New Owner
632 10 2018-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Colj82
New
United States

I wanted get again and fly my Mavic Pro but outdoor temps rite was 37. I decided to check wind chill for 8 mph wind and it dropped it to 30.93. Do you fly or not fly ???
35E12CBC-C4DB-4612-B253-DDD499784C7B.jpeg
2018-1-3
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes. Just keep an eye on battery levels. Try not to fly to aggressive as that would drop your levels faster. Fly safe
2018-1-3
Use props
Colj82
New
United States

Sorry for typos but my question is if 32 is the limit for flying the Mavic Pro and you consider the current wind do you still fly it if the wind chill factor takes you under 32?
2018-1-3
Use props
Colj82
New
United States

Thanks @ Woe
2018-1-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What if by the time you made the calculation the wind speed dropped by 3MPH... You would be stuck indoors when you could be flying. Wind speeds change so drastically that these formulas are respectively pointless and at 400' AGL the wind will be much faster than at 50' + the wind where you take off may be slower than 500M away where you intend to record. Bottom line - get out there and fly the thing and adjust your route etc during the flight to compensate for any environmental conditions that may arise and WILL change during the 20 odd minutes the quad is airborne (per battery). Wind speeds and wind direction changes in seconds. What you need to be very mindful of is the prospect of rain showers and low light conditions.
2018-1-3
Use props
Colj82
New
United States

Good points @ a cw. It has been colder than normal for GA and I have viewed numerous videos and need to put some of it into practice .
2018-1-3
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Flying these drones are not the same each time. Wind direction, temperature and wind speed changes each time you fly. The app might disconnect in a flash or go into ATTI mode so you really have to keep an eye on everything constantly.
2018-1-3
Use props
Monsinho
lvl.1
Flight distance : 272490 ft
Sweden

Wind chill effect does not affect things. It only something that people and animals ”feel” because we got a thin layer of warmer air around our skin. So If it is 37 degrees outside thats the temperature for your battery.
2018-1-3
Use props
Monsinho
lvl.1
Flight distance : 272490 ft
Sweden

Just make sure you let the battery pre-heat when you turn on your mavic and before take off.  Check your battery temperature in the dji app. You are good to go after they reach  68 farenheit. After take off keep an eye on on your battery levels because they drop faster.
2018-1-3
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would fly but others have said keep on eye of the battery level. I never check wind chill only wind speed/gusts and current temp.
2018-1-3
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Flew last week at -15F with no problem, have done similar many times.  -17F last year with the P3A.  You have to know what you are doing though and know what NOT to do was well. Above all, you have to be prepared to live with the consequences, good or bad.
2018-1-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules