Won't fly forward except in Sport Mode
6856 35 2018-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Optiknerve
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi All

I recevied a Spark for Christmas and today was the first time owning to weather I was able to take it out for a little flight.  I've watched numerous videos and read loads of tips and tricks so thought I would be ok, however, once I had taken off, the spark would only accend and decend and turn left and right, I could not get it to go forward or backward.  I was on a wide open beach using the controller and all firmware was up to date.  When I switched to sport mode the spark handled as expected.  Anyone have any ideas why it wont fly forward in normal mode?

Cheers
Optik
2018-1-5
Use props
DJT_MVSP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

Could be a defective infrared module; have you tried to disable obstacles avoidance?
2018-1-5
Use props
Optiknerve
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJT_MVSP Posted at 2018-1-5 03:49
Could be a defective infrared module; have you tried to disable obstacles avoidance?

Not yet, as a spark newbie I need all the fail safes possible LOL.  Will give a try though but as I was in a wide open space guessing it was either a setting that needed changing or something wasn't working properly
2018-1-5
Use props
davmau
lvl.2

Germany

Optiknerve Posted at 2018-1-5 03:59
Not yet, as a spark newbie I need all the fail safes possible LOL.  Will give a try though but as I was in a wide open space guessing it was either a setting that needed changing or something wasn't working properly

Have you peel off the sensor foil? No reaction I know only if takes off in the smallest space, then nothing is possible except landing.
2018-1-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13978875 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I’d send it back for replacement
2018-1-5
Use props
MKPSG12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 341073 ft
United Kingdom

How strong was the wind and were you trying to fly forwards/rearwards against it? A British beach can produce some very strong winds, especially at this time of year! If the wind is moving faster than the Spark is capable you're not going to go anywhere! Switching to Sport mode increases the available power and can overcome a stronger wind.

Have you tried it indoors/where there is no wind?
2018-1-5
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

Beginner mode?
2018-1-5
Use props
Mario_b
lvl.2
Flight distance : 977103 ft
Germany

DJT_MVSP Posted at 2018-1-5 03:49

He said, Forward AND Backward didn't work ... correct me, but Ostacles Avoidance is only Forward used ?
2018-1-5
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

He doesn't mention  whether left/right is yaw or L/R aileron.
2018-1-5
Use props
Optiknerve
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Bright Spark Posted at 2018-1-5 05:14
He doesn't mention  whether left/right is yaw or L/R aileron.

Left Stick is pitch/yaw, right stick is forward/back and roll.  Roll is very hit and miss too, will go slightly one way or the other but snaps back quickly.  Just taken it out to a different location, no wind, not flying high (probably 15/20 feet) and still wouldn't go forward, backward seemed to work for the most part.  Again no issues in sport mode
2018-1-5
Use props
BobUnplugged
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

Make sure you have peeled off all the stickers on the sensors.  Since they are turned off in Sports mode, it makes sense that you can fly in Sports mode with an obstructed sensor.
2018-1-5
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Tripod mode?
2018-1-5
Use props
Optiknerve
lvl.1
United Kingdom

BobUnplugged Posted at 2018-1-5 07:27
Make sure you have peeled off all the stickers on the sensors.  Since they are turned off in Sports mode, it makes sense that you can fly in Sports mode with an obstructed sensor.

All stickers removed when I first opened the box.  Going to try without the prop guards on?  
2018-1-5
Use props
_zine
lvl.2
Flight distance : 49521 ft
United Kingdom

Optiknerve Posted at 2018-1-5 07:39
All stickers removed when I first opened the box.  Going to try without the prop guards on?

Sound like its still in Beginner mode?

I'd sell it before it decides to fly away! ... a common problem with the current firmware.
2018-1-5
Use props
Optiknerve
lvl.1
United Kingdom

_zine Posted at 2018-1-5 07:48
Sound like its still in Beginner mode?

I'd sell it before it decides to fly away! ... a common problem with the current firmware.

Would beginner mode stop forward and backward flight??  Surely not?  Disabled object avoidance inside and it worked fine.  Sorry if I'm being dump, totally new to drones (have flown helicopters in the past though with vary levels of success LOL)
2018-1-5
Use props
DJT_MVSP
Second Officer
Singapore

Do you see red lines all the time in DJI GO 4? (post a screenshot if you did)
2018-1-5
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Beginner mode will reduce response from given stick input, as will calibration. Won't stop it altogether though. Just worth checking I thought.
2018-1-5
Use props
Optiknerve
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJT_MVSP Posted at 2018-1-5 09:17
Do you see red lines all the time in DJI GO 4? (post a screenshot if you did)

Red lines where?
2018-1-5
Use props
DJT_MVSP
Second Officer
Singapore

2018-1-5
Use props
Optiknerve
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Yes, I did have some of that going on, but nothing was near me
2018-1-5
Use props
Imaginaria
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5233 ft
United States

Optiknerve Posted at 2018-1-5 14:36
Yes, I did have some of that going on, but nothing was near me

I ran into this problem.  I had the prop guards on, but I had put them on the wrong arms so the obstacle avoidance was seeing them.

Do you have prop guards on the aircraft?
2018-1-5
Use props
dj_dread
First Officer
Flight distance : 648399 ft
Romania

Imaginaria Posted at 2018-1-5 14:57
I ran into this problem.  I had the prop guards on, but I had put them on the wrong arms so the obstacle avoidance was seeing them.

Do you have prop guards on the aircraft?

you just enlightened me! thank you! i had the same issue several times but i never thought is the prop guards. now that you said, i checked them. indeed, two of them have a white mark..thank you!!
2018-1-5
Use props
Imaginaria
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5233 ft
United States

dj_dread Posted at 2018-1-5 15:11
you just enlightened me! thank you! i had the same issue several times but i never thought is the prop guards. now that you said, i checked them. indeed, two of them have a white mark..thank you!!

Glad I could contribute.  Happy flying!
2018-1-5
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Please make sure that you have removed the protection film on the Obstacle system and camera, and help to check if you are flying towards the strong light. The vision system might not work well when you haven't removed the film or flying towards the sun/strong light. If it is not your case, please provide me with a picture of the drone (shot it in front of it) and a screenshot of the transmission interface. Thank you.
2018-1-5
Use props
DJT_MVSP
Second Officer
Singapore

Optiknerve Posted at 2018-1-5 14:36
Yes, I did have some of that going on, but nothing was near me

Was the prop guards installed when you see those red lines?
2018-1-6
Use props
Optiknerve
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks all.  It appears I am dumber than I look!!  Had the prop guards installed on the wrong arms, repositioned and all working fine.  I hang my head in shame
2018-1-7
Use props
DJT_MVSP
Second Officer
Singapore

Optiknerve Posted at 2018-1-7 02:24
Thanks all.  It appears I am dumber than I look!!  Had the prop guards installed on the wrong arms, repositioned and all working fine.  I hang my head in shame

Not your fault, they all look very similar. Glad it's not defective.
Well I guess it's time for you to re-enable the obstacles avoidance feature.
Happy flying!
2018-1-7
Use props
djiuser_USMUO7b
lvl.1

Singapore

Happened to me too.the prop guards was on wrongly and it flys backwards when it RTH is triggered
2018-1-7
Use props
Kidologist
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4415722 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_USMUO7b Posted at 2018-1-7 05:44
Happened to me too.the prop guards was on wrongly and it flys backwards when it RTH is triggered

This happens to me, it is usually a no fly zone issue. but I've had it disable forward when I was NEAR a no fly zone.  . even tho I wasn't IN it.
2018-2-1
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

ever get this resolved and if so, what was the issue
2018-2-1
Use props
Flighty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

Wow,, some good info in this thread that helped solve a small issue, good stuff
2018-2-1
Use props
JZMays
lvl.1

I also had this issue and adjusting the prop guards fixed. There are small white dots on the top of two of them that need be matched with  the arm marked in the same manner.

Thanks everyone!
2018-4-4
Use props
Duncdude
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18491 ft
United Kingdom

Lesson learned for all new owners. Good input and a great resolution.
2018-4-5
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

JZMays Posted at 2018-4-4 23:50
I also had this issue and adjusting the prop guards fixed. There are small white dots on the top of two of them that need be matched with  the arm marked in the same manner.

Thanks everyone!

And isn't it really a taff task, to get them on the wrong arms?
That needs a lot more force, methinks.
2018-4-5
Use props
Hddeuce
lvl.4
Flight distance : 128261 ft
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-4-5 04:29
And isn't it really a taff task, to get them on the wrong arms?
That needs a lot more force, methinks.

No, they go on any of the motors with ease regardless if incorrect.
2018-4-5
Use props
cliffrubio
New
France

I had the same problem on my spark: it wouldn't fly forward or very slowly indoor. I fixed this when i disabled the obstacle avoidance. (beginner mod off, tripod mod off, sensor sticker removed)
2018-12-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules