Help needed- Place where can I fly without prohibition
2037 13 2017-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans76891441
New
United States

Hi everyone

I just bought a DJI spark and was very enthusiastic about using it. Now I am reading that it is probihited to fly almost everywhere I can think of. State parks, National parks, beach areas, near my community as houses and people are there.
Any suggestions where can I head to practise flying my drone. Should I return it if there is noway I can fly it anywhere.
2017-12-18
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Town parks.  Wooded areas with fields nearby.  Walking and biking trails.  Public soccer fields when unused by players.  Baseball fields.  

You are looking for open grassy places that are not heavily used so you don't bother people, or that are not valued for their nature views.  People at the beach want to enjoy the beach, not be hassled by the noise of drones so they are banned.  Keep the drone by you instead of flying it a block over to threaten strangers with the whirling kitchen knives the Spark uses (or whatever reason you wouldin't want a spark flying over your mom, wife, or kids).

I flew 20 to 15 feet up to get some video of me riding my bike on a biking trail by the city's river.  I kept it near me and didn't bother anyone with it.  No problems.  Just around the next corner on the biking trail was a city skeet range.  The range shot out over the city.  They were destroying clay pigeons with their shotguns.  They would have loved to see my spark try to do a pass getting video.
2017-12-18
Use props
fans76891441
New
United States

I have one more question. Do I have to get my drone registered with FAA.
And Is there a source where I can check whether a particular location allows or prohibits the usage of drone camera.

Thanks
2017-12-18
Use props
lsufan861
lvl.2
United States

fans76891441 Posted at 2017-12-18 09:33
I have one more question. Do I have to get my drone registered with FAA.
And Is there a source where I can check whether a particular location allows or prohibits the usage of drone camera.

Use the DJI flaysafe site and look for restricted areas.  I live near a small airport and fly with no issues, now that I have a 3 month unlock to fly in my area.  Good luck.
2017-12-18
Use props
Sidd Finch
Second Officer
Flight distance : 256 ft
United States

When I want to fly I do my research on google maps to scout out potential locations. Then I look up the location to see if they have any rules regarding drones. Also check with city and county websites to see if there are any additional restrictions.

If you live in the USA the President just signed a bill that will reinstate the required registry of drones weighing between 0.55 pounds and 55 pounds into law.

https://registermyuas.faa.gov/

The full list of rules and regs here:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/

Sidd

Sidd
2017-12-18
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Do you have to register each drone you have...or just get a single registration number?
2017-12-18
Use props
fans76891441
New
United States

I read that we need just one registration and then the number which is provided should be written on the drone.

Thanks for the information. Having the first flight was awesome. But I still fear that what if I happen to fly in the area (of which I am not informed of) which does not allow drones.  
Anyone who can tell me their experiences?  I know this looks stupid but fear is just undermining the excitement I have to control the Spark.
2017-12-18
Use props
Burdman44
lvl.2
Flight distance : 188773 ft
United States

fans76891441 Posted at 2017-12-18 13:09
I read that we need just one registration and then the number which is provided should be written on the drone.

Thanks for the information. Having the first flight was awesome. But I still fear that what if I happen to fly in the area (of which I am not informed of) which does not allow drones.  

Only two run-ins with the law so far for me. First time I was on the edge of national park, but not in it. A ranger stopped by to inform me that flying drones in national parks was illegal, and if he saw it over "his park", he'd return to write me a citation. Never flew it over the park, ranger did not return.

Second time I was in a state park that was recommended by my neighbor (veteran drone racer; prior to me becoming aware state parks = national parks drone-wise). Ranger stopped by and was just genuinely interested in the Spark. Asked about range, cost, cam specs, etc, wished me happy holidays and left (with drone still flying - ran down two more batteries before I left - no problems).

That said, I'd recommend staying out of the parks as opposed to counting on "kewl"/nice rangers. I got lucky, but drones are expensive enough...we dam sure don't need any additional fines/costs added to it, lol.

Happy Flying!
2017-12-18
Use props
fans76891441
New
United States

Thank you for your reply Burdman. The instances were really useful.

Can we fly in the area around the apartment. I saw on the DJI map and the area is not marked as the no fly zone or something. But still can there be consequences.
2017-12-18
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

fans76891441 Posted at 2017-12-18 15:42

Can we fly in the area around the apartment. I saw on the DJI map and the area is not marked as the no fly zone or something. But still can there be consequences.

Keep it by you and don't fly over people or their property, you should be fine.  It is helpful that the spark looks like an Air Hogs toy a kid would play with.   

You are running the risk that nearby metal objects and buildings will mess up the compass or block GPS signals and drop you into ATTI mode.  ATTI is bad for new fliers so a ball field or other open space is better than the apartment property.  Especially as you are just learning to fly it.  

Newbies need more room to maneuver until their pilot skills sharpen up.
2017-12-18
Use props
tvon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43373 ft
United States

lsufan861 Posted at 2017-12-18 10:56
Use the DJI flaysafe site and look for restricted areas.  I live near a small airport and fly with no issues, now that I have a 3 month unlock to fly in my area.  Good luck.

How'd you get the unlock?  Or did you just call the tower?
2017-12-18
Use props
lsufan861
lvl.2
United States

tvon Posted at 2017-12-18 19:09
How'd you get the unlock?  Or did you just call the tower?

https://www.dji.com/mobile/flysafe
You should call the tower before flying.
2017-12-18
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

fans76891441 Posted at 2017-12-18 15:42

Can we fly in the area around the apartment. I saw on the DJI map and the area is not marked as the no fly zone or something. But still can there be consequences.

Hi, sir. I would recommend you enter our website and read the relevant info about NFZ and the regulation in your country: http://www.dji.com/flysafe?site=brandsite&from=footer. Besides, I would not recommend you fly among high buildings. Please find a wide place without interference. Here is the recommended flight environment.
flight environment.PNG
2017-12-18
Use props
Kat See Loey Do
lvl.1

United States

I live in New York where Airplanes is our State Bird! (judging by the amount of airports and airstrips! argh!
Here I mentioned 2 Great Mobile Apps that can help you

2017-12-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules