Lesson learned about Ground Station
2688 11 2014-10-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
adamstw
lvl.1

United States

So I took the P2 out to try the Ground Station operation.After watching several videos I felt comfortable with how it operates. I went to a big open area at one of our schools parking lots that overlooks a large grass field. Downloaded the map and set my way points. What I missed was the return way point to have the P2 return to me. I saw a line automatically drawn from point 2 back home and mistook that to mean it would return on its own. I pressed Start and off it went. Got to point 2 and then just kept going. I should have pressed home but instead I toggled SW2 and tried to manually bring it back. I start loosing connection. By this time I couldn't tell where exactly I was at by the FPV. I guess I could have gone back to the Ground Station map view and seen where it was headed but didn't think of it I was beginning to panic as my P2 was not lost somewhere over the north side ot town. The thought my P2 had just flown away was sinking in and not feeling good.

I finally went back to the map and could seethe last flight path so I jumped in my truck and head to find the location. Aftera bout 10 minutes I found the street and zoomed in to find the last known location. I looked all around the houses where it showed as the last location and nothing. I search the big trees thinking it might have gotten caught in the top of a tree. No luck. Just as I was about to give up I thought maybe it had flown further than the last mapped location so I drove around the block and sawit in the front yard of a house. What a relief that was. Here is some picture of the map from my phone.

This is the over view.

The red X is where I found it.

2014-10-25
Use props
robbin.bergqvis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 59839 ft

Croatia

I have never used the ground station, im a 2 week vision plus owner.

But i have done a route just to see how it looks, and exactly as you wrote, the app makes a line to homepoint automatically,  so you mean that its not enough, do i have to click and make a checkpoint at home also?
2014-10-25
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7 ft
United Kingdom

Glad you got it back  and thats a good point to bring up for folks  who have never used the ground station app.
I have never used it myself  but thanks for the info and so what is the procedure for getting it home ? just tap the screen at your start point .
2014-10-25
Use props
greg.barnes
New

Australia

xzgraham@btinte Posted at 2014-10-26 05:02
Glad you got it back  and thats a good point to bring up for folks  who have never used the ground s ...

I'm flying the Phantom 2 Vision + in Ground Station and it always creates an automatic track back to the home point using the height set for the last waypoint. I then flick the S1 switch down and up to regain manual control to land it.

2014-10-25
Use props
adamstw
lvl.1

United States

Mine went to way point 1 & 2 just fine and then kept on the heading it was on when it went to way point 2. It did not come back home. I remember on the youtube video the guy set a 3rd way point back to where he was at. I didn't do that. I should have been able to press the return home but I panicked and flipped the SW2 to give manual control but I did not recognize anything on the FPV to know if it was coming or going.  Then I started getting the Lost Connection error and even saw the Returning Home message several times but the battery finally gave out and it went down.

I just wanted to warn people to add that last way point back to where you are.
2014-10-26
Use props
jruss1966
lvl.1

United States

You should have hit fail safe on controller or app or just turned controller off and it would have went into fail safe on its own and returned to home.
2014-10-26
Use props
jruss1966
lvl.1

United States

jruss1966 Posted at 2014-10-26 21:40
You should have hit fail safe on controller or app or just turned controller off and it would have w ...

I have never have had to set the last waypoint to be the home point it automatically sets it itself. You might want to connect to computer and check all upgrades
2014-10-26
Use props
shlepr
New

United States

I've used Ground Station a bunch of times and never had to set the last waypoint. It always came back to the starting point. Once it was at the starting point, it would say 'Mission Complete', then hover at that altitude until I took control. Sometimes I would take manual control, and sometimes I would just hit the 'Return to Home' button and the P2V+ would just land itself and shutdown.
2014-10-26
Use props
adamstw
lvl.1

United States

Well it sure didn't return on its own. Here is what the software says.

2014-10-26
Use props
skymaker6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 49009 ft
United States

No sure if you have checked out this YouTube video, but this guys does a great job using the ground station:

Also here is another great video :

You may have to restart it, but this guy is good.

Happy to see that you got it back.

2014-10-26
Use props
DJI-Blair
lvl.2

China

Glad to hear you got it back.
To use the returning home function, please remember to record the home point.
During the GS process, you can flick the S1 switch down and up to regain control .
(The page 28 in the manual)
2014-10-26
Use props
adamstw
lvl.1

United States

Thanks!

So my P2 should have returned back to the Home Point? If you look on the first picture it shows a blue bubble with an H making the home Spot where I started. Wouldn't that mean the P2 had a good home spot?

Also, at the top it says 3576 ft does that mean my AP was communicating with the P2 at that distance?

2014-10-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules