9055 34 2018-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RGMGFitness
First Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

So, I recently saw a few articles pop up on the internet regarding a 'possible' release of a DJI SPARK 2.

https://www.halfchrome.com/spark-2/
https://camerajabber.com/dji-spark-2/

Now, I've not seen any confirmation of this from DJI and my initial thoughts are that if they were to release a DJI Spark 2 that perhaps they would have said something at the recent 2018 CES conference that took place here in the USA in Las Vegas, NV (Jan 9th - Jan 12th).   Sounds like a great idea and the possible improvements are right line line with my thoughts as a consumer.  

I guess I would be very surprised if DJI isn't currently working on this as the DJI Spark's a great product and a few minor improvements would make it an even better product for many just getting into the drone game.  Clearly, a few upgrades like; 4K, colapsable wings (making more portable), 3-axis gimble, water reistent/proof, longer flight times....we'll, just a thought.

2018-1-19
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ugh...I hope not
2018-1-19
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Pure speculation again without any basis. The following is not speculation, it will happen next Tuesday and I am really looking forward to it: https://forum.dji.com/thread-129677-1-1.html
2018-1-19
Use props
TexasAerials
Second Officer
Flight distance : 566952 ft
United States

Depending on what gets launched next week will depend on my next steps.  If there is a "mavic air" with similar specs to the current mavic at a current spark ($7-800) price it would be hard to justify not making the jump to a faster, longer flying, 3-axis 4k drone.  
2018-1-19
Use props
Sidd Finch
Second Officer
Flight distance : 256 ft
United States

I wonder if this obsoletes the Phantom line. Everyone likes the small fordable concept and the Phantom does neither.

Sidd
2018-1-19
Use props
Brambleman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20627 ft
United States

Sidd Finch Posted at 2018-1-19 10:38
I wonder if this obsoletes the Phantom line. Everyone likes the small fordable concept and the Phantom does neither.

Sidd

I'm wondering the same thing. The phantom 4 hasn't been updated in years, and i've seen so many comments in threads that their phantom stays parked while the spark goes out to play.
2018-1-19
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

TexasAerials Posted at 2018-1-19 10:34
Depending on what gets launched next week will depend on my next steps.  If there is a "mavic air" with similar specs to the current mavic at a current spark ($7-800) price it would be hard to justify not making the jump to a faster, longer flying, 3-axis 4k drone.

The last words of the teaser video: "are we ready for what's to come?" My clear answer is YES
2018-1-19
Use props
TexasAerials
Second Officer
Flight distance : 566952 ft
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-19 15:26
The last words of the teaser video: "are we ready for what's to come?" My clear answer is YES

Exactly.  I am not too picky either, if the new Autel Evo turns out to be a mavic killer at a lower price, it would be tough to stick with DJI for the sake of sticking with DJI.  I have a feeling that the Mavic 2 and/or rumored "Mavic Air" will not make me leave though.  
2018-1-19
Use props
kRx md
lvl.4
Flight distance : 158914 ft
Philippines

Hmm..I hope "not just yet" for a Spark 2. I just need actually batteries which lasts longer, more reliable software and some measure to lessen the chance of the dreaded 'flyaway'. That's it.
2018-1-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I think Spark2 will come eventually.
It is rather successful and deserves a second iteration.

But I'm not sure it will come soon, but only time will tell.  
2018-1-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sidd Finch Posted at 2018-1-19 10:38

Sidd

With the same 1" sensor, 100MBS bitrate and 30m flight time there might not be a need for a Phantom.
But I'm not sure if they can pack these into a smaller body.
We'll see.
2018-1-20
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

So, I guess we'll all find out tomorrow during the DJI Launch Event (Tuesday 1/23/18).  Can't wait to see what's launching.....in N.Y. (10am EST).   

URL:   LIVE.DJI.COM

2018-1-22
Use props
Spready
lvl.3
Flight distance : 70581 ft
United Kingdom

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/2 ... ks-ahead-of-launch/

Main Article with more pics..
https://dronedj.com/2018/01/22/s ... -panorama-and-more/
2018-1-22
Use props
slyfox0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118 ft
Canada

I wonder what the price of Mac Air will be. I still have a week one week to return DJI Spark Fly More combo. With the release of the new Air drone, I am having thoughts of uncertainty if I should keep the Spark or get the Air instead.
2018-1-22
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

interesting article, all speculations at this point.
2018-1-22
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Spready Posted at 2018-1-22 06:33
https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/2 ... ks-ahead-of-launch/

Main Article with more pics..

Ah, so I guess that answers that question.  They should have just called it a 'Spark 2'.  It looks just like the Spark (not the Mavic).  Also, the 3-axis gimbal is a plus.  But for 5-6 minutes of additional flight time.  In my opinion, not a big deal.

Certainly, not enough of an upgrade to want to run out and pick this up.  Collapsible wings, again..not a big deal.  I already have a great case to transport my Spark and that really doesn't seem like a big deal to me either.  Obviously, the 4K Video is a plus but will have to see what it looks like and how much of a difference it really is.  
2018-1-22
Use props
AdamTheGreat
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56991 ft
United States

I have until Feb 2 to return my Spark. But I have a feeling this thing will be impossible to get a hold of for a few months. Oh well, such is life I guess.
2018-1-22
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

AdamTheGreat Posted at 2018-1-22 06:59
I have until Feb 2 to return my Spark. But I have a feeling this thing will be impossible to get a hold of for a few months. Oh well, such is life I guess.

No worries...you'll love the Spark!  The newer product would have a different price point anyway.  
2018-1-22
Use props
AdamTheGreat
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56991 ft
United States

RGMGFitness Posted at 2018-1-22 07:20
No worries...you'll love the Spark!  The newer product would have a different price point anyway.

If it is more than $550, then it is out of my range anyways. Thanks for the good feels
2018-1-22
Use props
jimm00re
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1277503 ft
United States

I'm not quite sure we'll see a Spark 2 just yet. The Spark was announced in May, even in technology that would be a surprisingly short cycle. Even shorter would be the Spark Charging Station that just came the end of November.  I would guess one more year ay least.  Lets see what tomorrow brings. Literally, tomorrow
2018-1-22
Use props
DJT_MVSP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

The Spark 2 should have:
4K + 3 Axis stabilized gimbal
at least 20 minutes flight time
Front and Rear obstacles avoidance.
2018-1-22
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJT_MVSP Posted at 2018-1-22 11:12
The Spark 2 should have:
4K + 3 Axis stabilized gimbal
at least 20 minutes flight time

The Mavic air is the drone your looking for.  
2018-1-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-1-22 12:03
The Mavic air is the drone your looking for.

Yes, I think you are right.
Everything Spark has and a little more.
Now some of us will complain about missing features for sure, but this might be a nice drone.
Some more hours....
2018-1-22
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-1-22 12:12
Yes, I think you are right.
Everything Spark has and a little more.
Now some of us will complain about missing features for sure, but this might be a nice drone.

"Now some of us will complain about missing features for sure"

We always complain about something...LOL
2018-1-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-22 12:16

Gheghegheghe.
Yes, never truly satisfied.
2018-1-22
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-22 12:16

Plus there will be the usual onslaught of 'My Mavic Air flew away!' and the ever popular 'My Mavic Air fell out of the sky!' threads.
2018-1-22
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-1-22 13:50
Plus there will be the usual onslaught of 'My Mavic Air flew away!' and the ever popular 'My Mavic Air fell out of the sky!' threads.

True.  Lots of "drone's fault" threads from photographers flying with the wind, over the ocean, until 40 percent battery and figuring it is the drone's fault it didn't make it back against the wind.  Of course the poster massages the story so we have to dig to find the truth.

It is like finding a unicorn when a photographer posts an airborne photo where the Spark is not over a body of water.  
2018-1-22
Use props
Dandoy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 827 ft
Canada

Is the MavAir will be called the “Spark” killer? Will Spark be Obselete that Fast? Scarry...!
2018-1-22
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dandoy Posted at 2018-1-22 18:55
Is the MavAir will be called the “Spark” killer? Will Spark be Obselete that Fast? Scarry...!

No, the DJI Spark is still a great little drone to fly around.  I'll still be flying my SPARK!  
2018-1-23
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

I do question is there room for a spark2 now with the Mavic Air announcement.  The differentiation between products is getting smalller and smaller.  

TBH, i knew what I was getting into with the spark.  If I wanted all the features, I would have got the mavic.  For me as a hobbyist, the Spark is fine.  If I had one wish, it would be for better battery life.

The Mavic Air pretty much addresses most of the “shortcomings” people complain about.   

I may be tempted i a year or so, but i would like to know how the noise levels compare.   I love the size and relative discreteness of the spark...Mavic Air is bigger, but is it noisier too ?
2018-1-23
Use props
RGMGFitness
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cookster670 Posted at 2018-1-23 13:01
I do question is there room for a spark2 now with the Mavic Air announcement.  The differentiation between products is getting smalller and smaller.  

TBH, i knew what I was getting into with the spark.  If I wanted all the features, I would have got the mavic.  For me as a hobbyist, the Spark is fine.  If I had one wish, it would be for better battery life.

Correction to previous comments.  I just saw a review and they measured the noise as follows;

Spark =        82.7dBA                <----------Loudest
Marvic Air = 82.1dBA                  <---------Middle (but similar to SPARK)
Mavic Pro / Platinum = 77.3dBA  <----------Quietest
2018-1-23
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

RGMGFitness Posted at 2018-1-23 13:10
Correction to previous comments.  I just saw a review and they measured the noise as follows;

Spark =        82.7dBA

Thanks for that

So to me, this sounds like the end of the spark line.  Other than cost, why would you not by the Air.

Unlike many others though, I have no buyers regret.   If anything it's more exciting to know that DJI is continuing to listen to it's customers and uplift their products.

The spark still works fine for me and will stick with it for some time
2018-1-23
Use props
hackeron
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Cookster670 Posted at 2018-1-23 13:41
Thanks for that

So to me, this sounds like the end of the spark line.  Other than cost, why would you not by the Air.

I think cost is still a big factor here: £360 vs £630 for the Air is quite substantial, plus I think the Spark still has some tangible advantages: I open the foam box and it takes off right away, I don't need to flip out the arms and landing gear, it's more durable in a crash, the batteries are cheaper and lighter and I can stomach the risk of flying it in bad weather and potentially losing it. I don't think I would fly the Air nearly as much for this reason alone. Like earlier today I flew my Spark in the rain with 50mph gusts, it did an amazing job!

Maybe that's just me trying to convince myself not to spend the money on an upgrade - plus I'm waiting to see what the Mavic 2 will be like
2018-4-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Cookster670 Posted at 2018-1-23 13:41
Thanks for that

I think Spark is a great tool.
And not too expensive either.
You will have a lot of fun with it I am sure.
2018-4-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

hackeron Posted at 2018-4-2 12:21
I think cost is still a big factor here: £360 vs £630 for the Air is quite substantial, plus I think the Spark still has some tangible advantages: I open the foam box and it takes off right away, I don't need to flip out the arms and landing gear, it's more durable in a crash, the batteries are cheaper and lighter and I can stomach the risk of flying it in bad weather and potentially losing it. I don't think I would fly the Air nearly as much for this reason alone. Like earlier today I flew my Spark in the rain with 50mph gusts, it did an amazing job!

Maybe that's just me trying to convince myself not to spend the money on an upgrade - plus I'm waiting to see what the Mavic 2 will be like

Oh yes, I understand your point of view.
The only thing holding me back buying a Spark is the limitation of 30fps video.
That is hard to combine with my other camera's that shoot 25 fps. (or 50fps)
2018-4-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules