How accurate is "Find my Phantom 2?"
5017 16 2014-10-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
smeredith2
lvl.1

United States

Recently lost my new Phantom 2+ due to unexpected high winds at altitude in the mountains. The "Find my Phantom" is pinning to a location in line to where we saw it descend after loosing contact.  The wind was too strong to "return to home," we saw it fighting it as it was being pushed.  We were walking the point on the map and was actually right on top of where it says it landed (?)  but it was night and that worked against us.  

How accurate would that location be, hundreds of feet or yards or...?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I'm im panick mode since last night!
2014-10-27
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

It should be very accurate, down to a few feet.
Although it will only show the last position it had GPS lock, but in your case that would not be a problem.
The only issue I have had with it was returning home from 3 successful GPS flights and viewing the app later it showed the phantom in the previous weeks location. Despite full home lock where I was flying that day.
2014-10-27
Use props
smeredith2
lvl.1

United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2014-10-27 23:30
It should be very accurate, down to a few feet.
Although it will only show the last position it had  ...

Thanks.  This was definitely the area I was in, never visited it before...  So I'm hoping a search in daylight will be better than search lights and 4-wheelers!  
2014-10-27
Use props
robbin.bergqvis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 59839 ft

Croatia

If the phantom flew out of wifi range, you will not have the correct position.
This is just last KNOWN position.

Happy hunting.
2014-10-27
Use props
DJI-Blair
lvl.2

China

It will show the last position it had GPS.
Happy hunting~
2014-10-27
Use props
DJI-Blair
lvl.2

China

2014-10-27
Use props
smeredith2
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Blair Posted at 2014-10-28 14:11

Well, I found it and it was in great shape...  It took over a week of searching!  Here's a link to a map, on Facebook, of my exploits.   As you can see, it strayed about two miles from the last known GPS fix. In the video, you can see it spinning around and hovering that area for an extended time.  I had lost control some time before....  

Search Map and Found!

Here's the video that it recorded, 16 minutes of Terror, at least in my mind.  It looked like it was taking a Sunday stroll...
Video Journey
2014-11-14
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

smeredith2@mac. Posted at 2014-11-15 02:42
Well, I found it and it was in great shape...  It took over a week of searching!  Here's a link to ...

Well I bet that answers your question with a bit more accuracy, Useful information for all those that lost one.
Glad you got it back you lucky ***{:2_31:}
2014-11-14
Use props
smeredith2
lvl.1

United States

mixstreme Posted at 2014-11-15 02:48
Well I bet that answers your question with a bit more accuracy, Useful information for all those t ...

Luck always rewards hard work.  I tramped over that ground for over a week in "Montana Fall" weather. The location is about 35 miles from my home so, long drives, cold nights.

But I'm very happy I found the bugger!
2014-11-14
Use props
away-point
lvl.3

United States

That's great you found her!  

Always a good idea to try and learn from a mishap, so what would you say you learned?

Just a guess, but I'd say good chance those prop guards were a contributing factor.  The without that loss in performance, it _may_ have been able to over come the wind in getting back to you.

Couple of things I've come to realize/try to keep in mind, is the different performance characteristics in the different flight modes.  ATTI mode is fastest, GPS mode is a bit slower, and IOC modes are slower still.  If you're fighting wind in returning "home", IOC is not the best choice, since it's the slowest mode, and there is no telling what the yaw angle of attack is to direction of travel (may be well end up traveling in a yaw rotation which is less efficient).  IF a good FPV visual is available, ATTI mode is best at fighting a wind, BUT can also make things worse VERY QUICKLY if the heading is allowed to change (no GPS assistance here).  When FPV isn't solid, Fail Safe is the best bet.  Aims the Phantom directly at "home" (front of Phantom faces forward, unlike IOC), and has better top-end than IOC.
2014-11-14
Use props
smeredith2
lvl.1

United States

away-point Posted at 2014-11-15 09:29
That's great you found her!  

Always a good idea to try and learn from a mishap, so what would you  ...

Oh yea, learned a great deal from that incident!  

First, don't panic. The second you see things get out of control, bring it down.  Looking at the video, I can see many opportunities to have set it down in a clearing or two.  

Practice more.  Learn the different flying modes.  

I wasn't aware that 3rd party controllers had more range, looking into that now...
2014-11-15
Use props
whyley27
lvl.2

United Kingdom

might be worth looking it getting a seperate gps locator , or try one of these

http://www.loc8tor.com/uk/

nice job on the find tho.. bit of a ways out from where it said it was.
2014-11-15
Use props
smeredith2
lvl.1

United States

whyley27@sky.co Posted at 2014-11-16 00:34

http://www.loc8tor.c ...

I hope I don't get caught in that type of situation again!  
Another lesson learned; check the winds aloft before flight...  

I'm going to your suggested page now, looks interesting.

Just to show I'm not a total idiot flying these things...  Here's a video I made for my local TaeKwonDo school.  We have an "Adopt a Highway" program in Montana.  The local school here in Helena has a 2 mile section of highway locally called Lincoln Road between Helena and Lincoln, Montana where we pick up litter once a year.  I shot about 40 minutes of video, edited down to about 2 minutes.  I should have done some lens and color correction, but hey...

Lincoln Road Cleanup.

2014-11-15
Use props
whyley27
lvl.2

United Kingdom

nice vid..
this is my fist fpv heli.. also have a t-rex 600 also and edge 540 aero plane.. so i have been out before with RC..
looking forward to some good shots with a stable platform to shoot from. i have done a couple of vids on you tube but just around the local park.. test flight and all just trying out the ground station.

might have to do some more shots from different angles..

keep it flyin..
2014-11-15
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

whyley27@sky.co Posted at 2014-11-16 00:34

http://www.loc8tor.c ...

I use the TK102 GPS tracker, £25
2014-12-6
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

guymacdonald@ip Posted at 2014-12-6 07:28
I do not have FPV yet so this may be a dumb question!
Is there a way of recording the flight back  ...

There could be no data connection thus no signal in this scenario, the distance would be to great for a standard setup or just blocked by buildings/rocks/trees etc.
2014-12-6
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

tonyphantom147@ Posted at 2014-12-6 17:42
I use the TK102 GPS tracker, £25

I use this also, Its a great piece of mind...
2014-12-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules