7441 12 2018-1-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Legacystar
lvl.2
Flight distance : 168688 ft
United States

Hello Everyone,

I'm having an issue updating firmware and unlocking restricted flight zones.  When i'm connected to the spark via the RC or directly, i have no internet, so i canot download the updates or unlock data.  I have made sure "mobile data always on" in the wifi settings, but it doesn't seem to matter.  I have tried this with the original google pixel, and now the pixel 2 XL, and neither will use mobile data when connected to the spark.  My work around has been to use the OTG cabel, but now with all he problems with OTG, i need to figure out how to do this.

Screenshot_20180102-092623.png
2018-1-2
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Turn off the RC and Spark and set them aside.  Open up the DJI app on your phone while it is connected to the internet (on your home's wifi).  Then select the update available notice at the top of the screen.  You can then download the updates to your phone's memory.  

After the download to your phone is done, connect the RC and Spark to the phone, go to the same update screen, and select update Spark/RC/battery/or whatever you want to update.
2018-1-2
Use props
Legacystar
lvl.2
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-1-2 09:51
Turn off the RC and Spark and set them aside.  Open up the DJI app on your phone while it is connected to the internet (on your home's wifi).  Then select the update available notice at the top of the screen.  You can then download the updates to your phone's memory.  

After the download to your phone is done, connect the RC and Spark to the phone, go to the same update screen, and select update Spark/RC/battery/or whatever you want to update.

do i need to connect to the drone to get the update notification, then disconnect, or is there a way to check for the update without the drone?  i don't have the drone with me, but i loaded the app up and i don't see an update notification.

also, this may help the update process, but it still doesn't help me with GEO unlocking.  i can unlock a restricted Area on my laptop, but i cannot activate the unlock because the app cannot access the internet.  
2018-1-2
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Legacystar Posted at 2018-1-2 10:28
do i need to connect to the drone to get the update notification, then disconnect, or is there a way to check for the update without the drone?  i don't have the drone with me, but i loaded the app up and i don't see an update notification.

also, this may help the update process, but it still doesn't help me with GEO unlocking.  i can unlock a restricted Area on my laptop, but i cannot activate the unlock because the app cannot access the internet.

You might have some kind of diabled button selected with your DJI Go 4 app.  Mine has internet access through the cell towers, or through a wifi if my phone is on one.  I gave it permission to access the internet.  Furthermore I set up my DJI account through my app.

It looks like this without the Spark around.
2018-1-2
Use props
Legacystar
lvl.2
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-1-2 11:36
You might have some kind of diabled button selected with your DJI Go 4 app.  Mine has internet access through the cell towers, or through a wifi if my phone is on one.  I gave it permission to access the internet.  Furthermore I set up my DJI account through my app.

It looks like this without the Spark around.

I get that notification, when i have the drone attached.  are you saying you get it even if the drone is in no way connected?
2018-1-2
Use props
Legacystar
lvl.2
United States

never mind, i got the notification.  still going to have problem with GEO unlock though, any idea on that?
2018-1-2
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Legacystar Posted at 2018-1-2 10:28

also, this may help the update process, but it still doesn't help me with GEO unlocking.  i can unlock a restricted Area on my laptop, but i cannot activate the unlock because the app cannot access the internet.

Hi, sir. I would recommend you use Iphone to update the unlock area so that you can use mobile data. Thanks for your understanding.
2018-1-3
Use props
Nijam219
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5443 ft
Germany

m

not everyone can buy an iphone, only for a "normal" usage with a DJI product.
so why is this not working on "newer" android devices?
i know, i know.... it's not everytime DJIs fault.
but it's sad, that you need an overpriced (not so good-) product to use an expensive (good-) product.
2018-1-3
Use props
volleynerd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25705 ft
United States

I have the same problem Legacystar, with a Pixel and inability to unlock GEO zones.  In Go 4 app, can't connect to the internet while connected to Spark via WiFi.  Have tried various settings in Pixel including those in Developer options.  Very occasionally seem to have internet connectivity (while connected WiFi to Spark) outside the Go 4 app using web browser, etc. but never from within the Go 4 app.

Other place this manifests itself besides the GEO unlock function is the mini map while flying.  Use my phone as the remote controller for now, so I've never seen the mini map (no data available).

I know DJI says "use an iPhone" - while that sounds ridiculous, I suppose I can try to use my wife's phone just as a way to unlock the geo zone then flip back to my phone for flying?
2018-1-3
Use props
singgiha
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3583675 ft
Indonesia

May be the only solution (and cheap) is to use OTG cable for your android, so you can keep your phone's wifi off and stay connected to the internet through cellular.
2018-8-15
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

singgiha Posted at 2018-8-15 18:54
May be the only solution (and cheap) is to use OTG cable for your android, so you can keep your phone's wifi off and stay connected to the internet through cellular.

Hi, thanks for the additional help, however, you need to ensure that the firmware is up to date for the RC to support an OTG cable and it would be better to turn off the mobile data to avoid interferences. Thank you for the support.
2018-8-16
Use props
Blellow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

Why can't mobile data connect to the internet?
2018-8-16
Use props
singgiha
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3583675 ft
Indonesia

Blellow Posted at 2018-8-16 14:11
Why can't mobile data connect to the internet?

that's ridiculous ...

seem he didn't get what the OP's question was...
How do we get the update done without connected to the internet??
2018-8-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules