My Drone Videos.
760 16 2018-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MavicMatt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68330 ft
United States

Hey all. So I FINALLY got around to editing the first video I EVER shot with my DJI Mavic Pro. Given this was a decent while back, it's not the best. But figured I should start some where. I really want to make this a hobby... So you can expect more videos from me in the future!! Any feedback is GREATLY appreicated. Thanks!

[EDIT:] I figured I'd just keep this an on-going topic as a place for me to share my random Drone videos instead of starting a new topic for every video. So check back often for new stuff!

~Matt

2018-1-29
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

hey matt - thats a really good start - many months in and i do not think my image clarity is as good as yours. better videographers than me may have critiques to offer but not me - well done. also your pans are smooth - thats good too
2018-1-29
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done for your first video. A little more horizons a few pans but nicely done.
2018-1-29
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dude, stay away from Cell towers and flying over cars... extremely dangerous!!!
2018-1-29
Use props
Brian88
lvl.3
Flight distance : 385942 ft
United States

Great flight maneuvers. Not sure why you just stopped flight in the middle of the clip around 20 sec.?  I'd ditch the cheesy transitions. hard cuts that tell a story are very effective.
2018-1-29
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Nice work.  I agree with Brian88 on transitions.  I used to use them a lot, then read a professional who advised against them.  You rarely see any in professional movies or videos.  I've stopped using transitions  since.  Also, I watch these videos at full screen on my 28 inch monitor.  Your video is a bit "jerky" throughout.  I'm not sure why, but I recall reading once that shutter speed can cause that (and I think it was "too fast" shutter speeds, although that sounds counter intuitive).    Anyway, take another look and see if you agree.    Compare to other videos on this forum and I think you'll see that yours is doing that more than the others.
2018-1-29
Use props
Retired Captain
lvl.1

United States

Really good job
2018-1-29
Use props
MavicMatt
lvl.2
United States

Brian88 Posted at 2018-1-29 15:53
Great flight maneuvers. Not sure why you just stopped flight in the middle of the clip around 20 sec.?  I'd ditch the cheesy transitions. hard cuts that tell a story are very effective.

The only reason I stopped flying mid flight was because from where I was standing I couldn't tell how close I was to the towers in the video. (It looked a lot closer from my point of view.)
2018-1-29
Use props
MavicMatt
lvl.2
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-1-29 17:58
Nice work.  I agree with Brian88 on transitions.  I used to use them a lot, then read a professional who advised against them.  You rarely see any in professional movies or videos.  I've stopped using transitions  since.  Also, I watch these videos at full screen on my 28 inch monitor.  Your video is a bit "jerky" throughout.  I'm not sure why, but I recall reading once that shutter speed can cause that (and I think it was "too fast" shutter speeds, although that sounds counter intuitive).    Anyway, take another look and see if you agree.    Compare to other videos on this forum and I think you'll see that yours is doing that more than the others.

I do see what you are talking about. I didn't notice it at first. I'll try a different shutter speed next time to see how it works!!

(And I agree, the transitions didn't really come out how I was wanting... So I'll avoid them moving forward!)

Thanks for the feedback!
(EDIT: Sorry for the double post. . . Still trying to figure out how to use these forums)
2018-1-29
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2103150 ft
United States

Fast shutter speeds = Jerky footage:

(The following assumes there's adequate light for each scenario)

When you take a photograph you are freezing a moment in time.

• Scenario 1: If the shutter is open for a long time, anything in the frame that is moving (or everything in the frame, if the camera itself is moving!), will be blurred when the shutter closes. This results in, you guessed it, blurry videos, where every moving objects is blurred.
  • Scenario 2: If the shutter speed is very fast (a relative term), then you are freezing all movement of all objects in the frame. You're also freezing all movement of the camera. This looks strange, because the human eye/brain doesn't see moving images as a series of sharp, individual images with all movement frozen. The fact that there a little blur helps us recognize that objects actually are moving. When that motion blur is missing, the video looks staccato/jerky... There's nothing joining one image to the other... Moving objects just disappear from one area of the screen, and reappear instantly somewhere else...a footstep away! If the camera is moving, because the drone is flying asking a path, then the entire image is disappearing and reappearing every frame, resulting in jarring, jerky video.
  • Scenario 3: If the shutter speed is open for just the right amount of time, based on how long the sensor is actively capturing the image, then there will be both sharp, in focus objects, and slight blurring of objects that are moving (because the image is captured progressively from the "top" to the "bottom" of the sensor over the duration of time the sensor is active). This is what the eye/brain expects to see.

A frame rate of 24fps is the slowest frame rate which mimics how the eyes/brain perceive movement... A sharp image, followed by a lingering after image (persistence of vision).

At 24fps, if you expose the sensor for half of the time that the sensor is actively capturing the image (1/48 second), then your capturing images which contain both sharp objects, and a small amount of motion blur... Almost exactly what the eye sees naturally.

If you increase the frame rate and increase the shutter speed accordingly, so that it's still 1/2 frame rate, you begin to freeze all motion in the individual frames again, leading to the staccato/jerky motion effect described in scenario 2, above. So, to keep the video smooth and natural looking, keep the frame rate at 24 or 30fps, and the shutter speed at 1/50 or 1/60 second respectively. Of course, if you want a staccato effect, like the scene at the beginning of Saving Private Ryan, then throw away this 180-degree rule.
2018-1-29
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Jyunte Posted at 2018-1-29 19:48
Fast shutter speeds = Jerky footage:

(The following assumes there's adequate light for each scenario)

Thanks Jyunte.  That was a great summary of what happens at various settings.  One thing I'd add (and you posting made me remember it) is that the major exception to this rule of 24 fps and 1/48 shutter speed is if the videographer expects to do anything in slow motion.  If so, those settings will not come out right.  Both need to be doubled in that case.
2018-1-29
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2103150 ft
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-1-29 20:12
Thanks Jyunte.  That was a great summary of what happens at various settings.  One thing I'd add (and you posting made me remember it) is that the major exception to this rule of 24 fps and 1/48 shutter speed is if the videographer expects to do anything in slow motion.  If so, those settings will not come out right.  Both need to be doubled in that case.

Yes... But slow motion is not smooth and natural looking. It's an effect, just as shooting at a high shutter speed to get the staccato effect is an effect. The film maker can choose to go for an "effect", or it can happen accidentally.

One thing I didn't mention was how frame rate also places restrictions on camera movement. Slow frame rate require slow panning movements or the image just ends up a blur, which has the effect of making everything look like a whip pan (the eye can't differentiate anything from anything else in the frame). So, filming at 24fps?... Slow down your turns as you fly!
2018-1-29
Use props
Brian88
lvl.3
United States

Nice work.  I agree with Brian88 on transitions.  I used to use them a lot, then read a professional who advised against them.  You rarely see any in professional movies or videos.  I've stopped using transitions  since.  Also, I watch these videos at full screen on my 28 inch monitor.  Your video is a bit "jerky" throughout.  I'm not sure why, but I recall reading once that shutter speed can cause that (and I think it was "too fast" shutter speeds, although that sounds counter intuitive).    Anyway, take another look and see if you agree.    Compare to other videos on this forum and I think you'll see that yours is doing that more than the others.

Correct. You should follow whats called the 180 shutter rule. The shutter speed should be double your frame rate. 24fps = 1/150th shutter speed. You will most likely need ND filters to properly expose since the Mavic doesn't have aperture control
2018-1-30
Use props
Brian88
lvl.3
United States

MavicMatt Posted at 2018-1-29 18:33
The only reason I stopped flying mid flight was because from where I was standing I couldn't tell how close I was to the towers in the video. (It looked a lot closer from my point of view.)

It's cool to stop mid-flight so you don't hit anything, I would just cut to a new scene at that point. keep the flow going.
2018-1-30
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft
United Kingdom

Good start , remember to fly safe
2018-1-30
Use props
Matthew Chirico
First Officer
Flight distance : 769160 ft
United States

Brian88 Posted at 2018-1-29 15:53

I agree. It's allllllllllllll about telling a story!
2018-1-30
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

Nice video. I don't have too much to add to what's been said above. I enjoyed the video and liked the opening animation. Looking forward to more!
2018-1-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules