Choppy & Jittery Footage
1259 14 2018-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
blueb16
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4948 ft
United States

Hi All, just got my Spark yesterday & decided to stretch its wings today.  After retrieving the video I took, the footage is extremely choppy & jittery (see attached screenshot).  It went on throughout the entire video clip.  Just wondering if there is setting issue that I might've overlooked or something is wrong with the Spark.  Any input is greatly appreciated.  

-blueb16

Choppy

Choppy
2018-2-1
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

Is that from the SD card?
2018-2-1
Use props
blueb16
lvl.1
United States

Apparently, I set the footage to be recorded to "cache".  Still trying to figure out how to default it to save to SD card.  
2018-2-1
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

I’m still new so still learning, but the SD should still have the video on it, the cache is just what saves on your mobile device, I thought. Any experts want to chime in out there?
2018-2-1
Use props
blueb16
lvl.1
United States

Grmachine Posted at 2018-2-1 13:07
I’m still new so still learning, but the SD should still have the video on it, the cache is just what saves on your mobile device, I thought. Any experts want to chime in out there?

I think you are correct.  When I connected the Spark directly to my laptop, it shows the SD card was blank.  So I went back to check the settings and indeed it was set to save to "cache" rather than SD card.   Originally I thought it was transmission issue but it was not.  I just set it to save to SD card and took another flight, this time the footage was normal without any jitters or choppy.
2018-2-1
Use props
xfirf_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 194911 ft
Germany

Grmachine Posted at 2018-2-1 13:07
I’m still new so still learning, but the SD should still have the video on it, the cache is just what saves on your mobile device, I thought. Any experts want to chime in out there?

Yes. That is right. The full versions are stored in the sdcard. Just put them in a computer or plug the spark on and power it on. Then you can copy the files.
2018-2-1
Use props
Kaiserboy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 60302 ft
United States

blueb16 Posted at 2018-2-1 12:54
Apparently, I set the footage to be recorded to "cache".  Still trying to figure out how to default it to save to SD card.

Wait a minute, this sounds funny.  It saves to card no matter what, correct?  It's only the cache that you can turn off.  Am I wrong?

2018-2-1
Use props
Kaiserboy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 60302 ft
United States

blueb16 Posted at 2018-2-1 13:12
I think you are correct.  When I connected the Spark directly to my laptop, it shows the SD card was blank.  So I went back to check the settings and indeed it was set to save to "cache" rather than SD card.   Originally I thought it was transmission issue but it was not.  I just set it to save to SD card and took another flight, this time the footage was normal without any jitters or choppy.

There is something very wrong with this comment.  There is not an option to save only to cache, is there?  And so there is no way that "saving to card" made your video better, because it didn't happen.

On the yaw axis and the up/down of the camera, this bird gives choppy video with everything but the very slowest movements, and still then has bumps.
2018-2-1
Use props
blueb16
lvl.1
United States

Ok, I'm confused now.  So under the "General Settings" => Cache to SD Card is ON, Largest Video Cache Capacity is set on AUTO, and Auto Video Cache Cleanup is also set on "ON".  Now when I look for the video footage, it appears to be saved to my phone's SD Card, not Spark's.   Therefore when I connect Spark directly to my laptop, it does not show any footage saved.  However, when I connect my phone directly to the laptop and navigate to the folder "/storage/XXXX-XXXX/DJI/dji.go.v4/DJI_RECORD/ "  I'm able to see the footage.  

I must be doing something wrong.
2018-2-1
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

Did you try pulling the SD card from the Spark and reading it with computer?
2018-2-1
Use props
blueb16
lvl.1
United States

Grmachine Posted at 2018-2-1 13:50
Did you try pulling the SD card from the Spark and reading it with computer?

Yes I did.  It's also blank.
2018-2-1
Use props
DroneManDan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 67257 ft
United States

Uh oh! hope you get it fixed!!! I think you should check the SD card and see if the problem persists.
2018-2-1
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

So I just powered up and looked at settings, the Cache is on, and it still puts video straight to the SD card.
My SD card has 3 folders just like most other cameras, dcsim, misc. etc.

I would make sure the SD card is on the compatible list, and also format it through the DJI Go app, and if it doesn’t fix it, maybe you have a bad SD, it can happen.
2018-2-1
Use props
blueb16
lvl.1
United States

Grmachine Posted at 2018-2-1 14:21
So I just powered up and looked at settings, the Cache is on, and it still puts video straight to the SD card.
My SD card has 3 folders just like most other cameras, dcsim, misc. etc.

Understood.  Going to format the SD card using the app.  Will report back in a few.  Thank you all again!
2018-2-1
Use props
blueb16
lvl.1
United States

Success!  After formatting the SD card through the APP, the Spark now records to the SD card in the Spark, not the SD card in my phone.  Thank you Grmachine & everyone's help & input!
2018-2-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules