Landing on Critical Battery Level
1941 11 2015-4-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rfrye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 309606 ft
United States

I'm sure this has been covered someplace, but I can't find the thread easily.

1) Is the aircraft going to immediately land (regardless of where it's at) after the battery hits "critical-setting-percentage"?

2) Will the aircraft automatically RTH if it gets out a great distance and starts to loose a signal from the remote controller?

(has anybody tested the above?)

Thanks for your responses in advance.
2015-4-17
Use props
philbard
lvl.2
United States

According to the Inspire manual, the craft will sound the critical battery alert by flashing red indicators and the app will also do so, the bird will begin to descend and land automatically at its current location. This is presumably  because there isn't enough charge to get you home, or that is the assumption.

I haven't tested the loss of RC with the Inspire, but I have twice lost it flying my Phantom Vision 2+, both times it immediately returned to home with rather amazing accuracy. Haven't had the confidence with the recent loss of GPS problems with the Inspire, but maybe now that the firmware is out...
2015-4-17
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
United States

philbard Posted at 2015-4-18 01:32
According to the Inspire manual, the craft will sound the critical battery alert by flashing red ind ...

Thank You Phil.

2015-4-17
Use props
Sky High Aerial
lvl.3

Canada

I typically run my battery down to 8%.
I get my first warning at 30%, fly around until about 15%  and bring the bird in close.
At 10% I get the critical warning saying that the bird will land in 10 secs.
It descends but I can still fly the bird but it takes full throttle to get any altitude.  This is governed.  8% is the most I have ever run down my battery, but I do it every time, for every battery and always charge to 100%.
2015-4-17
Use props
Mistician
New

United States

Hey rfrye, a user on Youtube (Chopt Livah) uploaded a video of his Inspire losing signal and automatically engaging the RTH function. It worked flawlessly for him. Here's the link to the vid -
2015-4-17
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
United States

Mistician Posted at 2015-4-18 03:29
Hey rfrye, a user on Youtube (Chopt Livah) uploaded a video of his Inspire losing signal and automat ...

Thanks Mistician.

Do you think the guy in this video was out far enough to loose his signal on a "distance-limit".

I'm concerned about getting out to a mile+ (with spotters down range) and actually have it come home when the signal can't go beyond what DJI says the limit is. I believe they say 1.2 miles for signal range.

Thanks again.
2015-4-17
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
United States

Sky High Aerial Posted at 2015-4-18 03:02
I typically run my battery down to 8%.
I get my first warning at 30%, fly around until about 15%  an ...

Sounds like a good procedure to me, Sky. I may adopt your methods.
2015-4-17
Use props
Mistician
New

United States

It shouldn't be a problem, the unit has internal GPS so it will know the home point whether it's 20 feet or a mile away when you lose connection with it. Just make sure you have enough battery for the return trip and that your RTH functions are all correctly setup and engaged in the control panel. You could always have a car on standby since you're using spotters, if the Inspire happens to freeze and hover or start drifting away (instead of returning to the home point) just quickly drive towards it until you can reconnect and manually fly it back.
2015-4-17
Use props
Mistician
New

United States

It didn't look like the guy in the video was that far away but we're only able to speculate based on the drone's perspective without seeing a flight log or knowing what possible environmental factors could have affected the connection.
For instance, there could have been radio towers interfering with the signal, or perhaps his pilot app crashed while flying.
2015-4-17
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
United States

Mistician Posted at 2015-4-18 04:27
It shouldn't be a problem, the unit has internal GPS so it will know the home point whether it's 20  ...

All good suggestions Mistician.
Thanks
2015-4-17
Use props
Mistician
New

United States

rfrye Posted at 2015-4-18 04:38
All good suggestions Mistician.
Thanks

No problem, definitely come back and let us all know how the RTH worked when you try it out!
2015-4-17
Use props
pavel.kachanov.
lvl.2

Indonesia

rfrye Posted at 2015-4-18 04:02
Thanks Mistician.

Do you think the guy in this video was out far enough to loose his signal on a  ...

Check this video - (has english subs)
The guy went 4.7km away and then the RTH was triggered after signal loss (almost crashed into the island on the way home BTW)
2015-4-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules