Too many steps to connect DJI Spark and Controller
4450 6 2017-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
seanxr
New
United States

Brand new Spark Flymore Combo and a Pixel XL with Android 8.x.

Out of the box, the Spark and the remote were successfully paired. Walking through the instructions to connect, I fail on the connect to WiFi page (the 5-6-7-8 page).
If I scan the QR code with WiFi off and it connects the phone WiFi to the controller. But, the Next button does not become enabled.

If I scan the QR code with WiFi on and connected (manually) to the controller, the QR code scan fails. The Next button does not become enabled.

If I manually connect the WiFi to the controller, the Next button does not become enabled.

In any case -- QR code scan with WiFi off, QR code scan with WiFi on and connected to controller, or manually connected -- the Next button does not become enabled.

If I exit the set up application, I cannot get past the page with "ENTER DEVICE."

The only way I can fly is:

• Turn on the drone
  • Connect the phone to the drone
  • Turn on the controller
  • Connect the controller to the drone
  • Turn on the App on the phone
  • Connect the WiFi to the controller

This is a pain!

Is there any better way to connect all three and get flying?

WiFi Connection step

WiFi Connection step

QR Scan connect fails if already connected

QR Scan connect fails if already connected

WiFi is connected

WiFi is connected

Enter Device

Enter Device
2017-12-29
Use props
Gulfstream Greg
lvl.1
Flight distance : 176024 ft
United States

YES!  There is easier way than all that!  ^      1.  Turn on controller.  Wait 30 seconds.    2.   Place controller less than 6 inches away from Spark.  Turn on spark.    3.  Wait about 45 seconds for a green light on the controller and blinking green lights the on the Spark!  Its easy!  
2017-12-29
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm on iOS, so I don't think what I'm going to say is applicable to your situation with Android....

• If I'm not at home (i.e. not already connected to wifi with my phone), I just turn on the RC, turn on the AC, jump into DJI Go 4 and in a short time its all connected.
  • If I'm at home and already connected to my home wifi, then after I turn on the RC and AC, I go to my phone's wifi settings, click the Spark's RC wifi, then go into DJI Go 4.

Couldn't be much simpler.  Of course the first time I connected my phone to the RC, I had to type in the password for the RC's SSID, but that is a one time only thing to do.  After that, my phone remembers it and will automatically connect to that wifi if it's not already connected to another WiFi.
2017-12-29
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

"If I manually connect the WiFi to the controller, the Next button does not become enabled"

Forget about using  the app/ QR code to connect  I'd just connect manually
Just go into the Phone wi-fi settings find the Spark RC wireless network (e.g Spark RC XXXXX) and connect using the password usually it's "12341234"

Once you have manually connected your phone to the controller wi-fi , that's all you need to do.
The RC and AC should be automatically linked once you turn them on.
Then you just open the DJI Go 4 app and then check you have a connection (grey wording bottom left of the DJI Go 4 entry screen) , once you have you "connected"  just "enter the device"

I find the "connection" works better when the DJI Go 4 is opened last after all the other connections have been made

2017-12-29
Use props
gobigparts
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2897 ft
United States

It was a painful experience when I took mine out of the box to get the Pixel to recognize the remote and the remote to recognize the drone. I spent a 1/2 hour or more. But not that everything is recognized it is a piece of cake. I just connect to remote because that is what I fly with. I have the Pixel XL. I always put it in airplane mode first which I believe is the key. Then tun Wifi back on and select the spark remote. Most of the time it automatically connects. The Issue I am having now is sometimes the DJI go 4 app will crash mid flight and I have to reopen the app. Anyone else?
2018-1-9
Use props
Smolly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15712 ft

South Africa

First world problems....
2018-1-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It gets easier, but your right particularly starting out it can be cumbersome. As against other dji craft turn on remote turn on aircraft turn on app Done.
2018-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules