Testing and creating symptoms for a high wind condition
1749 11 2018-1-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

if somebody could do a video on spark handling wind condition using a Makita or Black & Decker blower ( 600 watts _ 800 watts) , this could simulate a very strong wind condition.

This blower must be brought very close to the drone ventillation holes where the wind speed would increase considerably becos of the small area vents.
Also this test condition must be done outside at a heoght of 2 meters with GPS signal.
2018-1-1
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Kuwait

this could as well create if any how the compass and imu perform during high wind
2018-1-1
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

There's already a chap on you tube with serious leaf blowing ..
2018-1-1
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

And how about dog hair blower? These are in 2kW range and amount of air and its speed is such that it literary blows of water in a form of mist from dog in early stages of drying.
2018-1-1
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Link to test. https://youtu.be/VooA0i622JM
2018-1-1
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Man he beats the crap out of the Spark with that leaf blower.  Though it doesn't really show how the wind affects the forward motoin of the drone.
2018-1-1
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
United States

As long there is no atti mode, it will do fine. Methinks.
2018-1-1
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, S.J. We would not recommend users fly in high wind situation, the flight performance will be affected and find it hard to remain stable.
2018-1-1
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Kuwait

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-1-1 18:59
Hi, S.J. We would not recommend users fly in high wind situation, the flight performance will be affected and find it hard to remain stable.

I fully agree...

The test is in addition to identify how much of a strong wind can affect the imu calibration and compass inside the SPARK to create YAW errors.

I have flown my SPARK in RED , YELLOW and ORANGE  warning messages indicating  High Wind Velocity in the mobile app   but in each case the SPARK returned home, may be I was  lucky !!
2018-1-1
Use props
AlanIRL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5384 ft
Ireland

He is testing in a controlled situation where he gets no compass error or loss of gps. And admittedly the little Spark is a star. But don't mistake this controlled test for what will happen if you have your Spark up there and even for 5 sec she switches to Atti for any reason - a wind like that will then give you real problems that the Spark may not recover from. Or the wind might damage a rotor and then forget about it. As a famous comedian once said " Its not THAT the wind is blowing, its WHAT the wind is blowing!"
2018-1-2
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Still impressive.
How far from it's present gps location (no stick) will it tolerate before giving up? The present gps fix  is a local RTH really  so the daring might like to pull it 10 metres away and see!!
2018-1-2
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

S.J Posted at 2018-1-1 23:39
I fully agree...

The test is in addition to identify how much of a strong wind can affect the imu calibration and compass inside the SPARK to create YAW errors.

Glad you can control your spark well under high wind reminders. Please fly in low wind environment for your drone's safety.
2018-1-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules