First flight and got "Jello video"
661 7 2018-1-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
polletttim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7572 ft
Canada

Its been less than 24 hours since my first flight with my brand new MAVIC PRO. I was super excited to test it out only to find the video has this wavy "jello" effect happening. I had no idea it was a common problem til I searched it and found multiple complaints and videos of the same effect but cannot find a proper solution. Where it seems there are so many people with the same issue, is there a fix or solution anybody knows about? Ive tried refreshing the controller and drone using DJI assitant, I've also recalibrated thye camera. I was using the drone in about -1C to -3C temperatures with 5-10(max)km winds. I've also noticed the drone seems to be pulling slightly to one side when hovering and moving forward/ backward. Is it possible that one or more of the propellers warps in the "cold" and causes vibrations causing the jelly video and slight pull to one side? Ive seen and read about people using the same drones in -15C with no issues other than battery life cut in half. Anybody have any info or opinions or fixes for what causes the wavy/ jelly video?
2018-1-4
Use props
polletttim
lvl.2
Canada

2018-1-4
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

It seems you have done most things to help correct the problem but in addition you could try a calibration of the gimbal and just check that your gimbal is seated correctly i.e. front and back under the tabs. I don't have any experience with such cold temperatures but it shouldn't affect the gimbal.
Failing that, you will need to contact support.
2018-1-4
Use props
Alexei Merinov
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4796509 ft
Vietnam

if you have tried everything that colleagues recommend above, try to identify the two sources of the problem:
1. There is no freedom of rotation of the gimbal elements. Try (turn off the power) with your hands, without effort, repeatedly rotate the camera along all axes. It should rotate freely from the stop to the stop. If you notice any friction - in the service center.
2. The propeller is unbalanced. In turn, leave one propeller, turn on Mavik and touch the body with your finger.  Try to estimate the vibration, just adding the speed of the motor. If you find a heartbeat, change the propeller.
2018-1-4
Use props
polletttim
lvl.2
Canada

Jenee 2 Posted at 2018-1-4 21:36
It seems you have done most things to help correct the problem but in addition you could try a calibration of the gimbal and just check that your gimbal is seated correctly i.e. front and back under the tabs. I don't have any experience with such cold temperatures but it shouldn't affect the gimbal.
Failing that, you will need to contact support.

yeah seems strange, even tho I'm new to this, in my opinion the -2C or -3C shouldn't affect the camera or gimbal, maybe affect the battery life but thats it. (kinda thinking maybe a propeller blade is warping a bit in the slight cold but could be completely wrong) I'm gonna try a few things, including recalibration, over the next few days or so, when we get another nice day here.
2018-1-5
Use props
polletttim
lvl.2
Canada

Alexei Merinov Posted at 2018-1-4 22:22
if you have tried everything that colleagues recommend above, try to identify the two sources of the problem:
1. There is no freedom of rotation of the gimbal elements. Try (turn off the power) with your hands, without effort, repeatedly rotate the camera along all axes. It should rotate freely from the stop to the stop. If you notice any friction - in the service center.
2. The propeller is unbalanced. In turn, leave one propeller, turn on Mavik and touch the body with your finger.  Try to estimate the vibration, just adding the speed of the motor. If you find a heartbeat, change the propeller.

it does move freely along all axis' but it springs back on the 'horizontal axis' when I let go - I was wondering if it was supposed to spring back slightly towards to gimbal arm or if that is an issue. it centres itself when the drone is turned on. I can upload a pic or vid of it just to make sure I guess.

I like that idea about the unbalanced propeller. In my opinion, I think it is a propeller issue (maybe I've convinced myself) so I'll try that soon! I'll have to try it in the heat and in the cold.

2018-1-5
Use props
fans9553217f
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Spain

It is so basic and obvious that i am almost ashamed to mention it, but you have released the gimbal so it dangles freely in the support straps? This is a well known issue for out-of-the-box flyers.
2018-1-6
Use props
polletttim
lvl.2
Canada

fans9553217f Posted at 2018-1-6 01:21
It is so basic and obvious that i am almost ashamed to mention it, but you have released the gimbal so it dangles freely in the support straps? This is a well known issue for out-of-the-box flyers.

yes the gimbal is freely dangling
2018-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules