(Rant) Can we stop using Flight Range as a Metric for a buying po...
906 8 2018-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Zimmermanj87
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2774298 ft
  • >>>
United States

I see a lot of people dissing on the Air compared to the Mavic with one of the reasons being Range.  Come on..real world applications theres no way you can keep LoS miles away. At least here in the States you need to have LoS on the drone at all times. In Practice 9/10 no one is doing that you should be but its probably not going to happen. I just think its silly to use that as a point.
2018-1-24
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

So true, I always use a 500m geofence but the max range does say something about the transmission quality.  I expect the long range machines would be less susceptible to interference at shorter range.
2018-1-24
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

I fully agree (it is certainly the same in most countries of the world) but have a possible explanation. Apart of flight time, theoretical range and Occusync, the Mavic Air is clearly superior to both other Mavics and strictly speaking is the first Mavic 2 with a big brother to come (I expect). It is understandable that this is a bit hard to accept for the present Mavic owners as it is for those who have recently bought a Spark.
2018-1-24
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

That's because most of us don't respect the LoS rule ;)
2018-1-24
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Canada

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-24 08:35
I fully agree (it is certainly the same in most countries of the world) but have a possible explanation. Apart of flight time, theoretical range and Occusync, the Mavic Air is clearly superior to both other Mavics and strictly speaking is the first Mavic 2 with a big brother to come (I expect). It is understandable that this is a bit hard to accept for the present Mavic owners as it is for those who have recently bought a Spark.

Nope, you're wrong. If you read anything in the last weeks you would have seen that most people on this forum were hoping to see a Mavic 2 that's actually better than the MP. A better drone coming out doesn't make your current drone bad.

However, the air is not better. It only has slight advantages on the camera and a back sensor. Is that worth losing 6 minutes of flight time and Occusync? No it's not. This is clearly not intended to be a Mavic 2.
2018-1-24
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-24 08:48
Nope, you're wrong. Most people on this forum were hoping to see a Mavic 2 that's actually better than the MP. A better drone coming out doesn't make your current drone bad.

However, the air is not better. It only has slight advantages on the camera and a back sensor. Is that worth losing 6 minutes of flight time and Occusync? No it's not. This is clearly not intended to be a Mavic 2.

The Mavic 2 (or whatever it will be called) will come without doubt, you did not read my post properly or didn't understand it, sorry.
2018-1-24
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-24 08:48
Nope, you're wrong. Most people on this forum were hoping to see a Mavic 2 that's actually better than the MP. A better drone coming out doesn't make your current drone bad.

However, the air is not better. It only has slight advantages on the camera and a back sensor. Is that worth losing 6 minutes of flight time and Occusync? No it's not. This is clearly not intended to be a Mavic 2.

Totally agree.
2018-1-24
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Canada

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-24 08:52
The Mavic 2 (or whatever it will be called) will come without doubt, you did not read my post properly or didn't understand it, sorry.

Looks like you didn't read my post. You said that AIR is strictly superior to PRO and PLATINUM, and I say that is not. I'm not talking about MAVIC 2 coming out or not
2018-1-24
Use props
Harbourside
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

All those people trying to get a rise out of us Mavic Pro owners by saying the Air is superior seem to miss one important fact, the remote is lacking a screen that displays enough information to safely fly without a phone attached, so if your app or phone crashes, which seems to happen a lot to some people, you will have no idea of distance, height or speed.
The Air fills the gap in the market between the Spark and Mavic Pro, its not an "upgrade" for us Mavic Pro owners and not marketed as such.
Now don't get me wrong, i think the Air is an amazing product in its class, but its not a Mavic Pro II.
2018-1-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules