New Guy, New P4P - Gimble Down (“Gimbal Motor Overload”)
1739 10 2017-12-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans0d052dd5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 312844 ft
United States

Hello All, New to drone life. Bought P4P ~5 days ago.

Fought the urge to just whip it out of the box and start flying. Read the manual, charged my three batteries, updated the firmware on AC & RC before maiden flight. Stayed in beginners mode for first flights, all golden…

Unfortunately things have taken a turn for the worse. First noticed the camera going up and down continuously when starting AC, everything else good. Next buzzing from gimble. If I slightly touched it would stop. Still flew normal and good videos. Now gimble slightly aim to the right and seems to have no control on the horizontal. Rotating the AC the gimble just sways back and forth. Getting “Gimbal Motor Overload” error. Looking at AC status on the app, gimble goes normal to overload continuously.

Have –

Refreshed FW, successfully

Calibrated gimble multiple times, successfully

Calibrated IMU multiple times, successfully

And no crashes, hard landing or leaving the gimble protector on ;-) I’ve babied it, like major OCD… I’m dreading the send it in thing after five days.

Any Christmas Miracles out there??

2017-12-25
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

I would without hesitating send it back for exchange, no need to fight a DOA craft.
2017-12-25
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Try one more thing before sending it back. Take battery off, put the AC in the freezer for 1/2 hour. Before you take it out of the freezer, get your remote and app ready, plug the battery do an IMU ON A 100% LEVEL surface .away from metal, keys etc. then re-do the AUTO gimbal calib. If it doesn't work then send send it back for refund and get another one. don't send it for repair or exchange it. Good luck dude!
2017-12-25
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Be sure to remove all protective packaging from the Gimbal and Camera. The camera will go up down and around upon startup. This is normal.
2017-12-25
Use props
Nick Gee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174 ft

United Kingdom

dronist Posted at 2017-12-25 16:34
Try one more thing before sending it back. Take battery off, put the AC in the freezer for 1/2 hour. Before you take it out of the freezer, get your remote and app ready, plug the battery do an IMU ON A 100% LEVEL surface .away from metal, keys etc. then re-do the AUTO gimbal calib. If it doesn't work then send send it back for refund and get another one. don't send it for repair or exchange it. Good luck dude!

I would not do what this guy is recommending!!
The drone is new, why the heck would he want to put something in a freezer?

Just sent it back, let DJI sort it. If you put it in the freezer and that isn't the issue, you're ****ed for the warranty if it all goes tits up.
2017-12-25
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

It may depend on the firmware version you have. Quite a lot of us have been using a beta firmware for some time now to fix the grinding gimbal issue.
What firmware version are you on as a new version has just been released and may fix your issue.
2017-12-25
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
United States

All suggestions here are OK, and you've already tried to refresh the firmware - that would have been my suggestion. Generally when you get that error, something has caught the camera and it's straining to move OK . Examples are if you've failed to remove the grey packing foam support, you start it up on grass and the grass is restricting start-up movement, or if the ribbon cable is catching the movement on the extremes (this affected earlier builds).

But I'm with Nick. if it's brand new, and the dealer is close, take it back NOW. You can claim it on DOA. The longer you muck around with it the less likely that'll float.
2017-12-25
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, has the drone been involved in crash or hard landing before? I'd suggest to send it in for fully diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support
2017-12-26
Use props
Malolojoe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 312844 ft
United States

Hey All, Thanks for all the suggestions. Quick update.

Went to the DJI support site and started setting up an online ticket. Clicked “replace” and pop-up said to call support. Spoke to rep, was helpful BUT, I wasn’t thrilled about my options.

Send it in and the techs would diagnosis it, either fix or replace it. If I used my Refresh program the replacement would cost me $99.00 and would take about 14 days.  I dumped $2k in to it 6 days ago flew ~3 hours and now spend more to go without for two weeks. Not liking it. Again, this thing was babied. No crashes, hard landings, nothing!!! Rep said try to take it back to Best Buy.

So, went to Best Buy and without any questions they swapped it for another one!!  Great job Best Buy!!  Not so good DJI…

Next challenge, swapping over the Refresh to the new P4P?

Thanks again for the advice.
2017-12-26
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nick Gee Posted at 2017-12-25 22:00
I would not do what this guy is recommending!!
The drone is new, why the heck would he want to put something in a freezer?

Dude, go get some reading on the issue before you start with your

Cold temperature is the best way to get a PERFECT IMU and NO it will not affect your warranty.
You leave it outside in the cold temperature or if you don't have cold weather then you put it in the freezer.

Similar to when hard drive fail, you stick it in the freezer and then take out and get your data.

and if it fails then he can return it as I suggested.
2017-12-26
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7454275 ft
  • >>>
Australia

dronist Posted at 2017-12-25 16:34
Try one more thing before sending it back. Take battery off, put the AC in the freezer for 1/2 hour. Before you take it out of the freezer, get your remote and app ready, plug the battery do an IMU ON A 100% LEVEL surface .away from metal, keys etc. then re-do the AUTO gimbal calib. If it doesn't work then send send it back for refund and get another one. don't send it for repair or exchange it. Good luck dude!

Best idea ever... if you want to void your warranty and induce condensation build up on all the electrical components.
2017-12-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules