Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 891404 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Time for a DJI Care Refresh.

I recently bought a new battery for ol Sparky and the first time I put it in, it popped off the camera at about 30cm off the ground. Put it back in and it popped out again. A smart man would have noted which of the batteries this was and not used it again. I am not such a man. Today I had the Spark up around 30m when to my great surprise the battery popped off and it, and the Spark, fell to the ground. Thankfully, I could retreive it so I can send it in for a Refresh under DJI Care. I'm not sure what to do with the battery, since that isn't covered.

Notwithstanding this little mishap, the drone survived falling out of the sky and a hard landing with only a hairline crack in one of the arms. I swapped batteries and was able to get back in the air without a problem... I'm impressed with the little guy's durability, to be honest.

I was much less impressed with my screen locking in the updated DJI Go app at this garbled mess (screenshot attached). As much as I love the Spark, I'm so incredibly disappointed with how badly deteriorated the Go software has become. Its a shame and a real problem.
2018-01-08 13.11.36x.jpg
2018-1-8
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Though the defective battery should be covered under normal DJI warranty...correct?
2018-1-8
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-8 12:33
Though the defective battery should be covered under normal DJI warranty...correct?

Looks like it. It is going back to DJI with the Spark to be refreshed.
2018-1-8
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

SeanGalbraith Posted at 2018-1-8 12:41
Looks like it. It is going back to DJI with the Spark to be refreshed.

Great...glad everything worked out okay for you
2018-1-8
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Just a practical hint. I have six batteries and they are all numbered with a little sticker on the inside, also to make sure I use them equally one after the other.
2018-1-8
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-8 13:16
Just a practical hint. I have six batteries and they are all numbered with a little sticker on the inside, also to make sure I use them equally one after the other.

+1...I do the same
2018-1-8
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Just a practical hint. I have six batteries and they are all numbered with a little sticker on the inside, also to make sure I use them equally one after the other.

A great suggestion!
2018-1-8
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Thank you :-)
2018-1-8
Use props
VenomousSVT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5492 ft
United States

its a great practice to have.. i only have the 2 that I got with mine but I run one, stick it in upside down then run the other.  Then once they are both low I charge them together.  Numbering them is an awesome way of tracking if you get poor results out of a pack as well.  And if you replace a pack (lets say number 2) continue naming them higher and higher. This is a good way of tracking the age of the packs also.

~edit~ I wanted to add, both my batteries "feel" rock solid when they lock in, however reading the horror stopies of them popping out, I bought a plastic strap that connects to the rear arms and holds the battery in place.
2018-1-8
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Is it "normal" for the battery to still think it is "on" after it pops off?
2018-1-8
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Also, that battery strap sounds handy... Though, does it just catch the battery, or does it extra lock it in place so it won't pop out at all?
2018-1-8
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

SeanGalbraith Posted at 2018-1-8 13:30
Is it "normal" for the battery to still think it is "on" after it pops off?

I could well imagine, the one who suddenly stops thinking anything is the part that was attached to the battery ;-)
2018-1-8
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Also, that battery strap sounds handy... Though, does it just catch the battery, or does it extra lock it in place so it won't pop out at all?

The one I have seen (look out for the relevant posts here in the forum) literally put an extra lock to the battery but also some extra weight (not much I believe). Still a good battery should stick into the Spark as it comes. The locking mechanism might have been defective with that particular one. If yes, you actually should not go for care refresh, but for warranty only.
2018-1-8
Use props
Brambleman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20627 ft
United States

Great idea, thank you!
2018-1-8
Use props
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
Flight distance : 82323 ft
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-8 13:45
The one I have seen (look out for the relevant posts here in the forum) literally put an extra lock to the battery but also some extra weight (not much I believe). Still a good battery should stick into the Spark as it comes. The locking mechanism might have been defective with that particular one. If yes, you actually should not go for care refresh, but for warranty only.

I bought a pair, but haven't used either yet, so this is from memory when the package came. I always test my batteries just before lying by gripping them on the sides, away from the buckles, and trying (not too much force, but not wimping out either) to tug & twist a bit for peace of mind she's 100% in there firmly.

Anyway, it's a simple little piece (rubber? plastic? not 100% sure) that goes around the attached battery (installing it from the rear) and then it snugly grips & holds along both sides of the battery (without interfering with the buckles in any way) and then the piece reaches forward on both sides to positively clip onto the rear motor arms (similar to how other things attach there). Can't fall (at least theoretically). It also has 4 small thru-holes in the rear portion so as not to obstruct visibility of the battery LED status lights. Sits above and also doesn't interfere with easy access to the battery's button.

Found it on Amazon, it was cheap & came with two, so pulled the trigger & added 'em to the kit. Obviously does no good if I don't use it, but if I ever have a pack whose lock seemed iffy, I'd consider using the safety clip (or mebbe just RMA it and be done with it if it's still under warranty).

Joe
2018-1-8
Use props
PS013
First Officer
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

Spaceman_66 Posted at 2018-1-8 13:59
I bought a pair, but haven't used either yet, so this is from memory when the package came. I always test my batteries just before lying by gripping them on the sides, away from the buckles, and trying (not too much force, but not wimping out either) to tug & twist a bit for peace of mind she's 100% in there firmly.

Anyway, it's a simple little piece (rubber? plastic? not 100% sure) that goes around the attached battery (installing it from the rear) and then it snugly grips & holds along both sides of the battery (without interfering with the buckles in any way) and then the piece reaches forward on both sides to positively clip onto the rear motor arms (similar to how other things attach there). Can't fall (at least theoretically). It also has 4 small thru-holes in the rear portion so as not to obstruct visibility of the battery LED status lights. Sits above and also doesn't interfere with easy access to the battery's button.

Something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076WZVM89 I guess ;)

or same here https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077D1H7XT

2018-1-8
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Same here (but with 5 batteries). Used my label maker to number the batteries and label my equipment with name and phone number just in case.

BTW, the battery is covered for 6 months as long as it's not cycled too many times. Correct?
2018-1-8
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Sorry for the crash, have you contacted the DJI Support to start a case? If not, please refer to the following link to contact them, then provide me with your case number, thanks.
https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav  
2018-1-8
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Bing Err Posted at 2018-1-8 17:32
Same here (but with 5 batteries). Used my label maker to number the batteries and label my equipment with name and phone number just in case.

BTW, the battery is covered for 6 months as long as it's not cycled too many times. Correct?

Yes, this is what I have understood as well.
2018-1-9
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-1-8 23:32
Sorry for the crash, have you contacted the DJI Support to start a case? If not, please refer to the following link to contact them, then provide me with your case number, thanks.
https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav

I have contacted them and they started a case. I'm just waiting for the email with the instructions to ship the drone in for a refresh.
2018-1-9
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use a Sharpie permanent marker to mark mine.  
2018-1-9
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

SeanGalbraith Posted at 2018-1-9 07:16
I have contacted them and they started a case. I'm just waiting for the email with the instructions to ship the drone in for a refresh.

Okay, we'll take care of it after it arrives, hope everything goes well, should you have any questions about this case, please feel free to provide me with your case number, I'll check it for you.
2018-1-9
Use props
VenomousSVT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5492 ft
United States

PS013 Posted at 2018-1-8 16:58

was away form my desk all day yesterday, the second you posted are exactly the amazon store I got mine from.  They match the color of the frame and fit great... they weigh next to nothing and the extra insurance means I'll never have to consider the idea of mine popping out
2018-1-10
Use props
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
Flight distance : 82323 ft
United States

PS013 Posted at 2018-1-8 16:58

The 2nd link you listed was the one I bought, but the other one looks to be of much the sameness. Cheap, light  & easy. I like stuff like that. But I still always try (reasonably gently) to see if I can force it off after it clicks in. Battery falling out in flight at altitude = pretty much guaranteed nightmare. Shudder...

Joe
2018-1-10
Use props
djiuser_AelmS8J
lvl.1
Denmark

2018-1-17
Use props
flyby-1717
lvl.1
Flight distance : 59567 ft
Switzerland

My mavic pro platinum dropped like a stone from the sky few days ago. It was two weeks old drone.  I'm seeing many posts with battery popping out!

Unfortunately my drone fell into the river and I could not retrieve it. it was less than 150 ft height and 100 ft from me. The batteries were at 100%, clear weather, no obstacles, 100& signal and the log as well the video shows no error on my part.

I hope DJI support will inspect the log carefully, review such cases of drone falling from the sky and honor the manufacturers warranty with product replacement,.
2018-8-28
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
Second Officer

Hungary

Solve 1. problem: https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?spm=2114.search0104.8.3.485c6656TsbSfA&initiative_id=QRW_20180828131014&SearchText=abs+battery+buckle+holder+battery&productId=32868082060
Solve problem 2: go back to v00.00701 firmware version with the DJI Assistant2 software or hold down the DJI Go 4 app in the upper right corner of the 3 line icon for 3 seconds and select the firmware. If the Spark is not connected, the RC firmware will be displayed.
Then reinstall the Go 4 app. V. 4.1.15 version (the last one in which all functions work)

Good luck! and do not fix what is not broken!

2018-8-28
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Doesn't the battery on the Mavic, that fell in the river, mount on top?  How would it pop out?  Flying inverted?
2018-8-28
Use props
Wolferl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23793 ft
Austria

Very good idea. Have just marked my 3 batteries
2018-8-29
Use props
Greg - TheHuski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 944308 ft
Australia

I have 3 Batteries on my Spark... 2 that came in the Fly more combo and one I purchased extra at the same time.   The extra battery needs more force when i click it into the drone as well on the charging hub.  I take extra care to make sure they all click into place.     Might start using a Thick rubber band over drone just in case..
2018-8-29
Use props
Eric ten Veen
New
Flight distance : 33599 ft
Netherlands

I lost my battery when i was flying my drone at 80 meters high , i had checked it before i was going to fly the drone in to the sky but some how it popped out of the spark and it was a new battery.
I allways check if the battery is locked good but some how when i went in sport mode it popped out.
To all of you guy's make sure you buy a battery protector to make sure you won't lose it.
The drone has no damage but i lost the battery in in a big field and got not find it back.
Learned my lesson with this one....
2018-9-6
Use props
Flighty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

After my Battery popped out and drone crashed,, DJi repaired the drone and replaced the battery!! warranty,,,
2018-9-6
Use props
English Muffin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 16129 ft
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-1-9 18:51
Okay, we'll take care of it after it arrives, hope everything goes well, should you have any questions about this case, please feel free to provide me with your case number, I'll check it for you.

Diane,

Seems like you are quite aware of the battery falling out issue. Would it be possible for you to look into my case (CAS-2227091-V8S7P9) I had my battery fall out at 265ft. I received a quote Sep 25th but feel it should be covered under the warranty as this is known issue that DJI address in late 2017 by making the battery tabs larger. My battery was made in July 2017. I have emailed DJI  support 3 times since getting the quote and had no response. Any help would be great.

Thank you
Andrew
2018-10-2
Use props
English Muffin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 16129 ft
United States

So be warned. If you use a 3rd party app, like Litchi, DJI will not cover any damage under the warranty, even if the damage wasn’t caused by the app. I have been going back an forth with them reguarding the battery falling out. No matter how much I explained the issue, I was told it wasn’t covered because I was using Litchi. This is really crappy on their part because they knew there was a problem with the battery and made a change to the battery tabs in Nov or Dec 2017, to make them larger. So if you going to use something other than the official DJI app, you use it at your own risk.
2018-10-12
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

I dont think anyone replied to this thought...  yes, my battery strap prevents any motion of the battery, so even if the clips failed, it would maintain the connection and the drone would not power off.
2018-10-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules