Well I Now Realize OTG is a NO GO
1779 7 2018-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CaptCraig
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32251 ft
United States

This is a very old subject but looking for opinions. As I have experienced first hand after the latest firmware update, it is unfortunate and very apparent that DJI will not support the use of the OTG cable and I assume they will not do so anytime soon. My own evidence showed me when the OTG cable is plugged in, all Spark telemetry is disabled in the Go4 app, this now makes me nervous flying via wifi only, I have DJI Care coverage until 8/2018 so in the event of a flyaway, it will get replaced. I'd like to know few things, how does everyone feel about this.

1. Can I purchase another DJI Care plan after the one I have now is expired?
2. What is the real reason DJI does not support the use of the OTG cable?
3. Now that this is the case, what phone settings should I have turned off or on when in wifi mode? Thanks in advance.

Multiple choiceVote: ( Up to 3 entry optional ), Total 6 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

30.00% (3)
50.00% (5)
0.00% (0)
20.00% (2)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-1-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

1/ if you have a flyaway Care refresh is no good unless you find your drone.
2/ no you can’t purchase Care refresh again when first and only one runs out.
3/ you live in US there are no real problems with no otg in US.
4/ official line is otg has not been tested YET.
Your poll is confusing you need to think of a question to go with it as it is multiple choice it is very one sided so while it’s clear that almost everyone would welcome the option of otg, I’m not really sure what will come out of this that is not already known already.
Good Luck.
2018-1-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-7 11:03
1/ if you have a flyaway Care refresh is no good unless you find your drone.
2/ no you can’t purchase Care refresh again when first and only one runs out.
3/ you live in US there are no real problems with no otg in US.

Perfect response - I don't know what I'm suppose to be voting for and two of the choices are identical?!
2018-1-7
Use props
dansmar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 422149 ft
United States

Otg in the US is still preferred by many - gives less lag on video feed, downloads images from AC to phone more quickly - wired solutions will always be superior to wireless.

But DJI states they are working on it, so I am personally waiting. Many are using old DJI softwate or hacked apps etc..

Waiting patiently is good, but also keeping this issue at the forefront especially for the European users affected even more with range issues
2018-1-7
Use props
Dipsy46
lvl.2
Flight distance : 46263 ft
United States

I have tried OTG but as everyone has noted, it is not supported and does not work with the current versions of iOS DJI Go 4. I do not notice any difference in video lag, etc, and since I live in the US, I don't really need it, wi-fi works just fine.

But, I do have a reason for wanting it. My new iPad does not have cell, since I use wifi to connect to my iPhone when I need to access the internet. So, if I could use OTG, that would free up my iPad to connect to the internet to update maps, etc. So, I'm still in favor of DJI making OTG work with Sparky.
2018-1-7
Use props
lelie21
lvl.2
Flight distance : 126867 ft
Switzerland

i just buy OTG cable, and happy with, to free my wifi data, and I see OTG is no more well supported? first damned! so, maybe offline map may save the things... oh nooooo no more offline map!?? double damned!
does DJI want to avoid my chance to fly safe with data and map? no any other regressions with te last update?
2018-1-7
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

-My own evidence showed me when the OTG cable is plugged in, all Spark telemetry is disabled in the Go4 app, -

It is not disabled, you "only" don't see 'em on your device.
All telemetry is IN THE FLIGHT records but switched of from being displayed on screen.
Even the audio warnings (max height, homepoint record and such) are given.

I still fly with OTG
And will continue:
2018-1-7
Use props
lelie21
lvl.2
Flight distance : 126867 ft
Switzerland

Hi all.
First fly with OTG and excepted telemetry annoyingly missing, all went well, good transmission, good distance fly (here in Europe due to limited 5.8ghz).
But, I was usually approaching the drone to me before the RTH limit, and I was about to carefully land when RTH suddenly activate AUTOMATICALLY, no pop-up prompt and cancel option. At the speed of 2m/s climb, it quickly hit electric cable 8meters above.
Propellers dead.

What the F...? RTH activate totally auto without warning...

I complain to DJI and wait for response.

Be very careful with OTG. DJI go don't react like usually!

2018-1-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules