New Mavic Pro Alpine - first day
833 6 2017-12-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TomHTx
lvl.3
Flight distance : 35059 ft
United States

I have been reading everything I could on here for weeks.  Thanks to all for the useful and helpful information.
I picked up my Alpine Combo from the Apple Store today.
Here are my initial thoughts:
Wow.  Just an amazing device.
I used an ipad pro 9.7 as my device, with an apple cable as the connector. I need to buy the proper adapter clamp.
I got it registered no problem.
I did not have to do any firmware updates, but DID have to take "the quiz".  Since I hold a 107, the questions were not bad.  We will see if it reappears.
It "suggested" that I update the safe fly map, but I punted on that for now.
I did 6 short flights, of 5-10 minutes each, in two groups of 3 each, with the very first being in beginner mode.
I live on 7 acres, with lots of room, so after that I just experimented with maneuvering.
No disconnects, or other issues.
However, it was kind of alarming how quickly the Mavic became hard to see against a tree line several hundred yards away.  It is hard to gauge distance from small bare tree branches.
At one point I apparently did trigger an obstruction alert, which was good to know how that works.
RTH and auto-takeoff both worked fine.
Camera quality was surprisingly good - I did remember to touch autofocus.
If I can just keep from crashing it as I learn how to use it I do believe that I really will enjoy it.
There really is an amazing amount of information available on the RC and the ipad screens.
So.  very pleased so far.
I do need to figure out how to go back in and buy the Care refresh within 48 hours.
Thanks again to all
Tom

2017-12-23
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Also, do a search on YouTube for Mavic tutorials.  There are tons out there with sooooooo much good stuff that you won't find elsewhere.  I'm "following" about a dozen of the Mavic experts out there.  My favorite is "Tom's Tech Time".  Check it out.  You'll find lots of stuff to improve your flying and your videos.  No need to thank me.  Just send chocolate.  ;)
2017-12-23
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Tom, welcome to join the Mavic Group. Generally, the quiz will not pop up as long as all questions have been answered correctly, no worries.
Regarding the obstruction avoidance, please refer Page 24 of the user manual for better understanding: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... 20Manual%20V2.0.pdf

As for the DJI Care Refresh, you can purchase from here:
https://store.dji.com/product/dj ... om=search-result-v2

2017-12-23
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

keep it in LOS and above ANY structures. I measn any structures and you should be fine. Welcome to the club.
2017-12-23
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Welcome and fly safe
2017-12-24
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Welcome, as DB said keep it high and legal.  Also post some pics of that snowbird in the air.
2017-12-24
Use props
MavicMule
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6329 ft
United States

Congratulations & welcome!  I recommend a skin or add some contrast to the body color so that it can be seen at a distance.  
2017-12-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules