly note that it will not work when there is no or weak GPS signal.
If you need to manually control it back, the radar will be useful, and for the Home lock feature, you can refer to the tutorials below, hope it provides you with some tips.

2017-12-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules