Close call
679 11 2017-12-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nilesh-spark
lvl.1
Flight distance : 170919 ft
South Africa

So, I went to a park, and confidently, as usual, launched my DJI spark. Immediately after launching, the drone flew away, at a very low altitude, but just kept going. The controller was responding, but not enough, and the drone flew on it's merry way. I ran after it, and eventually, managed to get control, and landed it quickly. I tried again, this time my hands shaking as I almost lost my drone. It went up, and finally, it was flying well, when my phone started beeping, and the drone lost control again. THis time it landed a little abruptly, but again safely. I did not want to chance it, and I put my drone away, and thought I would ask you clever people... what could have happened. PLease find the logs below:Loss of control immediately after takeoff    http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/XGYSU96ESRRITYQ4EOFW/

Forced landing - not sure why - http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/7WXZ4P5L27QP2EPBO4E3/

Thank you in advance.

Nilesh
2017-12-30
Use props
jksphoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 114121 ft
United Kingdom

You only had 5 satellites locked on at take off. I normally wait till at least 10.
2017-12-30
Use props
rimza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3307 ft
Brunei

Home have not been established. Did the rear LED blinking green?
On the second flight you do have the home point established.
2017-12-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

First instance was caused by not enough gps to fly, you took off with just 5 sats, you need minimum of 11 to fly by gps, so Aircraft did not have proper gps lock. When this happens your Aircraft will not rise above 16 ft, it’s the failsafe height when flying from take off with not enough gps.

Second instance is not clear I had similar myself 3 days ago, if this happens again particularly over water, just something to remember by switching  from P mode to Sport and back again it will cancel forced landing.
2017-12-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

One thing I forgot to mention when your Aircraft  initiated Forced Landing your VPs was giving really bad readings, I wonder would there have been much condensation in the air causing your VPs to fog up and give incorrect readings ?

2017-12-30
Use props
m1n1s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319915 ft
United Kingdom

I had a simliar experience the other day , flying in cold grey conditions at about 100M up the Spark tried to land because of a VP error, flicked her in to sports mode and made my way back then selected p mode and landed, when i viewed the video later I could see i flew through some mist was wasn't visable from the ground but was enough to mess with the sensors on the spark.
2017-12-30
Use props
Nilesh-spark
lvl.1
South Africa

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-30 11:02
First instance was caused by not enough gps to fly, you took off with just 5 sats, you need minimum of 11 to fly by gps, so Aircraft did not have proper gps lock. When this happens your Aircraft will not rise above 16 ft, it’s the failsafe height when flying from take off with not enough gps.

Second instance is not clear I had similar myself 3 days ago, if this happens again particularly over water, just something to remember by switching  from P mode to Sport and back again it will cancel forced landing.

That is a great tip. Thank you
2017-12-31
Use props
Nilesh-spark
lvl.1
South Africa

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-30 11:19
One thing I forgot to mention when your Aircraft  initiated Forced Landing your VPs was giving really bad readings, I wonder would there have been much condensation in the air causing your VPs to fog up and give incorrect readings ?

No, it was a relatively clear day. But maybe it just needs to be cleaned. Could have been messed with the first flight
2017-12-31
Use props
Nilesh-spark
lvl.1
South Africa

jksphoto Posted at 2017-12-30 06:28
You only had 5 satellites locked on at take off. I normally wait till at least 10.

Thank you. Good advice.
2017-12-31
Use props
Nilesh-spark
lvl.1
South Africa

rimza Posted at 2017-12-30 07:01
Home have not been established. Did the rear LED blinking green?
On the second flight you do have the home point established.

It was too quick to notice anything. It just went off on it's own.
2017-12-31
Use props
Nilesh-spark
lvl.1
South Africa

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-30 11:02

Cool, thanks. Lesson learnt!
2017-12-31
Use props
Paul Lee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120623 ft
United Kingdom

Always wait for the message that the Home Point has been updated... Even if it means hovering for a few minutes......
2017-12-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules