What happens when Mavic meets obstacles?
1015 5 2018-1-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Diversant
lvl.3
Flight distance : 112162 ft
Russia

Hi everyone! AFAIK Mavic turns off engines when props touch obstacles (branches, wires, walls, etc.)
But in this video it is clearly seen that engines keep running and Mavic doesn't crash to the ground.
Maybe I don't know something? Maybe old firmware just keeps engines running (which I consider better case) and newer firmware stops engines upon touching any obstacle.
Can anyone explain this? Just don't want try myself, not that cheap experiment ;)

2018-1-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Probably old FW and updated on the off chance that your face is the obstacle - I'm sure you'd want the motors to stop then eh!
2018-1-31
Use props
Diversant
lvl.3
Russia

A CW Posted at 2018-1-31 12:49
Probably old FW and updated on the off chance that your face is the obstacle - I'm sure you'd want the motors to stop then eh!

But I'm not going to be that near to drone. This collision could happen at the distance more than 10 meters, where I wouldn't notice some branches. And the height could be quite far from the ground. If drone would keep engines running, I think, it would stabilize and all OK (mostly m.b.), it would keep running. But not that hard crash into the ground.

PS I don't think I'm going to launch drone standing that close to obstacles that could injure myself.
2018-1-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You may not but the last I checked you were not the only person on this planet with a drone... Many do!
2018-1-31
Use props
Diversant
lvl.3
Russia

A CW Posted at 2018-1-31 23:06
You may not but the last I checked you were not the only person on this planet with a drone... Many do!

Still didn't understand you... You mean all that is for better good?
2018-2-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Diversant Posted at 2018-2-1 10:24
Still didn't understand you... You mean all that is for better good?

Yes - if the props hit an object it is better that the props stop instantaneously in order to prevent further damage to the drone and the object - which could of course be an animal or a person. There are many scenarios where a drone could accidentally hit a human such as malfunctioning over a quiet park - this is why many RC areas require 3rd party public liability to include bodily injury caused by drones. Upgrading the tech to stop the motors on impact is a very safe and sensible appraoch adopted by DJI which I totally endorse.
2018-2-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules