Cracked crossbar
2645 29 2015-4-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
roy
lvl.2

United States

My Inspire is just a few weeks old and only has a few hours of flight on it. It’s never been crashed and always been transported in the OEM case. Today I noticed that one of the thin crossbars has a crack in it. The rest of the drone is spotless.

I attached pictures. I feel like this might be a factory defect because there has been zero impact or abuse. I’ve treated it with kid gloves. Has anyone heard of this happening?
20150421_173638.jpg 20150421_173649.jpg
Is it safe to fly like this? I don't want to risk any accidents. But for all I know it's been like this since I got it but just noticed the problem. So now I'm afraid to fly even though it's been fine until now.

Is this a part that I can get so I can replace it? Seems easy enough to fix, I don’t want to have to send my drone in for service just for this but I do want it fixed.
2015-4-21
Use props
Monkeyking
lvl.2

China

I wouldn't fly it in it's present condition. If you really didn't bang it up, then it's definitely a warranty claim. DJI won't replace it under warranty without sending in I am guessing. Would be an easy replacement if you can find the part. You guys in the US seem to have a shortage, in China we don't seem to have this problem.
2015-4-21
Use props
roy
lvl.2

United States

I didn't bang it up. Never been crashed and I haven't had a chance to fly it a whole lot yet. Either it came this way and I didn't notice or the part arrived with some sort of weakness which caused the crack to slowly build. There aren't even any scratches or dents adjacent to the crack which you would expect if there was an impact.

Since the big arm running from the body to the landing gear is intact I'm not sure what would happen if the smaller arm failed during flight. How would this affect anything? Looking closely, this smaller arm doesn't seem to have any purpose of its own other than to provide stability. Seems like if it broke in flight the quad would be good for at least one landing and then I could ground it. I have to fly today and then I can ground myself until it is repaired. But I don't see a repair coming any time in the near future thanks to the unavailability of parts.

Is flying in this condition a reeeeaaaalllllly bad idea?
2015-4-22
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I think you've got no option than to send it back for repair. Though, if it were me and I had actually caused the issue, then I'd probably try to repair it myself. The turnaround time is usually quite long.
2015-4-22
Use props
roy
lvl.2

United States

Why would you only want to fix it if you caused the damage yourself? Seems like the hassle of sending it in and waiting to get it back is less desirable. Looks like a really easy part to replace if you can get it. Assuming of course the price of the part is reasonable, which it may not be.

Plus there is probably a very good chance I'll send it to DJI and they'll claim I did the damage anyway (I did not). I'd be happy to pay a reasonable amount for this part and do it myself if I can get it. Just to avoid the hassle of sending the whole thing in and being gounded for a prolonged time.

Still wondering what the risks are of flying it this way? What's going to happen if it breaks? It doesn't look to me like the landing gear or anything else would fail. I need to fly today and then I can ground myself while waiting for a way to fix this.
2015-4-22
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

roy@netraction. Posted at 2015-4-22 22:21
I didn't bang it up. Never been crashed and I haven't had a chance to fly it a whole lot yet. Either ...

If it lets go that arm holds the position of the main motors boom in correct orientation for transformation from gear down to gear up ! Keeping the main booms in correct position ..
It may still fly with one arm snapped but you may really have your hands full at that moment ..
Epoxy ?? No .     find the part it's out there and bet it's not much $$...try  multi copter warehouse , uav direct , or maybe inteligent UAS...or eBay may have a link to the parts ....
2015-4-22
Use props
smcbrearty
lvl.3

Look through the forum posts, there was a buy that listed he had tons of spare parts, not to sure if that piece was available but worth a try.
2015-4-22
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Do not fly it in this condition.

My first Inspire strut/rod came out of its socket on the aircraft in mid flight and the aircraft went into an uncontrollable spin.  It was a struggle to get it to land.

So from my experience, if that rod breaks in flight you're in trouble.  Get it replaced under warranty as its obviously not fit for purpose.
2015-4-22
Use props
roy
lvl.2

United States

Oh crap. Thanks for the advice guys.

I talked to DJI about this today and their only solution was send it in for 5-6 weeks. And then pray they don't try to charge me for the repair because they think it was my fault.

Finding this part is not going to be fun...
2015-4-22
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

roy@netraction. Posted at 2015-4-23 01:37
Oh crap. Thanks for the advice guys.

I talked to DJI about this today and their only solution was s ...

Ok worst case at present is you have to pay for a new strut, but it is unlikely as it shouldn't have cracked like that if the material was fit for purpose.  If its is going to crack like this then DJI should be changing the material to stainless steel or something stronger than it is at present.

On the other side of the coin, if you don't send it back, and continue to fly, it will at some point break right through and that could end up in a complete crash with a very expensive bill.  Then DJI may turn round and say its your own fault, you new it was defective, but did not return it for repair when first reported therefore warranty void.  

Isn't really an option, send it back or take it to the dealer you purchased it from and let him sort it.  If the dealer can't sort it ask for a refund.
2015-4-22
Use props
Monkeyking
lvl.2

China

as a temporary fix, you might consider using epoxy and another carbon tube and "splinting" the broken arm. Hobby shops should have various size hollow carbon tubes used in RC plane and heli's. It's a common enough repair. Your local hobby store or RC forum can help with the little details. The most import factor is to find a tube that will fit snugly over the broken shaft.... The additional weight will be minimal and should be an issue for CG.
2015-4-22
Use props
sbarryjackson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18931532 ft
  • >>>
United States

Monkeyking Posted at 2015-4-22 12:58
I wouldn't fly it in it's present condition. If you really didn't bang it up, then it's definitely a ...

So you are saying that in China you can buy that strut and other carbon fiber parts for this?
2015-4-22
Use props
Monkeyking
lvl.2

China

I have been checking so far no carbon parts are advertised, but just about everything else....
2015-4-22
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

roy@netraction. Posted at 2015-4-22 22:56
Why would you only want to fix it if you caused the damage yourself? Seems like the hassle of sendin ...

I think you have your answer with the 4-5 weeks repair time. Plus they are going to charge you for the repair, plus shipping. Plenty of model shops sell carbon bars/tubes of various thickness, you could try sourcing one, or you could wrap in fibreglass and resin it. You can get very fine fibreglass sheet these days.

Or wait 4-5 weeks for DJI to repair.
2015-4-22
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

It's a reeeeaaaalllllly bad idea flying in this condition.
My suggestion is contact NA Support and let them do the repair work. Hard to take it off.
2015-4-23
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Cant agree with Autumn enough.  Don't fly it mate, its really not worth the risk.

From my experience if that rod fails in mid flight and you can't control it, your in deep pain.

I was lucky that I was able to land my previous aircraft after the strut failed, but wouldn't like to go through the experience again.
2015-4-23
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

The epoxy would already have been drying on mine before I had a chance to start yet another, 2 month turnaround thread.
(ugly B model you have there, the A model is sturdier).

Bob
2015-4-23
Use props
roy
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-4-23 17:47
It's a reeeeaaaalllllly bad idea flying in this condition.
My suggestion is contact NA Support and l ...

Thanks for all the advice guys. I decided to ground myself but I can't be grounded for 5-6 weeks waiting for DJI. No shops have this part but I found a guy on eBay selling it and I paid $70 with shipping. I'm sure that's too much but it beats the alternative of not flying. Even if I DJI ended up covering the cost of the repair I'd rather not wait 5-6 weeks.

Now, looking at the bird it really doesn't look all that hard to replace the tube. Seems like I can just loosen a few screws, take the old one out and put the new one in. Is it more complicated than that? Is this going to be a difficult repair?
2015-4-23
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

roy@netraction. Posted at 2015-4-24 07:36
Thanks for all the advice guys. I decided to ground myself but I can't be grounded for 5-6 weeks w ...

As long as you handle it gently and don't over torque the screws, you will be fine...Never force anything or it will snap...just handle it with extreme care
2015-4-23
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

roy@netraction. Posted at 2015-4-24 07:36
Thanks for all the advice guys. I decided to ground myself but I can't be grounded for 5-6 weeks w ...

They probably glued the ends in Roy.
This bird could easily be an ARF, so they glued the living shit outta everything like koks, then called it RTF.
If the rod is glued, soak it in acetone or steal the ol lady's nail polish remover.
Your gonna shitcan the rod anyways so don't let it mess with you too much.

Bob
2015-4-23
Use props
roy
lvl.2

United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-24 11:00
They probably glued the ends in Roy.
This bird could easily be an ARF, so they glued the living sh ...

Thanks for the advice Bob!

Once I get the original rod out should I glue the new one back in? If so, what kind of glue?
UGH! Sorry for the multiple, identical responses below. Browser issue. Wish there was a way to delete our posts.

2015-4-23
Use props
roy
lvl.2

United States

delete double post
2015-4-23
Use props
roy
lvl.2

United States

delete triple post
2015-4-23
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

roy@netraction. Posted at 2015-4-24 15:14

Once I get the original rod out should I glue the new one back in? If  ...

Roy, I would use a little clear silicon on the ends just to eliminate any little bit of slop there may be -
(you can get some in any local hardware store in the toothpaste size, (u don't need a caulk tube of it)

Bob
2015-4-24
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

roy@netraction. Posted at 2015-4-24 15:14

Once I get the original rod out should I glue the new one back in? If s ...

U can't delete but u can EDIT your posts and erase everything, then type "Delete" so If Ed comes thru he can delete it.
He typically comes by every 2 days and simply clicks on my username, then deletes half of my posts, then leaves.
(forget about deleting the Troll posts made to bait me into an unsavory reply, leave those posts)

Bob
2015-4-24
Use props
roy
lvl.2

United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-24 22:06
Roy, I would use a little clear silicon on the ends just to eliminate any little bit of slop there ...

Thanks.

So something like this? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... Id=E3DF56GE6RRTIBAG
2015-4-24
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

roy@netraction. Posted at 2015-4-25 01:01
Thanks.

So something like this? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... Id=E3DF56GE6RRTIBAG

Exactly -

Bob
2015-4-24
Use props
roy
lvl.2

United States

So I got the replacement part and it has the plastic fittings on both ends so I don't need to worry about using a solvent to take it apart.

Problem is I can't figure out how to get the existing carbon fiber bar out so I can put the new one in. Fortunately this rod doesn't have wires running through it like the fat tube does. But it's still a challenge to get the rod out. I've tried a few approaches but I haven't been able to get to it.

Can anyone offer some advice?

I have a feeling the top shell needs to come off but I can't figure out how for the life of me, I've taken out every screw and it still won't budge. It might be the type of piece that has to be pulled apart to be unsnapped but I'm afraid of breaking it, seems like I'd have to pull a good distance to get it apart.

So close yet so far. This is really frustrating!
2015-5-1
Use props
james.linzer
New

United States

roy@netraction. Posted at 2015-5-2 08:38
So I got the replacement part and it has the plastic fittings on both ends so I don't need to worry  ...

Roy Can u post a link of where to get a replacement cross bar please? Thanks
2015-5-5
Use props
roy
lvl.2

United States

james.linzer Posted at 2015-5-6 13:45
Roy Can u post a link of where to get a replacement cross bar please? Thanks

I bought it on eBay. This is the seller's current listings: http://www.ebay.com/sch/n2476rom ... rmrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

He doesn't have any rods listed but I am pretty sure he has the one on the left with the nose pointing at you. I bought the one on the other side. You might want to contact him via eBay and ask if he still has it. Even if you want the one on the right side, I think he might have more.

Word of warning if you are replacing this yourself. I finally got it replaced but it is not easy!
2015-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules