New to the whole drone ordeal, recommendation for controller?
1724 9 2018-1-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rantanlan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 69698 ft
Germany

Hey there,

with the announcement of the Air i got excited and could hold off any longer. So I ordered the Air.
I already pulled up every ressource I could find and got me in position where I am ready to start with a new hobby ;)

The only question that remains, are there any experiences with the Air / Pro and a proper controller? Currently I have a Pixel 2 as my daily driver. Also in my possesion is the 'old' Nexus 6P and a N7 2013 tablet. I think I read that the N7 is a little to old to be used as a controller. And I hold off selling the 6P due to the bigger screen size.
Will I be happy with that choice flying the Air with the 6P or the Pixel 2? It seems the best current experience would be a Ipad mini, but this is a little out of my budget right now.

Appreaciate any input...

Cheers
2018-1-30
Use props
Droner500
lvl.4
United States

Well I don't have much experience with this kind of stuff, but in my personal opinion I would recommend a newer apple product. I would also recommend looking at the specs on the mavic air on the DJI website because sometimes they will recommend different devices to use.

Wish you luck and hope you find the answer, Droner500.   
2018-1-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

There are plenty of second hand iPads going very cheap.
2018-1-30
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

As others have said you could buy an Apple device but your Nexus 7 2013 will work perfectly fine. Plenty of Mavic pilots (including me) use it and it's perfect. it's not too old.
2018-1-30
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Due to the huge number of Android devices, it’s difficult to guarantee that the Go4 app will run faultlessly on every Android device.

The iOS version only has to support Apple stuff, so there’s less chance of incompatibilities.

I regularly read of issues with the Go4 app crashing, people complaining it’s rubbish, mostly from Android device users, I have run the Go and the Go4 app on multiple iOS devices, never had a disconnect or a crash, so I have stuck with it, apart from the Crystal Sky, although Android, it’s DJI’s implementation of the OS for their own hardware.

Again not had an issue with it yet, apart from a very slow update cycle!
2018-1-30
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

APP / LIVE VIEW

iOS Version v4.2.4.
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone SE, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4 and iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPod touch (6th generation). This app is optimized for iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus.
Android Version v4.2.4.
Android version 4.4.0 or later. Compatible with Samsung S8 ,Samsung S7 edge, Samsung S7, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Samsung tabs 705c, Ascend Mate 9, Ascend Mate 7, Huawei Honor 8, Huawei P8 Max, Vivo X7, Xiaomi 5, Google Nexus 6p, Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, LG V20.

*Support for additional devices available as testing and development continues.
2018-1-30
Use props
rantanlan
Second Officer
Germany

Thanks for all the Input, of course I saw the recommendation and official specs. Just thought someone would have any real live experience. I guess I'll go with the 6P as dedicated remote and see how that works ouf or me. After the current purchase my budget doesn't fit a Ipad, als I'm more of a android guy...
2018-1-30
Use props
rantanlan
Second Officer
Germany

Okay, can't edit a post older than 2 minutes? Thanks a new one... anyway:

Thanks MiniPalourde, will give the N7 also a try guess a bigger display is a... thought I read several posts that states they had issues lags and delays with it due to the age of the device.
2018-1-30
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

i have used the nexus 5, 5x, pixel, nexus 7, nexus 9 , huawai m3 and lg g5 all with few issues.  
2018-1-30
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi Rantanlan, Google Nexus 6p and  Google Nexus 7 II are on the support list, so it should work with the DJI GO 4 app. If users have an issue with the recommended device, please feel free to let us know, we would like to help. app.png
2018-1-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules