Redundancy (parachute) system for Mavic Pro
2513 34 2018-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mikelnz
lvl.1
New Zealand

Hi, for a permit flying over a crowd I need a redundancy (parachute) system for my Mavic Pro, Can anyone share links to any current and reliable systems available? Cheers Mikel

2018-1-20
Use props
Tango_B
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2891473 ft
Australia

https://www.marsparachutes.com/product/productmars-mini/
2018-1-20
Use props
Mikelnz
lvl.1
New Zealand

Tango_B Posted at 2018-1-20 16:05
https://www.marsparachutes.com/product/productmars-mini/

Have you seen this in use? I was looking at this but don't see any reference to being used with a Mavic Pro, or how to install

Cheers
Mikel
2018-1-20
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

i cant image a scenario where a parachute for mavic will make any difference - would be interesting to know even a hypothetical scenario
2018-1-20
Use props
Mikelnz
lvl.1
New Zealand

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-1-20 16:31
i cant image a scenario where a parachute for mavic will make any difference - would be interesting to know even a hypothetical scenario

Its more politics than practicality,
Unfortunately many clients new to this industry develop rules that are not based on what we know as professional UAV pilots. Even though education comes with working with these clients we still need to work under their existing rules to establish a relationship and in so to give them a new understanding.

Thanks for you comment though its not exactly working to the solution lol
2018-1-20
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Don't they have any dimensions the apparatus/parachute should be and also the color of it. Talk to the person that used to do whatever it is you're doing etc. Sounds like they have no idea what they want you to do.  
2018-1-20
Use props
eman_vg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1015440 ft
United States

That is still in development, here is a parachute, although I'm not too sure about its effectiveness with the Mavic, https://www.marsparachutes.com/product/productmars-mini/ I know that there are multiple companies developing a parachute system and some are in the testing phase, they just have to figure out the kinks and there'll be a parachute for these drones soon.
2018-1-20
Use props
Mikelnz
lvl.1
New Zealand

rolling56 Posted at 2018-1-20 17:11
Don't they have any dimensions the apparatus/parachute should be and also the color of it. Talk to the person that used to do whatever it is you're doing etc. Sounds like they have no idea what they want you to do.

its aviation regulations in my country... and a requirement under my operations manual So i would say they know a little bit to ask me this.

just checking do you have any links or professional knowledge to put forward on this topic?
2018-1-20
Use props
Mikelnz
lvl.1
New Zealand

eman_vg Posted at 2018-1-20 17:13
That is still in development, here is a parachute, although I'm not too sure about its effectiveness with the Mavic, https://www.marsparachutes.com/product/productmars-mini/ I know that there are multiple companies developing a parachute system and some are in the testing phase, they just have to figure out the kinks and there'll be a parachute for these drones soon.

Thanks for the insight. Good to know

M
2018-1-20
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Mikelnz Posted at 2018-1-20 17:17
its aviation regulations in my country... and a requirement under my operations manual So i would say they know a little bit to ask me this.

just checking do you have any links or professional knowledge to put forward on this topic?

I cannot look for something that doesn't have specifications/requirements like description, dimensions or color so no cannot help
2018-1-20
Use props
Mikelnz
lvl.1
New Zealand

rolling56 Posted at 2018-1-20 17:24
I cannot look for something that doesn't have specifications/requirements like description, dimensions or color so no cannot help

something affective for a Mavic Pro (no specific color required)
This is (idea behind the rule..though rule might be silly it still exists) to slow down the fall velocity of a UAV (in this case for a Mavic Pro) if it losses power over a crowd to a safer range at impact

M
2018-1-20
Use props
Hexacopter
lvl.4

Australia

Don't fly over crowds, read the rules. This is a bad practice
* hex *
2018-1-20
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624 ft
Australia

Hexacopter Posted at 2018-1-20 21:07
* hex *

Hex, he is applying for a permit to do exactly that. No one said it cant be done without measures in place to mitigate liability.
If thats a condition required, then thats what the OP is asking advice on.
2018-1-20
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Australia

Have you seen the rules in OZ for flying closer than 30 mtrs to people??

Any operation within 30m of non-operational personnel requires the following equipment as a minimum.

The RPA must have a dual parallel redundant battery system with duplicated battery mountings and demonstrated ability to fly safely with one motor inoperative at the maximum take-off weight for the operation.
    GPS hold and return to home function must be operational with a minimum reception of at least 7 GNSS satellites.
2018-1-20
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

another link, but looks to big for the Mavic

https://fruitychutes.com/uav_rpv_drone_recovery_parachutes.htm
2018-1-21
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14237874 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mikelnz Posted at 2018-1-20 17:17

just checking do you have any links or professional knowledge to put forward on this topic?

This is a first - a legal requirement to attach a parachute onto a drone that weighs 734g in order to fly for commercial gain... I wonder if the people enforcing these rules in your country have ever seen a DJI Mavic Pro? This is clearly political rather than practical.
2018-1-21
Use props
Tango_B
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2891473 ft
Australia

Mikelnz Posted at 2018-1-20 16:14
Have you seen this in use? I was looking at this but don't see any reference to being used with a Mavic Pro, or how to install

Cheers

I haven't seen it in use, but I know that they can be mounted on Phantoms. I honestly can't tell you much more unfortunately.
2018-1-21
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Australia

A CW Posted at 2018-1-21 03:34
This is a first - a legal requirement to attach a parachute onto a drone that weighs 734g in order to fly for commercial gain... I wonder if the people enforcing these rules in your country have ever seen a DJI Mavic Pro? This is clearly political rather than practical.

Nah I dont think thats it @A CW, he wants to fly over a crowd, that is normally not permitted, So I'm assuming its a special request, with 'special' requirements???
2018-1-21
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Unlike a fixed wing AC, I don't see how a parachute can clear the 4 blades without getting tangled up
2018-1-21
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Simmo1 Posted at 2018-1-21 22:09
Nah I dont think thats it @A CW, he wants to fly over a crowd, that is normally not permitted, So I'm assuming its a special request, with 'special' requirements???

Flying over crowds is not permitted in the UK but if it's for a commercial operation and you hold a PfCO qualification the CAA will generally grant a waiver and no, I wouldn't need a parachute on my drone to get one LOL
2018-1-22
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Australia

Not the point old mate!!! He's asked for a permit to do something not normally authorised....
The permit people have said, "you need a parachute" You also need to be wearing pink Bunny ears as the pilot....
So this is what the OP is asking....
2018-1-22
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Australia

lannes Posted at 2018-1-21 22:17
Unlike a fixed wing AC, I don't see how a parachute can clear the 4 blades without getting tangled up

How do you think ballistic parachute work?
2018-1-22
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Simmo1 Posted at 2018-1-22 03:23
Not the point old mate!!! He's asked for a permit to do something not normally authorised....
The permit people have said, "you need a parachute" You also need to be wearing pink Bunny ears as the pilot....
So this is what the OP is asking....

I understand that but my point is the reason why he needs a parachute seems more political than practical given that I do not know any other country that requires this to obtain a waiver/permit from a national aviation authority to fly over people in a commercial operation. Political in the sense of it being an OTT requirement by the authorities to do it.
2018-1-22
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Simmo1 Posted at 2018-1-22 03:26
How do you think ballistic parachute work?

Yep, understand that but there are still strings attached to the AC from the parachute. Not sure where the tether points on a Mavic body would be.

So how would you deploy it, from below so that when you opens, the AC will be upside down and the motors would have shut off ?

Can't see some one having enough time to manually CSC the motors and wait the blades to stop then deploy the chute, especially if the AC is going haywire
2018-1-22
Use props
Mikelnz
lvl.1
New Zealand

Hexacopter Posted at 2018-1-20 21:07
* hex *

Hi Hex, you might of guessed my now i'm not a recreational UAV pilot and my OP allows for flights over crowds. I have a inspire 1 which i've used for this in the past and just looking into parachute products for a Mavic Pro.

I agree do not fly over crowds unless you have worked in with regulations, done a risk management assessment and apply the appropriate equipment for the conditions.

Cheers
Mikel
2018-1-22
Use props
Mikelnz
lvl.1
New Zealand

A CW Posted at 2018-1-22 01:09
Flying over crowds is not permitted in the UK but if it's for a commercial operation and you hold a PfCO qualification the CAA will generally grant a waiver and no, I wouldn't need a parachute on my drone to get one LOL

I have the equivalent qualification here and have operated an Inspire 1 over crowds though this area will better suit my Mavic Pro.
2018-1-22
Use props
Mikelnz
lvl.1
New Zealand

A CW Posted at 2018-1-21 03:34
This is a first - a legal requirement to attach a parachute onto a drone that weighs 734g in order to fly for commercial gain... I wonder if the people enforcing these rules in your country have ever seen a DJI Mavic Pro? This is clearly political rather than practical.

You mean the CAA who wrote my operations manual?  ...maybe they don't though a lot of things in this new industry is not perfect and I wish I wrote or had a massive influence in rule making at times.

Thanks for you info on possible parachutes for the Mavic pro  
M
2018-1-22
Use props
Hexacopter
lvl.4

Australia

That's ok. I did not realise that you were commercially qualified.
Here in Oz, even with my CASA licence, the insurance policy is explicit about following CASA regulations to the letter.

One interesting thing is that nobody can give me a precise definition as to what constitutes a 'Crowd '

* hex *   
2018-1-22
Use props
Mikelnz
lvl.1
New Zealand

Hexacopter Posted at 2018-1-22 13:09
Here in Oz, even with my CASA licence, the insurance policy is explicit about following CASA regulations to the letter.

Haha, thats classic.

The industry is full of grey areas. I've talked to different officials and had different replies. One thing is gets everything in writing (email) do a risk management document and log flight appropriately. Australia must be going through the same as lot of the world with some ambiguous information.

My 79 pg Ops manual is quite a read.
M
2018-1-22
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hexacopter Posted at 2018-1-22 13:09

Under the UKCAA a congested area is defined as more than 1,000 people - think open air concerts, football stadiums and alike.
2018-1-22
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mikelnz Posted at 2018-1-22 13:07
You mean the CAA who wrote my operations manual?  ...maybe they don't though a lot of things in this new industry is not perfect and I wish I wrote or had a massive influence in rule making at times.

Thanks for you info on possible parachutes for the Mavic pro  

They wrote it? Oh, in the UK to qualify for a PfCO you have to write the manual yourself. Sorry, can't help specifcally on parachutes as not required here but interesting to see how the regulations change so vastly between countries. A

2018-1-22
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Australia

4. Populous areas - for RPA operations, does not have its common meaning. Rather, it is defined in the regulations as:
…an area [that] has a sufficient density of population for some aspect of the operation, or some event that might happen during the operation (in particular, a fault in, or failure of, the aircraft…) to pose an unreasonable risk to the life, safety or property of somebody who is in the area but is not connected with the operation.
For example, if a rotorcraft-type RPA is flying at a relatively low height (i.e. ~30 m/100 ft) directly above a single person not associated with the flight, it may be considered to be operating in a populous area due to the fact that a complete loss of power may cause injury to the person below. Similarly, an RPA operating over a large public gathering at a higher level (e.g. 120 m/400 ft) would pose an unreasonable risk to the safety of the people below because, in the event of a systems failure, it may not be able to clear the area. This interpretation would apply equally to higher flight over built-up areas where there is a greater risk to property.
2018-1-22
Use props
Gene E
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8012 ft

Hi Everyone, we just released this product designed specifically for the Mavic Pro:

https://fruitychutes.com/buyachu ... r-system-p-256.html

It's uses SLS printing to make a light weight mount that holds the parachute launcher, small battery, and the fail safe system in an optimal position to not interfere with the flight or operation of the Mavic pro.

-Gene
2018-4-22
Use props
Gene E
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8012 ft

See https://fruitychutes.com/buyachu ... r-system-p-256.html
2018-4-22
Use props
Mountaindrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 27577845 ft