Work Around for P4Pv2 RC Charging Mini 4
3572 52 2018-6-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Brantel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 294997 ft
United States

I think you are well on your way to proving that something is not quite correct with the new P4P 2.0 Controller.  DJI needs to accept responsibility for this and fix it.   Other DJI controllers don't do this with the same mobile devices so why does the P4P 2.0 remote controller do it?  The answer is that it should'nt..

Even though I have been a tech geek all my life, have an electronics engineering degree and have been an Electrical Engineer in the Industrial Automation field for over 25 years,  I don't feel like we as consumers should have to jump thru these kinds of hoops to be able to enjoy products like these that we are paying a premium price for.

2018-6-19
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17736 ft

Brantel Posted at 2018-6-19 11:15
I think you are well on your way to proving that something is not quite correct with the new P4P 2.0 Controller.  DJI needs to accept responsibility for this and fix it.   Other DJI controllers don't do this with the same mobile devices so why does the P4P 2.0 remote controller do it?  The answer is that it should'nt..

Even though I have been a tech geek all my life, have an electronics engineering degree and have been an Electrical Engineer in the Industrial Automation field for over 25 years,  I don't feel like we as consumers should have to jump thru these kinds of hoops to be able to enjoy products like these that we are paying a premium price for.

Thank You for your support Brantel.
You know what I was thinking-The USB circuit board is under the handle and can be easily replaced.
2018-6-19
Use props
iamjustjohn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 995600 ft
United States

Would a firmware update possibly fix this if DJI wanted to?
2018-6-19
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 294997 ft
United States

iamjustjohn Posted at 2018-6-19 17:07
Would a firmware update possibly fix this if DJI wanted to?

Totally depends on how they built their circuits and how adaptive they might be.  If it is all passive electronics, firmware likely won't help but if it is built with a CPLD, PSoC, FPGA or similar embedded, maybe.

2018-6-19
Use props
paul2660
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10331 ft
  • >>>

The P4 pro controller also charges my iPad. So this behavior seems to be carried forward.

Paul C
2018-6-23
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer

paul2660 Posted at 2018-6-23 04:54
The P4 pro controller also charges my iPad. So this behavior seems to be carried forward.

Paul C

I think your right Paul C. I emailed tech support about this problem and they were in total denial:  

Alvin (Support)
6月23日 CST04:06
Hi Andy,

Thank you for your response.
We would like to apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. This is certainly not the experience we want for you.
The remote controller charging the mobile device is actually not an issue with the USB Circuit board on the remote controller. It is normal for the remote controller to charge the mobile device when it is connected.

I do understand how you would feel at this point. If I were on your situation, I would feel the same. What I can do right now is forward your suggestion of the remote controller not to charge the mobile device to our developer team future consideration.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.
Best regards,
Alvin
DJI Customer Support

So I emailed this link to allow them to see how many other pilots are having the same problem. We need to keep this going until the problem is corrected.

Similar Post: Stop RC charging devise- https://forum.dji.com/thread-78959-1-1.html

2018-6-23
Use props
paul2660
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10331 ft
  • >>>

I just double checked, with a P4 Pro Obsidian, yes, the iPad is being charged via the lightening cable.  

However the Crystalsky with a USB-C cable is not being charged.  

I had not given this much thought until now as it's summer, 98 degrees 100% humidity, and thus the iPad will get hot especially if the display is turned up.

Paul C
2018-6-23
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer

paul2660 Posted at 2018-6-23 09:38
I just double checked, with a P4 Pro Obsidian, yes, the iPad is being charged via the lightening cable.  

However the Crystalsky with a USB-C cable is not being charged.  

I'm up to 6 ohms and holding steady.
2018-6-27
Use props
TJ_photography
lvl.1
Flight distance : 386378 ft

Hi everyone,

Just to add to the discussion, I had a P4 for a year and almost never had to charge the RC. I have been using an iPad Air2 and never had an issue running out of power in the iPad. Not sure why DJI thought charging the device was a good idea.

When I got the P4P just over a year ago I noticed the controller battery life was very short. Now that I have been checking, I noticed the RC battery is at 50% after one (long) flight. That means that having three flight batteries is almost useless… I realize the P4P RC battery is no longer new but this is unacceptable. As a side note, it now appears the RC battery won’t charge much past 75% (just happened)

This needs to be addressed by DJI
Ted
2018-6-30
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer

TJ_photography Posted at 2018-6-30 05:38
Hi everyone,

Just to add to the discussion, I had a P4 for a year and almost never had to charge the RC. I have been using an iPad Air2 and never had an issue running out of power in the iPad. Not sure why DJI thought charging the device was a good idea.

Found out today this method works with the Apple device, not the Huawei.
2018-10-7
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ATJ Posted at 2018-6-15 01:59
When it’s being charged by the factory charger the iPad knows when to stop charging.
With the RC, it continues to charge even at 100% This overheats the iPad Mini 4 battery significantly.

Its the factory charger that knows when to stop, not the ipad

The RC is continually charging because the ipad is being used, the DJI app is very resource hungry and therefore will drain the battery as soon as its being used, this is what the rc is continually charging, BUT, its a low charge, i beleive that its only about 1amp because my Tab S2 says its not fast charging, so, its not really using much of the RC power, not to mention the battery on the RC is very good an will take an age to use up
2018-10-7
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

there is a solution if the Usb Cable it is normal Usb .... it is cutting negative  .... i tried in my usb type C and it do not work  ...   yes in a normal Usb cable

2018-10-8
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 2018-10-8 01:23
there is a solution if the Usb Cable it is normal Usb .... it is cutting negative  .... i tried in my usb type C and it do not work  ...   yes in a normal Usb cable

I purchased a Huawei this weekend plugged it in and darn, it's doing the same thing a my iPad mini 4, charging the tablet. I investigated a little closer and realized that the charge light was on but the Huawei was not actually charging, because when I went full screen on the app with my RC on (where you can see the charging level) the Huawei charge percentage was actually was dropping. Awesome-I think this is because, when you first plug in the RC to the tablet it asks you if you want to transfer and manage files with computer? I chose Device File Management (MTP) and it stopped it from charging.

Unfortunately because the Apple has a closed system, and you are unable to make these choices.
2018-10-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules