2316 55 2018-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mariuss
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2480515 ft
  • >>>
Norway

So im looking for an upgrade up from the P4S. My main reason for upgrading is the camera. The reviews on YT is often vague and biased so looking for someone with first hand experience.

That being said is the 5.8Ghz and the extra lateral/aft sensors worth it ? (please correct me if i forgot something that separates the P and A).

I've noticed, the lateral sensors is only working in tripod and beginner mode? Do they work if RTH is initiated?

Is the plus edition worth the extra cost?

All replies is appriciated!

2018-1-16
Use props
Rvrrat14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 655932 ft
United States

I’ve never flow a pro but did a lot of studying before I settled on a Advanced.  Been flying it for over 6 months and have loved it.   No regrets on my part.
2018-1-16
Use props
Toorboy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 657382 ft
United Kingdom

hi Mariuss 3rd party apps do not work on the plus so if you use litchi
forget the plus man the advance had a few less sensors and no 5.8ghz
both cameras are identical. iv had my advance 3 months now and no regrets
I upgraded from the P3P it to was a nice bird

sensors don't work in sport mode but do in RTH as far as I am aware
but I never use them I turned off the VPS as I like to fly over water
2018-1-16
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

"That being said is the 5.8Ghz and the extra lateral/aft sensors worth it ?"

Is the P4P worth it?, I sure think so. I typically leave the freq alone in auto - chooses what it needs to work and haven't had any issues. I usually fly in S-mode (lightening fast too) but it's good to know the extra sesnors are there for added protection if I need them when flying in P-mode.

Oh most importantly, is the camera worth the extra on the P4P? 1000% - it takes some incredible photos and video.

Hopes this helps.
2018-1-16
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Get the Pro, don't get the +.  Bottom line, better remote, better distance then the Advance.  The sensors don't really make a huge difference.  I just went through the same research.  Also, it appears that DJI supports the firmware better on the Pro then the Advance.  Advance pilots are still waiting on Pano shots.  Just don't get the Pro+.
2018-1-16
Use props
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Second that the Pro+ don't accept any 3rd party apps other than Go4 ATM
2018-1-16
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree with the previous posters, get the Pro and not the + version. I went through the same ordeal a few months ago, decided on the Pro and have been very satisfied with it.
2018-1-16
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Toorboy Posted at 2018-1-16 05:56
hi Mariuss 3rd party apps do not work on the plus so if you use litchi
forget the plus man the advance had a few less sensors and no 5.8ghz
both cameras are identical. iv had my advance 3 months now and no regrets

Not using litchi as of now but thanks for the heads up!

2018-1-16
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2018-1-16 10:33
"That being said is the 5.8Ghz and the extra lateral/aft sensors worth it ?"

Thanks M.C!

I rarely use S-mode as i mostly do slow panshots of construction sites etc. Have you tried latency tests regarding 2.4 vs 5.8?
2018-1-16
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-1-16 11:17
Get the Pro, don't get the +.  Bottom line, better remote, better distance then the Advance.  The sensors don't really make a huge difference.  I just went through the same research.  Also, it appears that DJI supports the firmware better on the Pro then the Advance.  Advance pilots are still waiting on Pano shots.  Just don't get the Pro+.

Thanks oracle!

How is it that the Pro has better distance with 5.8 included when the higher frequency should lower the range?
2018-1-16
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-1-16 11:54
I agree with the previous posters, get the Pro and not the + version. I went through the same ordeal a few months ago, decided on the Pro and have been very satisfied with it.

Wont go with the + then!

How is the current FW?

I see you fly alot and i guess you've had your share of FW issues as well. I'm currently on a late '16 update on the P4 and it has never failed. Not too fond of the latest FW regarding any of the models so i hope you can reply on the current for P4P
2018-1-16
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Mariuss Posted at 2018-1-16 22:47
Thanks oracle!

How is it that the Pro has better distance with 5.8 included when the higher frequency should lower the range?

It seem that DJI has jerked something in regard to the 2.4GHz making 5.8 a better choice, hopefully it get solved soon as 2.4 like you say should be better, specially outside FCC land.
2018-1-17
Use props
DNR 1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1689478 ft
United States

Yes, it is definitely worth the upgrade. The picture quality on the P4A and P4P is finally where it should be. I don't have the Pro but honestly have no regrets with the Advanced. The extra sensors wouldn't make a difference to me and as far as 5.8 Ghz goes, I can't say if that makes a range difference. On paper, the birds are at least 95% the same. I would like to see a real life range test between a P4A and P4P. Please let me know if that video exists. I can tell you I have 2.4 Ghz and 5.8 Ghz option on my wi-fi at home and it makes no difference that I can see.  I guess there was a recent update to the Pro version firmware that included a couple of extra features the Advanced version doesn't have, but at the same time, there have been reports of glitches with that update. So pick your poison I guess? Is the Pro version the beta test and Advanced will get once perfected? IDK, but the firmware differences sound like a mixed bag to me.
2018-1-17
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

DNR 1 Posted at 2018-1-17 02:06
Yes, it is definitely worth the upgrade. The picture quality on the P4A and P4P is finally where it should be. I don't have the Pro but honestly have no regrets with the Advanced. The extra sensors wouldn't make a difference to me and as far as 5.8 Ghz goes, I can't say if that makes a range difference. On paper, the birds are at least 95% the same. I would like to see a real life range test between a P4A and P4P. Please let me know if that video exists. I can tell you I have 2.4 Ghz and 5.8 Ghz option on my wi-fi at home and it makes no difference that I can see.  I guess there was a recent update to the Pro version firmware that included a couple of extra features the Advanced version doesn't have, but at the same time, there have been reports of glitches with that update. So pick your poison I guess? Is the Pro version the beta test and Advanced will get once perfected? IDK, but the firmware differences sound like a mixed bag to me.

One little comment, you are in the US (FCC), there's a lot of difference in range and stable video feed compared to other places with (CE), just check out the transmitter power in the specs.
2018-1-17
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

Why, in what way, please specify beside that is the one you have.
2018-1-17
Use props
Hracek
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1352083 ft
United States

Ok, I just want to clear something up that is really just bugging me REALLY BAD. THE REMOTE ON THE 2 DRONES ARE THE SAME! The Advanced DRONE just doesn't have the capability of communicating on the 5.8GHz frequency.
2018-1-17
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hracek Posted at 2018-1-17 07:38
Ok, I just want to clear something up that is really just bugging me REALLY BAD. THE REMOTE ON THE 2 DRONES ARE THE SAME! The Advanced DRONE just doesn't have the capability of communicating on the 5.8GHz frequency.

You sure about that?  That’s not at all what I’ve read on other forums.  I think they actually have two different model #’s as well.  I could be wrong though...
2018-1-17
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mariuss Posted at 2018-1-16 22:49
Wont go with the + then!

How is the current FW?

The latest P4P FW was too buggy so I rolled back to the previous version.
2018-1-17
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

KedDK Posted at 2018-1-17 00:18
It seem that DJI has jerked something in regard to the 2.4GHz making 5.8 a better choice, hopefully it get solved soon as 2.4 like you say should be better, specially outside FCC land.

Maybe Oracle experienced this somewhere with alot of 2.4 disturbance as well. we'll see!
2018-1-17
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

DNR 1 Posted at 2018-1-17 02:06
Yes, it is definitely worth the upgrade. The picture quality on the P4A and P4P is finally where it should be. I don't have the Pro but honestly have no regrets with the Advanced. The extra sensors wouldn't make a difference to me and as far as 5.8 Ghz goes, I can't say if that makes a range difference. On paper, the birds are at least 95% the same. I would like to see a real life range test between a P4A and P4P. Please let me know if that video exists. I can tell you I have 2.4 Ghz and 5.8 Ghz option on my wi-fi at home and it makes no difference that I can see.  I guess there was a recent update to the Pro version firmware that included a couple of extra features the Advanced version doesn't have, but at the same time, there have been reports of glitches with that update. So pick your poison I guess? Is the Pro version the beta test and Advanced will get once perfected? IDK, but the firmware differences sound like a mixed bag to me.

Thanks DNR!

On my wifi at home i experience radical differences for 2.4 and 5 ghz! Dont know about the power output on the DJI compared to Asus though.
2018-1-17
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

KedDK Posted at 2018-1-17 03:28
Why, in what way, please specify beside that is the one you have.

2nd this one! Please explain objectively why the SE is better than the P4P, im curious.
2018-1-17
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-1-17 07:49
You sure about that?  That’s not at all what I’ve read on other forums.  I think they actually have two different model #’s as well.  I could be wrong though...

The P4P and P4A have two different transmitter according to the specs. The only difference is  the 5.8 ghz-band. Though i'm not sure if the 5.8ghz-band is only deactivated in the advanced transmitter. I would guess they have removed the board.
2018-1-17
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-1-17 08:16
The latest P4P FW was too buggy so I rolled back to the previous version.

Thats sad to hear, through my hours of flight time i've never had to roll back. Is the process smooth?

See alot of threads on the FW n Betas and cant understand why Dji still puts out these "monopoly relaxed" FW's. I wonder who tests these and give it a green...
2018-1-17
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mariuss Posted at 2018-1-17 08:39
Thats sad to hear, through my hours of flight time i've never had to roll back. Is the process smooth?

See alot of threads on the FW n Betas and cant understand why Dji still puts out these "monopoly relaxed" FW's. I wonder who tests these and give it a green...

The rollback was easy. I connected the AC to my PC with Assistant 2 software, went to the firmware tab and clicked on the previous version, only took  a few minutes.
DJI has offered a beta version that fixes the issues but I think I'll wait until it's officially released.
2018-1-17
Use props
iFoxRomeo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1094856 ft
  • >>>
Germany

How big (in $) is the present difference between A and P? I took the P, because there was just a difference of 100€ for me at the time I bought mine. 5,8GHz has less maximum range. But if you fly in an area with lots of 2,4GHz WiFi(or similar) you will probably have a higher range with 5,8 then, because this frequency band should be less polluted. The additional 5,8GHz band gives you more channels to select from. Btw, the Remote Controller is the same for A and P, it's the GL300E series.
The rearward sensors are nice. They should prevent you from flying into a car or hill or bush when flying backwards, but they probably won't detect small branches without leaves.

Fox
2018-1-17
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-1-17 08:48
The rollback was easy. I connected the AC to my PC with Assistant 2 software, went to the firmware tab and clicked on the previous version, only took  a few minutes.
DJI has offered a beta version that fixes the issues but I think I'll wait until it's officially released.

Great, then it is as i did back on the P34K. At least that works as it should Even though i've seen people having issues there also.. Staying positive!
2018-1-17
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

iFoxRomeo Posted at 2018-1-17 11:27
How big (in $) is the present difference between A and P? I took the P, because there was just a difference of 100€ for me at the time I bought mine. 5,8GHz has less maximum range. But if you fly in an area with lots of 2,4GHz WiFi(or similar) you will probably have a higher range with 5,8 then, because this frequency band should be less polluted. The additional 5,8GHz band gives you more channels to select from. Btw, the Remote Controller is the same for A and P, it's the GL300E series.
The rearward sensors are nice. They should prevent you from flying into a car or hill or bush when flying backwards, but they probably won't detect small branches without leaves.

Thanks Fox!

Hopefully i'll never need the sensors (havent to this day either). But great to have either way!
2018-1-17
Use props
BigBlueTsunami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a P4P+. If you plan to use anything other than the DJI GO 4 app that is pre installed on the remote do as was said earlier in this thread and don’t buy the + contoller. I did, and two weeks later bought a standard controller so I could use my iPhone and iPad. I see uses for both, so I’m not sorry. The Pro+ controller has an HDMI port and I can connect the Goggles directly to it for HD, or even a large TV. But I can connect the Goggles to either controller USB post and get video and control the aircraft. So, it’s in what you want or need. The manual wasn’t really clear about the ability to use Goggles with the P4P+.It almost makes you think you can’t use the USB port and control the bird or the gimbal. But that’s only when viewing HDMI. I’ve swapped out the link 5 times in a week of having the second controller, so I’m fairly sure I have a need for both. I must say this though, the display on the Pro+ controller is much easier to see in bright daylight.

Jeff
2018-1-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

P4P with an iPad Mini 4 unless you have a tight budget.
2018-1-17
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

iFoxRomeo Posted at 2018-1-17 11:27

"Btw, the Remote Controller is the same for A and P, it's the GL300E series."
GL300E is the +RC, the one with buildin display, as already noted above is very limited compared to the standard RC. From recent posts it seem it can also now be used for the standard P4.

For the standard controller, P4A use GL300C but the P4P use GL300F and i think DJI say you can't use the other as replacement, not sure if it only is the C that can't be used for P4P and F can be used for P4A.
Very confusing all in all with those controllers.
2018-1-18
Use props
iFoxRomeo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1094856 ft
  • >>>
Germany

KedDK Posted at 2018-1-18 00:02
"Btw, the Remote Controller is the same for A and P, it's the GL300E series."
GL300E is the +RC, the one with buildin display, as already noted above is very limited compared to the standard RC. From recent posts it seem it can also now be used for the standard P4.

You‘re absolutely right. Sorry for my mistake. Interesting that the „plus“ contoller is the same for P4A and P4P, but the non-plus isn‘t.
So the P4A controller probably has no 5,8GHz capability.

Fox
2018-1-18
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

iFoxRomeo Posted at 2018-1-18 00:13
You‘re absolutely right. Sorry for my mistake. Interesting that the „plus“ contoller is the same for P4A and P4P, but the non-plus isn‘t.
So the P4A controller probably has no 5,8GHz capability.

Yes, as I was saying.
2018-1-18
Use props
Hracek
lvl.2
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-1-17 07:49
You sure about that?  That’s not at all what I’ve read on other forums.  I think they actually have two different model #’s as well.  I could be wrong though...

I'm positive about this, look on their store (https://store.dji.com/product/ph ... s-remote-controller)

How would they know whether or not you have the Pro or Adv at purchase, however this is only for the plus version of the RC's, my mistake for not stating that in the original post I made. But still, the remote works for both the Pro and Advanced.
2018-1-18
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hracek Posted at 2018-1-18 13:32
I'm positive about this, look on their store (https://store.dji.com/product/phantom-4-pro-plus-remote-controller)

How would they know whether or not you have the Pro or Adv at purchase, however this is only for the plus version of the RC's, my mistake for not stating that in the original post I made. But still, the remote works for both the Pro and Advanced.

Wrong, the + controllers are the same, but the standard Pro and Advanced controllers are different from one another and are NOT interchangeable with one another.
2018-1-19
Use props
Hracek
lvl.2
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-1-19 09:51
Wrong, the + controllers are the same, but the standard Pro and Advanced controllers are different from one another and are NOT interchangeable with one another.

Wrong? I literally stated in the post that you're replying on, that the + controllers are the same and that I forgot to mention the standard controllers are different in the original post, so I'm not wrong, I think you just didn't read everything and just started typing, little keyboard warrior.
2018-1-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I would choose the P4A (no +)
The extra sensors and 5.8hz don't seem worth the extra money.
2018-1-20
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

BigBlueTsunami Posted at 2018-1-17 14:06
I have a P4P+. If you plan to use anything other than the DJI GO 4 app that is pre installed on the remote do as was said earlier in this thread and don’t buy the + contoller. I did, and two weeks later bought a standard controller so I could use my iPhone and iPad. I see uses for both, so I’m not sorry. The Pro+ controller has an HDMI port and I can connect the Goggles directly to it for HD, or even a large TV. But I can connect the Goggles to either controller USB post and get video and control the aircraft. So, it’s in what you want or need. The manual wasn’t really clear about the ability to use Goggles with the P4P+.It almost makes you think you can’t use the USB port and control the bird or the gimbal. But that’s only when viewing HDMI. I’ve swapped out the link 5 times in a week of having the second controller, so I’m fairly sure I have a need for both. I must say this though, the display on the Pro+ controller is much easier to see in bright daylight.

Jeff

Thanks BigBlue!

As i currently have a P4 woth an iPad im actually okay with getting a Pro+. The main reason to be the brigthness of the screen. I currently use a iPad mini with a shadecover and I'm not satisfied with the lightning. I often adust the shutter to navigate and then reduce it again to shoot the scene, which is inconv.  As for the HDMI i would only use it to hook up an external TV for clients. I've never seen a external monitor hooked up to a DJI system. Have you tried? In case you have, did it work well?
2018-1-20
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

A CW Posted at 2018-1-17 14:45
P4P with an iPad Mini 4 unless you have a tight budget.

If i already have a Ipad mini for the P4S, would you still invest in another ipad mini 4? I would think the + would be better in this case in terms of the freedom of 3rd party apps?

2018-1-20
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-1-20 13:52
I would choose the P4A (no +)
The extra sensors and 5.8hz don't seem worth the extra money.

Yeah i see your point! I'm quite unsure about this. I'll have to do some reading i guess.
2018-1-20
Use props
Como Lake
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7481496 ft
Italy

the customer must ask these questions ... (the rest does not count anything between p4pro p3 p2 p1 etc. etc.): how reliable are the drones in terms of life? the electronics, on board, hold up 2 years of operation? (today I fly, I turn it on tomorrow and the drone signals contacting assistance) ... if I buy a new drone, this will be replaced with another one (obviously not new, with the exception of aesthetics) and the warranty is over, the How much does it cost and how does it work? many users are damaged by their estimates: even a scratch, involves the replacement of the drone and then the payment of the relevant piece. also labor for 2 hours at 50 euros per hour. buying the drone, do you have news about reporting faults? board alarms? how do you behave? on what (economic cost) do I really go against? I really think, that a customer has to ask these questions, DJI puts drones, we put the money. We must all work together, the problems are there, some will arrive, some of these will be resolved and others will take time ... but all this at the expense of the customer. it is too easy to blame Dji for accidents created, PREVENT is better than cure. If the drone factory is yours, you would not be willing to repay the people who had an accident, this remains a failure of the purpose.
2018-1-20
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules