Buying a Spark in the US to use in UK/EU
3350 15 2018-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gibbon
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi all,

quick one,  I'm flying over to the US soon and might purchase a spark (fly more combo) as they are a fair bit cheaper over there.   Can anyone confirm if there will be any functional issues with using a US drone with a UK region settings phone (i guess that is the only real way it would know it isn't in the US).   I appriciate that there are regulation differences (FCC and EU etc) but for the time being that isn't going to affect me as I plan on using it mostly when I'm travelling around the world (not just EU) and in the middle of no-where/deserts etc.

Cheers
2018-1-26
Use props
gibbon
lvl.2

United Kingdom

ah ok, neither are an issue (i'm buying a used one anyway)
2018-1-26
Use props
Vulcan-XH558
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62054 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry, deleted my post until I could verify that the refresh info was correct.

The charger lead terminates to a standard figure of 8 lead, which you'll have laying around the house anyway.
2018-1-26
Use props
gibbon
lvl.2

United Kingdom

no probs,  yeah i've got a bunch of cables and travel adapters i could use ! thanks dude
2018-1-26
Use props
gibbon
lvl.2

United Kingdom

also, the regulation thing.  is it software based (ie the app knows where it is in the world so restricts it accordingly) or is it hardware based (ie it applies those restrictions at all times)?
as i read that the FCC and EU regulations thing makes a fair bit of difference to the distance allowed to fly away from the controller. (and prob frequencies too)
2018-1-26
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

You SHOULD activate it in FCC area, which means direct in the US.
This way there is the chance, it will ask you in CE areas if you agree to switch to local (CE) rules.
2018-1-26
Use props
SOUNDWAVE439
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115597 ft
United States

There should not be any issues but you do need to adjust some settings complying with Uavs
2018-1-26
Use props
djiuser_KTGNT1D
lvl.2
United Kingdom

You will have no issues minus the comment the poster above mentioned about needing a UK figure of 8 adapter which is easily available, I purchased mine in the US and it works great!
2018-1-26
Use props
gibbon
lvl.2

United Kingdom

ah thanks guys, looks like i'm SOL anyway.  The ones i wanted to get are on ebay and none of the sellers will ship to a non-registered paypal address (needed it shipping to my hotel).   
bah.  was a good idea while i had it. ho hum
2018-1-26
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

gibbon Posted at 2018-1-26 02:48
ah ok, neither are an issue (i'm buying a used one anyway)

Sir, please note that if you buy it in US. You should send it back to repair in US. Thanks for your support.
2018-1-26
Use props
gibbon
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-1-26 22:22
Sir, please note that if you buy it in US. You should send it back to repair in US. Thanks for your support.

wow, an international company in this day and age that doesn't offer international warranty for products many people will use on their travels.   thats pretty lame.
that and the fact that you're messing everyone around with not confirming about the OTG situation has put me off buying DJI anyway to be quite honest.

Thanks for the reply though.
2018-1-27
Use props
Brightlights200
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1001 ft
United Kingdom

I’m selling a Spark fly more combo in white in the UK with only 2 hours 11 minutes flight time & 4 batteries in total, I also have the new charging station which holds the spark & 2 further batteries & the hard carrying case which holds the charging station & the RC controller. PM me if you are interested?.
2018-1-27
Use props
gibbon
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thanks but it's most likely going to be more than. £350 which is what I expected to pay in the US.
2018-1-27
Use props
Brightlights200
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1001 ft
United Kingdom

gibbon Posted at 2018-1-27 01:05
Thanks but it's most likely going to be more than. £350 which is what I expected to pay in the US.

I’ve already been offered £415 in trade in due to all of the extras I’ve got & the nearly new condition with original box’s so it would have to be just above that, you can have a think about it no rush just let me know.
Either way enjoy your drone & safe flying.
2018-1-27
Use props
gibbon
lvl.2

United Kingdom

No worries. I wasn't meaning it was overpriced. For the UK that's a good price. Just that I was looking at USA prices since I was over there.  But saying that , the lack of international support and the otg thing has seriously put me off dji
2018-1-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Brightlights200 Posted at 2018-1-27 09:52
I’ve already been offered £415 in trade in due to all of the extras I’ve got & the nearly new condition with original box’s so it would have to be just above that, you can have a think about it no rush just let me know.
Either way enjoy your drone & safe flying.

Geez, the prices have dropped on the Spark - I sold my basic fly more combo with 2 batteries and no charging station for £500 last October.
2018-1-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules