Opti vs Atti Mode?
8367 21 2017-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wetordry
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8589 ft
United States

Newbie here trying to learn a few things.  I have ready many post, forums, and video's...made my first flight today which i tried to post below (hopefully it worked).  My question is, when I first took off I had GPS and then after about 30 seconds I received an interference warning.  In short can someone explain what the difference is from the title and also why on the map it appears my AC is facing a different direction than what it actually is and how do you correct it?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_5008.PNG
2017-12-28
Use props
wetordry
lvl.4
United States

you can see when the AC starts to veer backwards that i lost GPS and and went to OPTI.  I quickly noticed and started to land.  Not sure why it did this.
2017-12-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

wetordry Posted at 2017-12-28 13:14
https://youtu.be/y8rmdXrIuVA
you can see when the AC starts to veer backwards that i lost GPS and and went to OPTI.  I quickly noticed and started to land.  Not sure why it did this.

Opti is optical vision in other words VPS only no gps, you should be able to hold position in this mode but snow as a surface to lock on to is difficult for VPs .

You mention Atti mode and interference usually when you get interference there is a good chance you will enter Atti mode, I’m not sure because of the heading in your thread what exactly happened, maybe you can explain a little bit more.
2017-12-28
Use props
wetordry
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-28 13:25
Opti is optical vision in other words VPS only no gps, you should be able to hold position in this mode but snow as a surface to lock on to is difficult for VPs .

You mention Atti mode and interference usually when you get interference there is a good chance you will enter Atti mode, I’m not sure because of the heading in your thread what exactly happened, maybe you can explain a little bit more.

I have attached a pic of the start of the flight.  It shows the AC yawed to the left, although i flew it straight out away from me...not once did i yaw to the left.  Thx for the explanation on atti vs opti, makes sense now.
2017-12-28
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

I have read a few reports of the arrow pointing in a different direction from the aircraft and the outcome is never good.  I think it has to do with compass interference at the point of powering it on. I have made it my practice to ALWAYS check the arrow to make sure it is pointing the same way as the spark before every takeoff. It is even a good idea to watch the arrow and turn the spark by hand to see that it is pointing correctly.  I have not had it happen to me, but those that did found that just powering it down and back up seems to fix the problem.
2017-12-28
Use props
wetordry
lvl.4
United States

LouisP Posted at 2017-12-28 13:35
I have read a few reports of the arrow pointing in a different direction from the aircraft and the outcome is never good.  I think it has to do with compass interference at the point of powering it on. I have made it my practice to ALWAYS check the arrow to make sure it is pointing the same way as the spark before every takeoff. It is even a good idea to watch the arrow and turn the spark by hand to see that it is pointing correctly.  I have not had it happen to me, but those that did found that just powering it down and back up seems to fix the problem.

thx for the reply, can anyone else verify that powering down and back on will correct?  I turned it off and did not try to refly, was to nervous after that.
2017-12-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

wetordry Posted at 2017-12-28 13:31
I have attached a pic of the start of the flight.  It shows the AC yawed to the left, although i flew it straight out away from me...not once did i yaw to the left.  Thx for the explanation on atti vs opti, makes sense now.[view_image]

I suppose question I was trying to ask , did you lose gps and go to Atti mode, I will explain below what happens to your aircraft when this happens , if this happens.

Why would a compass error disable GPS?
Orientation (compass data) and position (GPS data) are different but related.
When the Spark is moving and getting position information from the GPS that tells the Spark that it is travelling in a different direction from what it's getting from compass data, The Spark programming can't work with the data conflict.
The solution is to drop data from one source and since the Spark can't fly without a compass but can without GPS, it's the GPS data that gets dropped.

This may not have happened but it’s no harm in knowing how your AC works in such situations.
2017-12-28
Use props
wetordry
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-28 13:49
I suppose question I was trying to ask , did you lose gps and go to Atti mode, I will explain below what happens to your aircraft when this happens , if this happens.

Never actually went into Atti mode, just Opti mode.  Not sure how to share the flight log, but after watching it i received the message below.. see pic.  Thanks again for all the replys,
trying to learn as much as i can with this.
2017-12-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

wetordry Posted at 2017-12-28 13:57
Never actually went into Atti mode, just Opti mode.  Not sure how to share the flight log, but after watching it i received the message below.. see pic.  Thanks again for all the replys,
trying to learn as much as i can with this.
[view_image]

Yes this was going to happen to you you can see all lights out on gps, so Landing was right thing to do, I don’t know where you launched from but could there have been metal or rebar concrete around?
2017-12-28
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

wetordry Posted at 2017-12-28 13:46
thx for the reply, can anyone else verify that powering down and back on will correct?  I turned it off and did not try to refly, was to nervous after that.

Just power it back on and check the arrow compass to see if it is correct... If the compass thinks the spark is flying south but the GPS data indicates that it is flying north then the spark will be confused and drop down to OPTI or ATTI mode.  Best thing to do is to get it on the ground as fast as possible.
2017-12-28
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

wetordry Posted at 2017-12-28 13:46
thx for the reply, can anyone else verify that powering down and back on will correct?  I turned it off and did not try to refly, was to nervous after that.

Hi, sir. Please try to fly in recommended environment and see if it has a better flight performance. I would recommend you fly in warmer weather and temperature over 0° C.
flight environment.PNG
2017-12-28
Use props
fans0c2e82a9
lvl.1
United States

When GPS Signal is not available the aircraft will switch to OPTI Mode which uses the Vision Positing System to track to the ground and only works up to a certain height above the ground. It needs to have good lighting and it and must have a clear ground pattern. ATTI Mode does not use GPS or Vision Positioning to keep the aircraft from drifting. The aircraft will switch into ATTI Mode if there is no GPS Signal and the Vision Positing System is inactive.
2018-3-27
Use props
Joller79 DK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26447 ft
Denmark

LouisP Posted at 2017-12-28 14:53
Just power it back on and check the arrow compass to see if it is correct... If the compass thinks the spark is flying south but the GPS data indicates that it is flying north then the spark will be confused and drop down to OPTI or ATTI mode.  Best thing to do is to get it on the ground as fast as possible.

Only problem for us phone only users. We have no live view in map...only last coordinate.  Sucks
2018-5-7
Use props
Firehawk989
Second Officer
Flight distance : 198904 ft
Canada

Also check your compass sensor interference level before takeoff. Should always be low in the green range.

Mine had a bad compass calibration from the factory and was always yellow, no matter where I was. Recalibrated in an interference-free place and it has been perfect since.
2018-5-7
Use props
jumping
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40141 ft
United States

Joller79 DK Posted at 2018-5-7 12:20
Only problem for us phone only users. We have no live view in map...only last coordinate.  Sucks

Hi Joller , why is it that you don't have a view with your phone. Do you mean a non smart phone?
2019-2-4
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

jumping Posted at 2-4 06:43
Hi Joller , why is it that you don't have a view with your phone. Do you mean a non smart phone?

He means that he haven't a Remote Controller.
2019-2-4
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-28 13:49

Any proof Spark can't fly without the compass (physically) and not DJIs arbitrary decision in software?
I have on my bench like half a dozen of drones that although far cheaper than Spark can fly perfectly fine without the compass.
2019-2-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2-4 13:28
Any proof Spark can't fly without the compass (physically) and not DJIs arbitrary decision in software?
I have on my bench like half a dozen of drones that although far cheaper than Spark can fly perfectly fine without the compass.

Fly where how far how straight how stable, I have many drones myself that I built with my late father yes I can get them up in the air, whatever I said above was regarding these drones, I may add that 99.9% of all consumer prosumer and professional basically use the same system.

So while I know your right but unless your drone without a compass can fly 2 miles stable flight then you can’t compare it with these drones, and if it does fly 2 miles knowing where it’s going where it came from is stable, why would you need a dji drone .
2019-2-4
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

hallmark007 Posted at 2-4 13:42
Fly where how far how straight how stable, I have many drones myself that I built with my late father yes I can get them up in the air, whatever I said above was regarding these drones, I may add that 99.9% of all consumer prosumer and professional basically use the same system.

So while I know your right but unless your drone without a compass can fly 2 miles stable flight then you can’t compare it with these drones, and if it does fly 2 miles knowing where it’s going where it came from is stable, why would you need a dji drone .

Yeah.... so it can fly, it just can't fly straight enough.
2019-2-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2-4 13:53
Yeah.... so it can fly, it just can't fly straight enough.

That’s about it, I’m sure someday with new technology there will be a better handling process when something like gps or compass fail .
2019-2-4
Use props
StetsonWatkins
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1871611 ft
United States

LouisP Posted at 2017-12-28 13:35
I have read a few reports of the arrow pointing in a different direction from the aircraft and the outcome is never good.  I think it has to do with compass interference at the point of powering it on. I have made it my practice to ALWAYS check the arrow to make sure it is pointing the same way as the spark before every takeoff. It is even a good idea to watch the arrow and turn the spark by hand to see that it is pointing correctly.  I have not had it happen to me, but those that did found that just powering it down and back up seems to fix the problem.

Good advice!
2019-2-4
Use props
Joller79 DK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26447 ft
Denmark

jumping Posted at 2-4 06:43

Before i got a controller, on my iphone 6 or other smartphones there is no minimap
2019-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules