About wifi and the Spark.
974 4 2018-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ve2cjw
New

Canada

I have read a lot of horror stories about the problems with wifi and the Spark. It seems that the transmission of video from the Spark to the smartphone (Android) is not reliable and that the software updates have not solved the problems. Lots of people are even talking about returning or selling their Spark. Since I'm thinking of buying a Spark and using an Android phone with it along with the controller,  I wonder if I should look at something else. Your comments are welcome. Thanks.
2018-1-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Most people will turn to forums for help with issues. There are probably hundreds of thousands of very happy Spark pilots out there but the Spark is not designed for long distance aerial photography and IOS is renowned to work more effectively with DJI drones. If you want to fly further than a few hundred metres then consider the Mavic if it fits your budget and buying a dedicated device (CrystalSky) or switch to IOS.
2018-1-19
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

I am using my Spark with Android devices only and do not regret the puchase at all! WiFi connection has its natural limits, this has to be accepted. The Occusync technology used for Mavic is much better, but it has it's price. But both are amazing drones offering a lot. And next Tuesday DJI will reveal a new drone that might become an interesting option for many, we'll see.
2018-1-19
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Flight distance : 166014 ft
Czechia

Well, probably the most disturbing problem, at least in the EU is the fact that European android devices does not support the 5,8GHz band. It means that you are stuck on 2,4GHz between the phone and the RC and 5,8 GHz between the RC and Spark. Due to much more strict regulations in Europe, this limits the range of the Spark to 50-100m (a lot less than advertised 500m ...). Don't know whether it concerns the Canada as well.

In the past there was a simple workaround to that by using an OTG cable. You used it to connect your phone to the RC and then you could use the 2,4GHz band between the RC and the Spark. That gave you a huge range boost - about 400m. Unfortunately, in newer versions of DJI GO 4 they broke it (it no longer shows essential flight info like height, speed, remaining battery capacity ...). The solution to that is to stick with an older version of DJI GO 4 4.1.15 that still supports OTG and works just fine.

The other problems are probably related to defective units as if it was a desing flaw, we would see much more of those.

As to whether buy the Spark or not .... at first you have to decide what are you looking for ? Do you want to take the panoramatic pictures ? Do you want a drone you can have some fun with as well ? Spark is ideal for both, it takes beautiful pictures and thanks to a sport mode you can even try some drone racing. Due to it's size and weight it's perfect for carrying it with you wherever you go and it is not as intimidating to other people as his larger brothers. Do you want to make movies ? Spark can do that too, but he is limited to full HD at 30fps. It's up to you whether it's enough or not. Mavic pro is definitelly better for that due to a better camera, video settings and longer flight time but it also weights more and costs more.

All in all, thanks to the fact that I can still use the older version of DJI GO 4 which gives me the range I need. I am really happy with the Spark. I have it since the last summer and despite the fact that sometimes I have both compass interferences (volcanic rocks) and weak GPS signal (deep valleys) it did not fly away from me yet .
2018-1-19
Use props
ve2cjw
New

Canada

Thanks guys for your opinions. I think I was seeing too many problems at once about the Spark.
2018-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules