Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
First flight no problems
884 9 2017-12-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tomramos213
lvl.2
United States

I got my Mavic Pro this Christmas 2017. After connecting it, took about 20 minutes to download and update the firmware and software. Having watched many tutorial videos about first flight and set up I was expecting to do calibrations and such. This was not the case, I turned my Mavic on and prepped on my patio. It got GPS lock on 17 satellites and was ready to go. I thought it would ask me to do some calibrations like the compass and IMU, but it didn't. So I took the chance and took off. It worked perfectly, after seeing that it was stable, I flew around a little, did some Quickshots and several RTH landings. All worked fine, it even knew I was 12ft off the ground while landed since I was on an elevated patio. Eventhough it's working fine should I still do IMU and compass calibration manually or should I wait until the software tells me it needs to do this? FYI all the GPS map information, compass, elevation and speed indicators on my controller screen are correct.
2017-12-25
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

You should do a compass calibration. No other calibrations are needed unless you have a problem.
2017-12-25
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Agreed. Compass calibration is a must especially first flight and any time you move more than 5 miles of last flight.
2017-12-26
Use props
eddieNoob
lvl.4
United States

Woe Posted at 2017-12-26 04:54
Agreed. Compass calibration is a must especially first flight and any time you move more than 5 miles of last flight.

Just one thing: YIPPEE!!!!!

Still waiting for my Platinum, which is stuck in a FEDEX warehouse right here in Salt Lake. So, small bit of vicarious pleasure (according to the season: no envy, just pleasure 'o) ).
2017-12-26
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

eddieNoob Posted at 2017-12-26 07:23
Just one thing: YIPPEE!!!!!

Still waiting for my Platinum, which is stuck in a FEDEX warehouse right here in Salt Lake. So, small bit of vicarious pleasure (according to the season: no envy, just pleasure 'o) ).

Have fun and fly safe. Take your time and get used too the way it performs.
2017-12-26
Use props
FlyDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

I would recommend doing GPS calibration every time the drone have been packaged and/or moved to a new location. It's sensitive electronics that can be affected by many things - maybe even while the drone is turned off in its bag.
2017-12-26
Use props
tomramos213
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will do the compass calibration today and do it whenever I fly at a new location. I live in the middle of Los Angeles near downtown but on top of a hill, so I guess I'm lucky to get good GPS at my place with only homes and 3 story apts nearby. Wish I could fly around the parks near me, 2 of them have small lakes and there's a 3rd that was a reservoir currently being refilled to be a lake. Oh well.
2017-12-26
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Do NOT do ANY calibration unless it asks you to.    Plenty of us have done zero calibrations and all is well.  Been flying it almost a year and it came out of the box new.  It has never asked for calibrations and none have been done since it came from the factory.  Don't mess with success.  Even DJI says to NOT do calibrations unless it asks you to.
2017-12-26
Use props
ritomavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 204380 ft
United States

@tomramos213 I would love to get some video near or around downtown LA. I'm just a bit south of you, near 110, 91 & 405. Only had to do compass calibration once, when I first took it out of the box and fired it up.
2017-12-26
Use props
tomramos213
lvl.2
United States

Flew again today, only asked for a quick update, no other settings. Waiting for the low noise props to come. From the videos others have posted I hop they make less noise. Sounds like a leaf blower when it's close.
2017-12-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules