Gimbal tilt very choppy on playback (includes example)
1272 8 2017-12-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans3e78828c
lvl.1
United States

Hi folks,

There is this move that I love in aerial video...  It starts with the camera pointed straight down, tracking over landscape, and then tilts up to reveal the subject and horizon. When I do this move with the Phantom 4 Pro, I get very choppy footage.

- movement in question begins at 34 seconds -

- movement in question begins at 34 seconds -

This was shot with the following settings:

1920 x 1080
30 fps
1/60th second shutter speed
(ND filter & aperture setting used to achieve 1/60th shutter speed)
Shot in D-Cinelike style as opposed to D-Log
Sandisk Extreme PLus 128 GB micro SD card
Was not flying at full speed
Gimball tilt speed set to 10 (out of 100)

So this is pretty frustrating because like...  what else can I do differently here?

Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong?
And, does anyone know if there's a way to FIX the crappy footage I got?

Or is this just a move that phantoms should not bother to attempt?
I really hope that's not the case.
This thing should be able to film the movements that it can fly, within reason...
If not, DJI shouldn't advertise it as anything other than a toy, and should at least take the word "PRO" off of the name...

2017-12-23
Use props
fans3e78828c
lvl.1
United States

Ok sorry... I may have been wrong here.  I went back and played the original video clip and it does tilt smooth.  I don't know why it would be exported choppy though. I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017 and definitely know what I'm doing with that program. I am missing something clearly...
2017-12-23
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Great Video anyway !!
2017-12-23
Use props
fans3e78828c
lvl.1
United States

Sorry, I took down the old video before realizing it would break this link.

I managed to create a sort of a solution, by selecting the clips with the choppiness and changing the time interpolation to "optical flow"

Best I can understand it, at some point either during filming or during import or otherwise, it appears to be dropping frames. Using a frame blending feature like optical flow is treating the 29.97 fps video as if it's a lower FPS and blending the missing frames together.  The only question remains, when and why are frames being dropped in the first place...

2017-12-23
Use props
fans3e78828c
lvl.1
United States

Thanks I'm glad you like it
2017-12-23
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

fans3e78828c Posted at 2017-12-23 10:51

I managed to create a sort of a solution, by selecting the clips with the choppiness and changing the time interpolation to "optical flow"

this is new ! let me check
2017-12-23
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

oh yes bettter now !!! Love it
2017-12-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fans3e78828c Posted at 2017-12-23 10:51

'The only question remains, when and why are frames being dropped in the first place...'

I watched your edited clip and did not see any 'choppiness' on tilts, I did see it on the pans inside the house. But any camera professional knows to be delicate with pans anyway, as they can be a problem with any camera that records in MPEG. But to answer your question, if there are dropped frames, they are not recorded in the camera, as a camera that records in MPEG cannot drop frames.
2017-12-23
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, I do not find any obvious issue from your video. Please kindly offer the original videos in SD card for better assistance, thanks!
2017-12-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules