Laptop for 4k video editing
14338 38 2017-12-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
krihamm
lvl.2
Sweden

Hello,
After purchasing my Mavic Pro Platinum, I came to the harsh realization that my current laptop is way outdated for 4k video editing. So I am now on the lookout for a new laptop that will let me edit my 4k videos smoothly, preferably without having to use proxies.

After doing some (a lot) of searching on the web, watching tutorials and reading reviews about 4k video editing laptops, two laptops seem to always come up: the MacBook Pro 15 and the Dell XPS 15.

Comparing the specs of those two laptops shows that the Dell XPS has better performance than the MacBook Pro, and also comes at a lower price. However, I have read numerous posts on different forums about Adobe Premiere Pro lagging and crashing on the Dell XPS. A common thesis seem to be that it is due to its 4k monitor messing around. No idea if that is true or not, but regardless there definately seems to be a problem editing 4k videos in Adobe Premier Pro on the Dell XPS.

I also did some browsing of laptops on my own and found that the Asus ROG series gaming laptops seem to be good enough laptops (performance wise) for 4k video editing, and at a lower price than the MacBook Pro 15. This laptop never showed up on any of the 4k editing laptop reviews I have read though.

I am stuck. My knowledge of computers is basic and I have no idea which one to choose. I have a budget of about 2500 euros, although I could stretch it a bit if it is required. But preferably not.

Has anyone any experience with any of the laptops mentioned above? Or any tips on other laptops?

Any help would be much appreciated!

/krihamm
2017-12-25
Use props
Wirezfree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17999 ft
United Kingdom

You can get away with just a good CPU(i7) and lots of memory 16GB+
But if you want things to run quickly, and have a compatible Video card, it really helps.
Certain video editors can use the graphics card to speed up rendering.
You need to look at the editors,
for example Adobe PP will use the CUDA cores on NVidia based graphics devices
2017-12-25
Use props
ShortRouter
lvl.2
Germany

I am a professional video editor and the Asus GL502VS is what I use at home for 4K editing and also gaming. I DO NOT recommend you getting Macbook Pro or Dell XPS 15 as you will get lower processor performance out of them. They do overheat and get very loud under load. Make sure whatever you go for has a 4 CORE i7 CPU and at least 16 GB of RAM which is important for 4K stuff. Performance wise this thing will give you the best bang for the buck, I have zero complaints so far. (15 inch IPS display, high performance both cpu and graphics card, fast nvme ssd drive, good backlit keyboard, solid construction, lots of IO for connectivity,...)
2017-12-25
Use props
ShortRouter
lvl.2
Germany

ShortRouter Posted at 2017-12-25 17:45
I am a professional video editor and the Asus GL502VS is what I use at home for 4K editing and also gaming. I DO NOT recommend you getting Macbook Pro or Dell XPS 15 as you will get lower processor performance out of them. They do overheat and get very loud under load. Make sure whatever you go for has a 4 CORE i7 CPU and at least 16 GB of RAM which is important for 4K stuff. Performance wise this thing will give you the best bang for the buck, I have zero complaints so far. (15 inch IPS display, high performance both cpu and graphics card, fast nvme ssd drive, good backlit keyboard, solid construction, lots of IO for connectivity,...)

Edit: I work with Adobe CC stuff (Premiere Pro, After Effects, Media Encoder, Speedgrade, Lightroom)
But it also runs Avid Media Composer smoothly.
2017-12-25
Use props
nnote
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1358048 ft
United States

I wouldn't get stuck on a laptop. Much higher cost, and many times if one component fails, your out of luck. A desktop is much cheaper and you can replace/update parts as needed.
Im in the same boat. I dont have anything capable of editing video. Been looking at desktops but hard to pull the trigger on a 1400 dollar (US) device just to mess with video. I love games, but really dont have the time to dedicate to gaming.
2017-12-25
Use props
krihamm
lvl.2
Sweden

Thank you very much for your reply! The Asus GL502VS is now definately a contender.
2017-12-26
Use props
krihamm
lvl.2
Sweden

nnote Posted at 2017-12-25 18:48
I wouldn't get stuck on a laptop. Much higher cost, and many times if one component fails, your out of luck. A desktop is much cheaper and you can replace/update parts as needed.
Im in the same boat. I dont have anything capable of editing video. Been looking at desktops but hard to pull the trigger on a 1400 dollar (US) device just to mess with video. I love games, but really dont have the time to dedicate to gaming.

I need the flexibility of a laptop. Otherwise I would definately go with a desktop one.
2017-12-26
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

This is what I use, awesome performance for the price point, processes 4K easily, Ibuypower BB930 Gaming Desk Top combines with this HP 32" 2.7K Monitor  all for <$1500 USD available at Best Buy.
2017-12-26
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

I running the entire Adobe Suite on my  Dell XPS 15 i7 w/32 gig ram, can't remember my video card specs, but I only use this laptop for the mobility factor.  I running my Asus at home.
2017-12-26
Use props
ShortRouter
lvl.2
Germany

nnote Posted at 2017-12-25 18:48
I wouldn't get stuck on a laptop. Much higher cost, and many times if one component fails, your out of luck. A desktop is much cheaper and you can replace/update parts as needed.
Im in the same boat. I dont have anything capable of editing video. Been looking at desktops but hard to pull the trigger on a 1400 dollar (US) device just to mess with video. I love games, but really dont have the time to dedicate to gaming.

Valid point, however some people need a portable machine which they can carry around e.g. to edit videos on the go.
2017-12-26
Use props
ShortRouter
lvl.2
Germany

QuadKid Posted at 2017-12-26 03:16
This is what I use, awesome performance for the price point, processes 4K easily, Ibuypower BB930 Gaming Desk Top combines with this HP 32" 2.7K Monitor  all for

But he was 1) askng for a laptop and 2) Bestbuy is pretty much the worst place to buy a pc unless you are into overpriced garbage.
2017-12-26
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

ShortRouter Posted at 2017-12-26 07:25
But he was 1) askng for a laptop and 2) Bestbuy is pretty much the worst place to buy a pc unless you are into overpriced garbage.

Well I've had mine for over a year with absolutely no problems
2017-12-26
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just recently purchased the 2017 15" MB Pro:

512GB Storage
2.9GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor.

Running FCPX and completely love how it runs and processes my work.  Not a gamer so don't it for that.

Previously owned a desktop Mac for 7 years and the machine ran flawlessly. Before that had two Windows PC, both for approximately 1.5 years each and threw them straight out the window.
2017-12-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I just got myself a nice DELL Inspiron 15 7577 .
Not configured yet, but as soon as I have, I will tell you how it works with 4K.

2017-12-27
Use props
krihamm
lvl.2
Sweden

Thanks for all replies!

I am considering an Asus ROG GL702VS. Opinions on that one?

/krihamm
2017-12-27
Use props
CCScott
lvl.2
Flight distance : 288366 ft
United States

I bought a HP Omen laptop that works great. It's a i7 CPU with a 1050i video card. Works great.
2017-12-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MacBook Pro with Final Cut Pro X
2017-12-28
Use props
wendellhill
New

Montenegro

Well, its all about choice why don't you make PC? which will work 100 times better than laptops. The external graphics card is more powerful than the internal, and there are many other reasons. I am using ASUS K501UW which perfectly working but not like PC. anyhow you can also check on ReviewsDir there are many other laptops available.
2018-1-29
Use props
Vincent.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459738 ft
United States

I got the Dell XPS 15 9560, with i7, 16Gb and 4k, and it's a real pleasure. I took this one because it is really small, and when working on small tasks the battery is really good. I get around 6 hours and more. And for Premiere I had no problem so far, with a cracked version so more possibilities of crash. But of course it gets really loud when rendering and creating previews.

I think you have to choose between the portability of a MacBook Pro / XPS 15 or get something cheaper with the same specs but more thick.
2018-1-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

krihamm Posted at 2017-12-26 02:39
Thank you very much for your reply! The Asus GL502VS is now definately a contender.

I have a Dell Inspiron15-7577 but I would prefer my previous Asus.
So I back ShortRouter on that.
The only reason I went for this one is that I had to choose a Dell...
2018-1-29
Use props
fans9553217f
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Spain

The best advice given by others is a desktop with a 4k monitor.  I7 processor and at least 16gb of memory. However, My main computer use requires a laptop with great battery life, so 4k editing is incidental.
I use a Dell XPS 13 with Adobe Premier elements 2018.
First the screen.
To see 4K at its best, you need a monitor/screen/TV that will display that resolution.
However, you don't need that resolution for editing. Whatever screen resolution you have will rescale appropriately, so you can see the image. Also, the editing window is smaller than the screen, so the image will rescale anyway to fit it and if it is a 4K resolution, that image in the window will be a lower resolution, for that reason.
For editing, it is more important to have the screen calibrated so the colour you see on the screen is accurate. Don't forget, some other screen or TV may show different tones anyway, but at least you will have got your video to the right standard of colour tone. By this I mean that on screen A, the reds and blues might look great, but greens are poor. Screen B might be perfect with all tones.
As you know, 4K is a resolution. However, there are many other factors that come into play. Bitrate is an important one, because (put simply) a low bitrate will give a small file size and poor video quality, even though it is still 4K. A high bitrate means very large and superb video quality. It is easily possible to have HD or 1080P looking far sharper and vibrant and with a smaller file size than a unwise choice of bitrate at 4K.
The computer.
Assuming an I7 processor with 16GB memory or faster, you also need a fast hard disk, built in. I expect any good brand computer that is new will have a drive that is quite adequate. What you must avoid like the plague, is an external drive or usb device. The drive has to be able to supply 4K data at high enough speed so you don't get a jerky or stuttering data flow. You can store the video on an external USB device, but it is unlikely it will play well. The bottleneck is the circuitry between the hard drive itself and the bus inside the computer. Adobe Premier is not happy about taking the video file from the drone chip. Best to pop it into a file on drive C to edit from. You can always move it when finished.
I have found that VLC is less suitable for playback of 4K with a quality bitrate than the thing Win10 has currently. You might find different results, but the clue is a jerky output. The data is just not being processed fast enough. When I first discovered this issue, I suspected the drone was faulty. It was fine though, just the video playback software.
A tip. During editing, you might have this stuttering, to a slight degree. It probably isn't an issue, but if you render the edit first, it should run perfectly. The downside is the waste of time rendering, because you still have to process the edit when you finalise the project. I just accept the stutter during editing, because it will be fine on completion.
Editing.
You have cut and shut the clips and added sound etc. The choice of parameters you use when you process this video into the final article can be the thing that makes you want to cry. It took me some experimenting to get the results I was looking for. Each editor (person) will have their own preferences, and there is nothing wrong with that. I tend to keep the same parameters as the original from the drone. There is a tickbox that deals with that and most of your issues will vanish. It requires a user profile, but once created, it can be used ever after.
I have used Adobe Premier, the pro job, but frankly, it does not make life easy. Fine if you want all the bells and whistles, but for most people, the result is adequately achieved with the lesser software.
2018-1-29
Use props
nottuppaware
Second Officer
Flight distance : 70745 ft
Australia

I have an i5 MacBook Pro 13" and it works fine.
So depends on what OS is your preferred choice, I prefer OSX so naturally went for the MBP
2018-1-29
Use props
BeastMaster_101
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1082992 ft
Canada

Any thing with a decent GPU and lots of memory would be good. https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspi ... -75RM/dp/B01N12YZ7B has a 1050TI, i7, 16gb of memory for not that much money but it has a gamery aesthetic if thats ok with you
2018-1-29
Use props
Brian88
lvl.3
Flight distance : 385942 ft
United States

Everyone has their preference. For me, I prefer to use Apple products. That said, the MacBook Pro is pretty outdated when it comes to specs. Also, the touch bar is fluff, and completely worthless IMO. But, it will process 4k footage no problem.
2018-1-29
Use props
ParkPrince
lvl.1

China

How about picking up one model from Amazon Best Sellers laptops? I've been looking for a laptop because my old Dell is working very slowly and could cater to my needs.
2018-2-9
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

I recently purchased the HP Spectre 360 13 4K, after selling my MacBook Pro that did s poor job with 4K editing. In my experience so far this little device blows my MacBook out the door and it does not have dedicated graphics. The MacBook had 2 dedicated graphics cards and the Spectre out performs it in every aspect. I have played back and editeded 4K in it with no video stuttering. Best laptop convertible I have had.
2018-2-9
Use props
escore
Second Officer
Flight distance : 775568 ft
  • >>>
Finland

I have an Asus UX550, it's running premiere pro quite easily. If I were buiyng a laptop for that use, I would choose probably an Dell Precision, as they are optimized for adobe products.
2018-2-9
Use props
VLOGNOSIS
lvl.3
United States

The GPU should be your main consideration. Exclude any GPU with "Intel" in the name, and yes that excludes the MacBook Pros without Radeon - which puts you in the $2500 range for Apple, which is ludicrous baller money. For my hard-earned money I'd stick with PC.
2018-2-9
Use props
Rajat Tokas
New

India

The best video editing software are Final Cut Pro & the Adobe Premium version. For them to work properly you need laptops with high configurations. I think Asus Chromebook Does the trick when it comes to rendering of videos . Other then that Dell Alienware will do the work.  
For all those hard working video editors, they spend so much time preparing the final video, they need to sit properly here are some of the best cheap gaming chairs for them they can buy to maintain the good body posture during work hours.
2018-5-5
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

I absolutely love my ASUS ROG laptop that has 32Gb memory, very good video card, etc.  It handles editing my 4k content using Adobe Premiere Pro with ease.  Highly recommend.
2018-5-5
Use props
Datadogie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27028 ft

Whatever you get, get a second SSD. "C" drive for programs and "D" drive for data. If you get a laptop take out the DVD drive and put the second drive in its place.
2018-5-5
Use props
djiuser_A0qVjjB9IFVT
New

Yemen

hi
i confused between xps 15 9570 with i7 8th , 1050 ti and dell g5 with 1060 mq
what should i choose
i read about asus but most laptop in asus not have tb3 and have tn screen
i want t
o learnvideo editing
my budget 1300 $or 1400 mas

2018-11-24
Use props
djiuser_A0qVjjB9IFVT
New

Yemen

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-12-26 05:19
I running the entire Adobe Suite on my  Dell XPS 15 i7 w/32 gig ram, can't remember my video card specs, but I only use this laptop for the mobility factor.  I running my Asus at home.

you asus laptop or desktop ?
2018-11-24
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

The laptop I've been editing 4k video is grossly underpowered, but with a couple upgrades it works pretty well for editing 4k footage in Adobe Premiere.
I bought a HP, 15.6" Touch-Screen Laptop with Intel Core i5 and 8GB Memory last year for $450. I recently added a 1TB SSD for about $130 and increased the memory to 16GB for an additional $70
So for a grand total of $650 I can now edit 4k footage and only have slowdowns when I drop in more than a few hours of 4k footage into a Premiere timeline.

If I had to do it all over again I'd try to upgrade the processor to an i7 and not get the touchscreen. I RARELY use the touchscreen. Thought I'd use it more to draw graphics but I never do. If you buy a laptop it's nice (but rare) to find one with only 1 occupied RAM slot. That was one of the reasons I bought my laptop.
2018-11-24
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was looking at your suggestion of the ASUS GL50VS and it looks like a nice machine. 1 question and 1 suggestion.
#1 Does your laptop have two RAM slots and is your 8GB RAM 1 piece or 2-4GB pieces?
#2 Do you like the performance of the Hybrid drive? Because you could always buy a HD caddy and move it to a secondary drive and upgrade your C drive to 1TB solid state. Or vice versa. https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2018-11-24
Use props
Liza
New

United States

Hi, I also used Mac for a long time, right now I switched to asus. If only because it is more powerful. Here is the example of gaming and assembly notes 2018. For the price it turns out cheaper, the characteristics are better. I'm not saying that Apple has a bad product, no, it's just that their brand is very expensive
2018-11-29
Use props
oomrerolca
lvl.1

India

Video editing is gaining popularity every other day with advancement of new technology and techniques in videography. Along with that, highly advanced video editing software are available in the market these days. The 4K resolution cameras capture brilliant images and videos and so, for editing those 4K videos, you'll need a good 4K video editing laptop. But, it's not easy as you can't just look for 4K display of a laptop and get it. Various other factors needs to be checked along with it's 4K display. So, check out the whole video editing laptop buying guide along with best laptop picks for video editing here - https://mylaptopguide.com/best-laptop-for-video-editing/.
2019-7-10
Use props
oomrerolca
lvl.1

India

oomrerolca Posted at 7-10 21:04
Video editing is gaining popularity every other day with advancement of new technology and techniques in videography. Along with that, highly advanced video editing software are available in the market these days. The 4K resolution cameras capture brilliant images and videos and so, for editing those 4K videos, you'll need a good 4K video editing laptop. But, it's not easy as you can't just look for 4K display of a laptop and get it. Various other factors needs to be checked along with it's 4K display. So, check out the whole video editing laptop buying guide along with best laptop picks for video editing here - https://mylaptopguide.com/best-laptop-for-video-editing/.
<a rel="noopener"  target="_blank">top 10 best laptop for video editing</a>

2019-7-10
Use props
ny300z
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2603478 ft
United States

the Dell laptop I bought has luckily been perfect for editing 4K and has a 4K touchscreen all for $1000 and that was about 2 years ago. And i am able to edit video and watch the preview in full quality when editing.

Dell Inspiron 15 gaming edition
i7 processor
16GB memory
4GB Nvidia graphics card SSD drives
4K touchscreen

and like someone else mentioned, Adobe Premiere can use CUDA which the Nvidia cards have for rendering and it renders pretty fast.

2019-7-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules